Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572064 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4095 on: March 21, 2011, 04:58:59 pm »

I will give you my firstborn Toady.  Do you prefer you slave children delivered in bags sacks or cardboard boxes?  Boxes would be best for me (I could just use one of those postal service flat rate boxes.  I think I could cram the kid in there.) but of course your preference determines the final say.

Obviously, children should be delivered in lead bins, preferably with some cinnabar, rutile, and pitchblende toys to keep them busy.  Just don't tell the Elf Protection Agency.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: March 21, 2011, 05:32:50 pm »

Does anyone else remember how angry the forums seemed just a few weeks ago with people jumping up and down for bug fixes? 

Its kind of funny in hindsight, because this stint of bug fixes was, at that time, already scheduled.  Like what, people thought Toady should drop what he was working on at that moment to get bugfixes done a week earlier? 

I for one have faith in the Toad.

They will now complain as why it wasn't fixed earlier. Or complain about bugs not fixed this time.
Or complain about this irritating bug number... Dammit, it is fixed.  :D (The worst one on my personal list is 0001899: Game locks up for 30 min during seasonal temperature shift)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: March 21, 2011, 07:55:59 pm »

That fix is the best thing about the new release.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:22 pm »

Does anyone else remember how angry the forums seemed just a few weeks ago with people jumping up and down for bug fixes? 

Its kind of funny in hindsight, because this stint of bug fixes was, at that time, already scheduled.  Like what, people thought Toady should drop what he was working on at that moment to get bugfixes done a week earlier? 

They will now complain as why it wasn't fixed earlier. Or complain about bugs not fixed this time.
If previous trends hold, they'll complain about how he's spending all this time bugfixing, when he should be adding content.

They may also complain about something they think is a bug but is actually a feature, or, more likely, an insufficiency in existing systems caused by a planned feature not yet being implemented.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »

They will also complain when bugs that they thought were features get fixed.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »

They will also complain when bugs that they thought were features get fixed.

What? no more permaflooding or permawaves?  But they were so much fun!  And why can't we red-line the chasm anymore?

Huh?  Traps kill traders now?  Wow that is an awesome way to remove overreliance on traps...wait that was a bug?  And yer fixing it?  Init option plox?[/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:25:49 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: March 22, 2011, 07:19:14 am »

Not as bad as Diablo II fans. You should have seen the outcry when an exploit that allowed players to get 90 levels in an hour was removed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: March 22, 2011, 11:01:36 am »

If previous trends hold, they'll complain about how he's spending all this time bugfixing, when he should be adding content.
I still see nothing wrong in giant bughunt.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: March 22, 2011, 11:05:34 am »

Link please.  I must have missed where people were doing this.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:25 am »

I believe he was making an amusing prediction that since people were complaining about all the content and no bugfixing, that the reverse will now be true.

I don't think anybody will complain about much needed bug-fixing being done.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: March 22, 2011, 12:04:26 pm »

Yeah, looks like the bugfix criers have hushed up, esp. since long lasting bugs have been quelled. My bets are on the economy being fixed almost completely before release 9.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: March 22, 2011, 01:14:12 pm »

Not on these forums, necessarily. But complaints about lack of content being added pop up whenever we aren't getting content updates rolling out quickly. They're not really prevalent, but bug complaints aren't all that frequent either.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: March 22, 2011, 04:37:43 pm »

so, from the development page, release 6 is en route to have "dwarf mode trading improvements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc."

apart from the obvious caravan arc stuff, with prices and availability and such, does it also involve a better trade agreement interface (pre paid shipment of exact quantities and the like), a better trading screen (filters or sorting or something like that) and most importantly will be there a separation between the handling/working of fortress/civilizations relationships and fortress/fair relationship?

that is, is in the plans having fair out of fortress control (apart quantity/quality influenced by zones and wealth and stuff like that) and detailed trade agreement between civilizations/important sites (and the keyword here is detailed) or something like that

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »

It should be interesting seeing how the caravan stuff pans out when it starts affecting fort mode.  Every bit of it, really.  Right now, in the face of all the other improvements going on, fort trading is kinda dull.  My trading partners are seen more by me as garbage collectors than anything else.  The volume of complete trash that gets left on my map by continual invasions is nothing short of staggering. 

Hopefully the endless goblin waves (and their associated endless clutter waves) will cease as site tracking of items get implemented... or I guess at latest when the army arc things preventing invaders being spawned ex nihilo along with a full suit of armor get in.  At this point I'm pretty sure I've killed about double the number of goblins ever to have lived in my world, but they still keep showing up in armor they couldn't possibly have made. 

I wonder how this is going to work once it gets done. 
where is up?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: March 22, 2011, 09:31:09 pm »

Are there any plans for an in-fortress economy in the near future (I mean as part of the next few updates)? It's not specifically mentioned on the list but seeing as this is the "caravan arc", i though might be hidden under a larger goal.

What I mean - you've scratched the old economy so any plans to replace it? Some kind of in-fortress supply/demand system? Buying/selling? A notion of collective/personal ownership? I suppose the answer is no because it sounds like a great deal of work... but then there are the fortress inns that would suggest some kind of fortress-mode economy.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 342