Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1501258 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #5790 on: May 28, 2014, 01:54:37 am »

Hell, I try not to mistreat my dwarves and be nice, but even that amused me. It's called Crossing the Line Twice I suppose.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: May 28, 2014, 04:00:52 am »

Dear Urist McMason-McBully,

I will give you one more warning, it is not "fun" to wall in your grudges. They may be your grudges, but that is no excuse for your behavior. If you do not stop, we will take !!DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS!! to remedy this problem.

Signed, your overoverlord,
Me
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: May 28, 2014, 02:52:21 pm »

Dear Ralur McStupid:

I designated that GCS to guard the cage traps leading to the first caverns. This was because I left the gate open to let in a forgotten beast. You moved the GCS back to where it was before, letting the FB in unhindered. Furthermore, this beast's secretions cause full-body swelling and eventually necrosis. As you know, we have almost no military due to the goblins being extinct. Your blunder resulted in the deaths of 7 imps, as well as our only tame GCS. One of those was the best military imp in the fort. Your actions are made more severe by the fact that only 23 imps have died in the 11 years of this fort. I look forward to punishing you somehow.

Sincerely, Your Benevolent Overseer.

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: May 31, 2014, 12:52:05 am »

Dear Urist McWeaver,

I understand the difficulties you have had collecting webs, and I do sympathize. Clearly, there is some web in some far off, unreachable corner, that you have totally fallen in love with, and simply cannot continue until you collect it. Yet, despite all your best efforts, you have been unable to get to it, and I understand how horrible that can be. However, you do realize, that you are right next to a gigantic cavern system with hundreds of different webs in it, many of which can be easily walked to and picked up, right? There are plenty of other turtles in the pond, as they say. I understand that this web has broken your heart, but it's time to move on. Please, for the sake of all of us, FIND ANOTHER WEB TO COLLECT!

R/OS

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: May 31, 2014, 03:04:10 am »

Memo for general distribution,

Please clean the corpses out of the hospital. It is very damaging for a patient's morale to be brought to the hospital and immediately greeted by the miasma of his fellow dwarves. Also, despite the best efforts of our surgeons, the vampire queen has (ironically) bleed to death. Perhaps if they had bothered to stitch her back up after performing surgery on her, this could have been avoided, but too late to look back on it now. However, since the hospital also contains the well, and contaminating the fortress water supply with vampire blood would not bode well for our fortress's future, please be careful when cleaning up near the well, and for the love of Armok, DO NOT RINSE YOUR WASHWATER INTO THE WELL.

R/OS
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:21:35 am by TV4Fun »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: May 31, 2014, 08:29:33 am »

Dear Urist McHauler, Urist McHauler jr., Urist McHauler sr., etc., etc.,

When the hunters come back from a long day of hunting and have a whole fucking pack of yak corpses in their hands, PUT THEM IN THE BARRELS AFTER BUTCHERING THEM!

Signed,

Me

(PS: This really happened. Half of my dining room and half my kitchen area was being gas-bombed with miasma by the intestines of 3 yaks. I can post pictures.)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: May 31, 2014, 08:49:55 am »

Dear Urist McMayor,

For the last time, you are not the overseer. That is my job. Do not unpause the game while Im on the toilet.

Signed, your overseer whose bladder is about to explode,

Me
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:47:52 am by latias1290 »

blazing glory

« Reply #5797 on: May 31, 2014, 02:28:50 pm »

Dear Urist McMayor,

For the last time, you are not the overseer. That is my job. Do not unpause the game while Im on the toilet.

Me

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the game to unpause itself...

Does the overseer have any brothers?

