Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 310984 times)

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25] Fortress Defense Mod II v9: Tin-Bearing Blendecs!
« Reply #555 on: November 03, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

CAN_SPEAK is the tag you're looking for.

Unfortunately, due to Dwarf Fortress's procedural nature, that tag also controls whether or not they are automatically hostile. Adding it to enemy races makes them friendly. The only way to force them to attack the player is to take away their speech - the means of communication that forms the basis of inter-species peace.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure what tag determined naming.  I figured I can make them automatically hostile even when they have [CAN_SPEAK] by giving either them or the dwarves the [BABYSNATCHER] tag.  I tried the latter setup, gave the tag to humans and elves, too, and removed it from the other civs.  Of course, there are going to be some other interesting effects (for example, something kept stealing my livestock in my test fort).  However, all of the civs are still hostile, and the invaders are named. 

(As a side note - I gave the dwarves the tag because I wasn't sure how soon I'd start getting snatchers from the other races if I gave it to them.  Would they start arriving at the same time as the sieges, or would they behave more like goblins, showing up in about the second year?)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 04, 2011, 03:17:50 am »

CAN_SPEAK is the tag you're looking for.

Unfortunately, due to Dwarf Fortress's procedural nature, that tag also controls whether or not they are automatically hostile. Adding it to enemy races makes them friendly. The only way to force them to attack the player is to take away their speech - the means of communication that forms the basis of inter-species peace.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure what tag determined naming.  I figured I can make them automatically hostile even when they have [CAN_SPEAK] by giving either them or the dwarves the [BABYSNATCHER] tag.  I tried the latter setup, gave the tag to humans and elves, too, and removed it from the other civs.  Of course, there are going to be some other interesting effects (for example, something kept stealing my livestock in my test fort).  However, all of the civs are still hostile, and the invaders are named. 

(As a side note - I gave the dwarves the tag because I wasn't sure how soon I'd start getting snatchers from the other races if I gave it to them.  Would they start arriving at the same time as the sieges, or would they behave more like goblins, showing up in about the second year?)

Races have two progess triggers, one unspecified and one with _SIEGE after it. I assume the first tag would determine baby-snatcher arrival, but I cannot confirm it without empirical tests.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:25 pm »

On an unrelated note, tried this with my Final Fantasy mod. Hehe....there was !!FUN!! to be had when one of my megas met a sieging army of nightwings.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 07, 2011, 01:40:26 pm »

Nightwings toppled my entire windmill farm from distance of 40 tiles. Is it expected effect?
It was invisible thief.

PS Windmill farm powered magma pumpstack designed to kill Nightwings.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:50:43 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Tapeworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 07, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »

If I remember correctly, there's a way to have named creatures without using BABYSNATCHER or ITEM_THIEF. Simply add CAN_SPEAK after world generation, and any new creatures will spawn with names. You could also give them the [UTTERANCES] tag, which has the same effect.

EDIT: Only do this after you found your fortress, or otherwise they'll start off firendly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:24:12 am by Tapeworm »

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 11, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »

Nightwings toppled my entire windmill farm from distance of 40 tiles. Is it expected effect?
It was invisible thief.

High-class sabotage right there.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 13, 2011, 11:16:09 am »

It was invisible thief.

High-class sabotage right there.
And Nightwings are magmaproof.  ???
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 14, 2011, 10:31:23 am »

I added [CAN_SPEAK] (after worldgen):

EDIT: Caravan was empty, so I (o)ffered coffins.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:45:31 am by Kogut »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 14, 2011, 07:27:06 pm »

Just embarked in a taiga and I see a bunch of great fiend spider silk webs lying around. Should I be... worried?

EDIT: Also, how do you guys set up FD? With all the species generally, or by picking a few? I've got all the bonus/challenge/basic enemies in game and Dwarven civs don't always survive even in a short worldgen of 99 years.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:39:38 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 15, 2011, 01:06:19 am »

I play with everything. As result I triggered worldgen crash caused by FB extinction :)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 15, 2011, 02:13:27 am »

I play with everything. As result I triggered worldgen crash caused by FB extinction :)

I found quote, apparently it was not limited to FB:

from bugreport #4358
Quote from: Toady One
It (worldgen) didn't like that all the trouble-causing monsters of every kind in the world were dead. Apparently the civs were very thorough.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 15, 2011, 01:31:40 pm »

Just embarked in a taiga and I see a bunch of great fiend spider silk webs lying around. Should I be... worried?

EDIT: Also, how do you guys set up FD? With all the species generally, or by picking a few? I've got all the bonus/challenge/basic enemies in game and Dwarven civs don't always survive even in a short worldgen of 99 years.

I found quote, apparently it was not limited to FB:

from bugreport #4358
Quote from: Toady One
It (worldgen) didn't like that all the trouble-causing monsters of every kind in the world were dead. Apparently the civs were very thorough.

I personally don't let worldgen go beyond 40-50 years, even without Bonus  civs. Personally, I find the added gameplay additions worth the loss of the lore; besides, all worldgen does is kill off the interesting people and creatures before you, the player, get to exterminate them  :P

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 19, 2011, 11:36:37 am »

I discovered that it is possible to generate word with hostile, named enemies.

1) remove [ITEM_THIEF] from entities (goblins, kobolds)
2) add [ITEM_THIEF] to your entity (dwarfs) and peaceful (humans, elves)
3) add [CAN_SPEAK] to DF creatures

As bonus: kobolds are hyperactive (10 ambushes, 3 killed soldiers, starting tantrum spiral) - what may or may not be related to removal of  [ITEM_THIEF] from their entity.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 19, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »

As bonus: kobolds are hyperactive (10 ambushes, 3 killed soldiers, starting tantrum spiral) - what may or may not be related to removal of  [ITEM_THIEF] from their entity.

This is likely related to the low default progress trigger set for kobolds. In normal games, the ITEM_THIEF tag prevents the kobolds from being too aggressive unless they steal tons of loot. Without that limitation, they are free to wreak havoc from the get go.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 19, 2011, 06:04:07 pm »

This is likely related to the low default progress trigger set for kobolds. In normal games, the ITEM_THIEF tag prevents the kobolds from being too aggressive unless they steal tons of loot. Without that limitation, they are free to wreak havoc from the get go.

I think that's the [SKULKING] tag...
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 80