Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569313 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3210 on: January 26, 2011, 06:42:47 pm »

That won't be up 'til the adventurer skill arc. and Toady did mention a pasture for fort mode. I believe it was implemented for the next release.
*Hugs*

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: January 26, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »

High five fellow Virginian  :D

Actually at the moment I am getting snowed under on Cape Cod with my grandmother. It'd be a perfect day for DF if I had a computer more powerful than a 1.2ghz netbook with me. Technically playable, but it gets too slow too soon. It's also a really cramped keyboard.

That sucks! its just starting to get a bit warmer here (in Virginia Beach)...which I am very glad about...

Well, NOVA just got a ton of snow/rain dumped on it.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3212 on: January 26, 2011, 10:18:54 pm »

Actually at the moment I am getting snowed under on Cape Cod with my grandmother. It'd be a perfect day for DF if I had a computer more powerful than a 1.2ghz netbook with me. Technically playable, but it gets too slow too soon. It's also a really cramped keyboard.

That sucks! its just starting to get a bit warmer here (in Virginia Beach)...which I am very glad about...

Which has delayed my father coming to rescue me, which delays me being able to get a new computer, which delays me being able to play Dwarf Fortress in all its glory.  :'(
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: January 26, 2011, 11:58:11 pm »

Which has delayed my father coming to rescue me, which delays me being able to get a new computer, which delays me being able to play Dwarf Fortress in all its glory.  :'(

Unfortunately, all these snowy days might also delay me from getting my new computer, as it means I get paid less when the check is written in a month.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: January 27, 2011, 03:58:34 am »

Sorry to pile on the "ceramics" questions, but I just rejoined the forums after a three-month absence. 

I was trying to get up to date on the updates, and came across the ceramics post that was put up on the sixteenth, and I was at first a little concerned, but then became very excited.

One of the things that I really love about Dwarf Fortress is that it lets me start getting very technical, and I start learning some things about, say, the difference between mafic and felsic magma.  And one of the conversations I really learned a lot about was when Gazz taught me about pottery in one of the suggestion threads I participated in.

Essentially, the question I want to ask is will the ceramics be like the one in this thread on ceramics?  Will we have just "clay" as a soil type to work with, or can we fire up any kind of soil to make terra cotta, so that it is (rightly) a material everyone with access to most types of dirt can make?  Can we wood glaze pots?  Do we need sand or crushed feldspar to glaze? Are glazes necessary to make a water-tight storage jug? Are we going to be crushing a single metal ore unit to make, say, 50 pots worth of glazes which can then be used to make decorations? I hate to think we have to use an entire metal unit for one pot's decoration.

Honestly, the attention to realism on this one really makes or breaks my hopes and dreams.  If this is actually very similar to what was discussed in the suggestion thread, I will love you forever... foreverer than I already do, at least.

edit: to be more precise
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:04:06 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: January 27, 2011, 09:02:43 am »

Sorry to pile on the "ceramics" questions, but I just rejoined the forums after a three-month absence. 

I was trying to get up to date on the updates, and came across the ceramics post that was put up on the sixteenth, and I was at first a little concerned, but then became very excited.

One of the things that I really love about Dwarf Fortress is that it lets me start getting very technical, and I start learning some things about, say, the difference between mafic and felsic magma.  And one of the conversations I really learned a lot about was when Gazz taught me about pottery in one of the suggestion threads I participated in.

Essentially, the question I want to ask is will the ceramics be like the one in this thread on ceramics?  Will we have just "clay" as a soil type to work with, or can we fire up any kind of soil to make terra cotta, so that it is (rightly) a material everyone with access to dirt can make?  Can we wood glaze pots?  Do we need sand or crushed feldspar to glaze? Are we going to be crushing a single metal ore unit to make, say, 50 pots worth of glazes which can then be used to make decorations? I hate to think we have to use an entire metal unit for one pot's decoration.

Honestly, the attention to realism on this one really makes or breaks my hopes and dreams.  If this is actually very similar to what was discussed in the suggestion thread, I will love you forever... foreverer than I already do, at least.

Hmmm. I'd be surprised if any soil worked for terracotta. IRL, terracotta—as with all clays—needs clay of a certain quality to be viable for use. And there are better terracottas and worse terracottas, depending on where the clay's collected.

Clay itself is made up of certain minerals (phyllosilicates, IIRC). If the soil doesn't have those minerals, then it isn't going to work as clay.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:06 pm »

Spoiler: NW_Kohaku Post (click to show/hide)

Hmmm. I'd be surprised if any soil worked for terracotta. IRL, terracotta—as with all clays—needs clay of a certain quality to be viable for use. And there are better terracottas and worse terracottas, depending on where the clay's collected.

Clay itself is made up of certain minerals (phyllosilicates, IIRC). If the soil doesn't have those minerals, then it isn't going to work as clay.
These finer technical details were already discussed in the linked Clay & Ceramic thread.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: January 28, 2011, 12:30:29 am »

On a completely different note, some of the things I am reading about the backlog of discussions makes me have to ask...

Will there be respect for different "burial customs"?  I, for one, have started to prefer the "Proper Dwarven Funeral" method of flooding a burial chamber with magma, encasing the dwarf in obsidian, then making a statue out of his/her obsidian.  It's just dwarfier that way.  Will this now mean I have to choose between not having personally amusing burial practices and being annoyed by the results of my "desecration of the bodies"?

edit (and edit again): Actually, while I'm on topic...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:43:58 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: January 28, 2011, 12:39:26 am »

Perhaps that could be a matter of ethics. Burial choices by race.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 28, 2011, 02:12:34 am »

I was enjoying the idea of that dwarf ghost starting parties. I'd like more of that kind of thing. Or even more "defenders of the weak" ghosts, that chase off sieges. >:)  I'd've kept him around, too, except I wanted to get at the goblinite, and he was... territorial.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: January 28, 2011, 11:54:58 am »

Will there be respect for different "burial customs"?  I, for one, have started to prefer the "Proper Dwarven Funeral" method of flooding a burial chamber with magma, encasing the dwarf in obsidian, then making a statue out of his/her obsidian.  It's just dwarfier that way.  Will this now mean I have to choose between not having personally amusing burial practices and being annoyed by the results of my "desecration of the bodies"?
You can always carve them a burial slab out of the obsidian.  Perhaps not as dorfy as a statue, but still gets the idea across.
where is up?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 28, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »

I was enjoying the idea of that dwarf ghost starting parties. I'd like more of that kind of thing. Or even more "defenders of the weak" ghosts, that chase off sieges. >:)  I'd've kept him around, too, except I wanted to get at the goblinite, and he was... territorial.

I loved the old "Ghostly Mason has organized party" 'bug'. I was hoping it wouldn't be removed (has it been?)

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: January 28, 2011, 10:22:28 pm »

Here I was gonna make a bad Hotel California joke, only to find that the etymology of California is a matter open to debate. I am at once saddened and enlightened.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: January 28, 2011, 11:25:16 pm »

Mead!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: January 29, 2011, 03:56:55 am »

Mead!
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 342