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: May 31, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »

Dear Urist McSurgeon,

I understand how very important our farming operations are, and I too feel the sense of dread we must all feel at the thought of any of our animals straying even slightly out of its pasture. However, we do have people to deal with that. You may notice them by having the farming and/or animal hauling labors enabled, while the only labors you have enabled are surgery and feeding patients. In other words, caring to our wounded is your one and only job. Speaking of which, you may have noticed that our hospital is currently jammed full of wounded who are dying of infection and bleeding to death faster than we can haul their corpses out of their, causing a rapid spread of miasma, which I doubt is helping the infection problem very much. I know how much you love moving animals back into their pastures, but I am afraid you have other priorities right now. Please get inside and help our wounded while we still have a fortress left to defend. Thank you

R/OS

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: May 31, 2014, 07:35:23 pm »

A note to the Pegasus building crew of SweetenedAngel;

You.
Idiots.
Starved.
To death.
On a wall.
This wall, which was exactly one Z level high.
You had WINGS.
For this GRAND ACHIEVEMENT IN STUPIDITY, you have been posthumously awarded 3 medals:
The medal of immoderate moronocity.
The medal of grand stupidity.
And finally, the highest (dis)honour of them all,
The MEDAL OF ULTIMATE IDIOCY.

-Your furious, houseless overseer.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: June 01, 2014, 03:59:26 am »

Dear Urist McMayor,

Me
I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the game to unpause itself...

Does the overseer have any brothers?
No brothers, but a sister. I like to blame the nobles when my sister unpauses the game :P

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: June 01, 2014, 09:22:42 am »

A note to the Pegasus building crew of SweetenedAngel;

You.
Idiots.
Starved.
To death.
On a wall.
This wall, which was exactly one Z level high.
You had WINGS.
For this GRAND ACHIEVEMENT IN STUPIDITY, you have been posthumously awarded 3 medals:
The medal of immoderate moronocity.
The medal of grand stupidity.
And finally, the highest (dis)honour of them all,
The MEDAL OF ULTIMATE IDIOCY.

-Your furious, houseless overseer.
You forgot the Darwin Award.

They should've earned like twenty of those.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: June 01, 2014, 03:58:51 pm »

Dear Urist McCaravanTrader,

Thank you for killing my fortress. My broker was indisposed, and you just couldn't accept a ridiculously fair offer from anyone else, so you accused me of playing childish games and I decided it was a good time to drown you in the depot. But you just couldn't accept that, could you? You couldn't just drown like good merchants, no, you had to find a way out and spend the next 4 years hanging out in my moat because apparently the very obvious door to the outside wasn't a clear indication that you were not wanted. Even when I managed to fill the moat up to level 7, you still found a way to not drown. I don't know what black magic you have worked that allows you to survive in deep water without drowning, but I can assure you the queen of this land will hear of it, or at least she would've heard of it if I had not had her killed.

Anyway, because you could not take a hint and just leave, and because I did not feel like starting a civil war in my fortress by sending my militia in there to kill you, no other caravans came from our home civilization. Apparently the total lack of news from any of your caravan combined with the fact that a few of you just could not take the hint and walk out convinced those from the outer lands that you must still be here, trading with us, and so they had no need to send anyone else. And because no further caravans came to our once great mountainhome, no word of our great deeds or ridiculously massive wealth was passed on to the dwarves of our outermost reaches, and so immigration slowed to a trickle before stopping altogether.

Word of our wealth did however reach the goblins and the kobolds though, who launched numerous raids against us. We dealt with these handily, but because my most experienced soldiers were more concerned with picking up equipment than fighting off the enemies, and because my reserve marksdwarves mainly joined for the money for college and didn't understand that you needed bolts in order to be able to use a crossbow, and were also unable to grasp the concept that sometimes bins can contain ammunition, we lost a few men in the defense. Then 2 or 3 forgotten beasts emerged in the middle of a kobold ambush and my more experienced fighters were stretched a little thin. We managed to defeat them, well, all except for the big spider who coated most of my fortress in webs and killed off almost all of my militia including virtually every one of my legendary fighters, but we were eventually able to lure him into the crypts and seal him off behind a wall, so that'll be a nice surprise for whoever comes to reclaim our fortress.

