Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569297 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4965 on: May 06, 2011, 10:00:55 am »

in the long run we'll probably see some sort of safe burial to be done, by today or modders.

like a crematory workshop, making hashes that then are to be put into a coffin. zombie ashes are way less troublesome.

but, well, magma plus a better slab interface will do right now.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: May 06, 2011, 10:09:58 am »

hehe curses could be so much fun!
They could maybe even be mostly benign during life, giving only small clues in the behaviour of a carrier, for instance pyromania.
When hammered to death for setting fire to the legendary dininghall, the corpse combusts spontaneoulsy, the flesh crisping and peeling back like a husk, exposing a tiny infant spirit of fire. All bystanders -that were previously ignoring the beating- look up annoyed as the bright creature gives a high pitched squeel, then scampers off leaving a trail of smoldering detritus down the tunnel floor.

mmmm. zombie hash...:P
I've heard of ash ghouls, iirc they could be annoying.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:11:56 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: May 06, 2011, 10:12:46 am »

in the long run we'll probably see some sort of safe burial to be done, by today or modders.

like a crematory workshop, making hashes that then are to be put into a coffin. zombie ashes are way less troublesome.

You seem to forget about ghosts. The main reason toady is making undeath more prevalent now is so that you don't have to be completely negligent to encounter it. Challenges seem less fulfilling if you have to go out of your way for them.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: May 06, 2011, 11:10:49 am »

I'm loving the daily updates on the devlog.

About the undead and ghosts, I think that in certain areas (like terrifying biomes and such) they should be unavoidable. In other areas, certain conditions should be met before the dead rise: unburied corpses, disturbed tombs and murders come to mind.

To those concerned about the evil Toady wrestling control of the players, maybe an init option would solve their problems.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4969 on: May 06, 2011, 11:52:37 am »

Actually, Ash Zombies ("Popeláci") are incredibly dangerous undead in myths over here.

Think lite version of Ignus from Planescape Torment.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #4970 on: May 06, 2011, 01:02:17 pm »

I'd definitely like to see different types of dead dependent on how they died.  Like starvation leading to unending hunger that must be satiated, even by HUMAN FLEEEESH.  And you know other stuff.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: May 06, 2011, 01:39:36 pm »

I'd definitely like to see different types of dead dependent on how they died.  Like starvation leading to unending hunger that must be satiated, even by HUMAN FLEEEESH.  And you know other stuff.

So a zombie elf is just a regular elf, then?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: May 06, 2011, 02:43:30 pm »

A slow, stupid, very aggressive elf with hygiene issues.

Also, I wonder if zombie and skeleton curses are going to be in the raws.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:45:19 pm by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4973 on: May 06, 2011, 02:54:51 pm »

A slow, stupid, very aggressive elf with hygiene issues.

Also, I wonder if zombie and skeleton curses are going to be in the raws.

Oh, so it's a slow elf.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: May 06, 2011, 03:06:14 pm »

vegetarian elf?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: May 06, 2011, 03:19:37 pm »

You seem to forget about ghosts. The main reason toady is making undeath more prevalent now is so that you don't have to be completely negligent to encounter it. Challenges seem less fulfilling if you have to go out of your way for them.

no, that's the point of slabs.

unless you talk of wandering ghosts, then those are a problem indeed, but for fortress/civ population a burial would prevent ghost and incineration would prevent zombie.
so right now magma+slab is a safe burial mechanism.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: May 06, 2011, 06:26:25 pm »

*shudder* stuff like the old "Spirits of fire" would be interesting.

I am totally going to try my best to make a curse that makes them.  All you post materiel rewrite folks think Unicorns are bad?  Pfft, try a huge creature that perpetually burned at exactly 1 urist below the melting point of ADAMANTINE.  Forget magma safe.  Those suckers could probably ignite the atmosphere.

Of course, under the current system they would die to one bolt...I would probably have to make them out of superheated adamantine or somesuch.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: May 06, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »

I'm hoping the curses will work like creature_variations tags, so that we can mod the game to redefine 'evil' areas as 'areas where the dead come back as part-unicorns and fluffy wambler halfbreeds'.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: May 06, 2011, 06:48:16 pm »

Can we more often expect daily updates, now? It's nice to read a paragraph about the assorted hijinks Mr. Adams gets into in the course of his craft.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: May 06, 2011, 07:04:12 pm »

Can we more often expect daily updates, now? It's nice to read a paragraph about the assorted hijinks Mr. Adams gets into in the course of his craft.
He updates when he thinks there's something worth sharing; I doubt he can predict that much more accurately than we can.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 342