We were bruised but not beaten. We had repelled the invaders, but had lost about half our population, including many of our legendary, skilled crafters, but we could recover from this, assuming we could get some migrants in to replace them, but oh wait, that's right, there weren't any. That's okay, I'm sure we could still find a solution, but it was around this point I noticed that the population of our fortress seemed a little smaller every time I looked. Besides the many dwarves who had been wounded and were now succombing to infection because the hospital was filled with miasma from all the rotting corpses and the few surviving doctors seemed more concerned with moving animals back to their pastures than actually treating anyone, it seemed a few of my more disgruntled deceased were unhappy about the manner of their deaths and the fact that we didn't have enough coffins to bury them all, and decided to rise up and start murdering the remaining populace, leaving many contorted in fear, oddly inside the hospital.

Well, after the last of my patients had died, I saw no problem sealing off the hospital and hoping the ghosts remained there. I tried to engrave memorial slabs for these poor, murderous souls, but it seems that one of their victims had been my legendary engraver. That was okay though, as I could hire a few newb engravers to make a quick memorial slab, but they were rather occupied with the whole corpse hauling and trying to stay alive thing and it took a little while. My population had dwindled to around 20 when we were attacked by troglodytes and voracious cave crawlers from below. My attention had momentarily wavered and was brought back to it by the arrival of a firespitting forgotten beast monitor, who dispatched the wild animals who were overrunning my lower levels and then went to engage the monitor in single combat, as the remainder of the militia, all recruits, were too busy trying to find where they had left their bootlaces to be of any assistance.

The match between the legendary Axe Lord who commanded my militia and the forgotten beast was a draw. The commander attacked the beast with many fierce swings of his axe, and the beast responded by spitting fire at the commander, encasing both in a thick cloud of smoke. An intense battle developed, and when the dust cleared, both were dead. The commander was my last dwarf with any military experience and I was now left with a bunch of recruits to deal with the growing army of troglodytes that were gathering at the base of my fortress. There are some very thick doors leading to the entrance of my fortress proper, but because dwarves can never be bothered to clean up after themselves, and one had left a cage containing a troglodyte caught by one of our traps inside the doorway, the troglodytes had little trouble getting into my fortress, killing most of my ducks and chickens, and generally annoying the population that remained, and my recruits are still trying to track down their boot bands.

So now, my population is down to 6, I have a fortress rapidly filling with wild animals, and to top it all off, now I have an elven caravan to deal with, and I have decided with great reluctance that it is time to abandon the once mighty mountainhome of Pricedwheels. Hopefully the few remaining dwarves can find their way out and still go on to other things. All of this because you guys could not figure out where the exit was despite the many engraved invitations that I had sent you and my multiple attempts to drown you. Please in the future try to be polite and die when I ask nicely. And let this be a lesson to all other upstart overseers of fortresses in realms all over the world, when designing a trap to drown ornery merchants, always be sure you put a grate, and not a fortification, on the lower level so that they cannot swim out through the water inlet. If they survive, they will linger like a piece of meat that gets stuck between your teeth and eventually grows rotten and infected before finally coming loose only to get into your blood and infect your heart, resulting, in a slow painful death from sepsis.

Best Regards to All,
Your former overseer
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:13:54 pm by TV4Fun »

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: June 02, 2014, 03:29:44 am »

Dear Bob TheVampire,

Well, it's happened. I have been driven from my mountain home and forced to take up adventuring. The people of your village tell me that you're a vampire and would very much like it if I could help kill you. Of course you deny it, but when you mention the one daughter you had who died of old age 20 years ago, it does raise my suspicions. The older brother you had who was struck down in the forest 300 years ago also sounds rather odd. I admit to not knowing a lot about humans, but I didn't think that you normally lived that long. For trying to maintain the cover of just being an ordinary human villager, you're sure bad at it. One thing I will say is that even totally ordinary vampires are decent in combat, so I'll make an offer for you, would you like to join my party so I can bring you to an honorable death somewhere?

Your pal,
Urist McAdventurer

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: June 03, 2014, 10:10:10 am »

Dear Marksdwarf squads,

If it's not too much trouble, could you please shoot your bolts at the damned goblins sitting outside the fortress?

Yours truly,
The Overseer.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 504