Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56723 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #420 on: April 15, 2011, 06:42:58 pm »

I've got no idea these days about where a creative topic would get more attention - here or in its own thread. Whichever way, I suggest you brainstorm your idea carefully first. I recall that you don't exactly have a reputation about finishing these things. Although I might be wrong. Also, what's Mitril Hall? I mean I suppose it's Mithril Hall, but that still doesn't ring any bells. That should refer to something well-known, right?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 15, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »

I've got no idea these days about where a creative topic would get more attention - here or in its own thread. Whichever way, I suggest you brainstorm your idea carefully first. I recall that you don't exactly have a reputation about finishing these things. Although I might be wrong. Also, what's Mitril Hall? I mean I suppose it's Mithril Hall, but that still doesn't ring any bells. That should refer to something well-known, right?

Moria? Khazad-Dum?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 15, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »

How about Drizzt Do'Urden? Bruenor Battlehammer? The Forgotten Realms?

And yeah I have problems finishing series. I've tried brainstorming and it didn't really help much. It's less of not having an idea than just not enough motivation.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 15, 2011, 10:49:13 pm »

How about Drizzt Do'Urden? Bruenor Battlehammer? The Forgotten Realms?

And yeah I have problems finishing series. I've tried brainstorming and it didn't really help much. It's less of not having an idea than just not enough motivation.

I have the same problem. Also I have a poor imagination, also I am a plagiarist. With the exception of my posted story, that is.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #424 on: April 16, 2011, 12:42:08 am »

Once upon a time I thought I was badly uncreative, too, and then I developed my super-secret Build a World with Logic Alone method, which I'm going to share with you tonight for the low, low price of nothing at all!

"But my story is set in the real world!" I hear you say. It isn't, actually, unless you're writing non-fiction, but that's kind of a needless quibble. You'll see why later.

"But I want a story, not a world!" I hear you say. Part of the secret is that your world is your story. This is a strong statement, but as far as I can tell it's the truth. Your world determines what kinds of stories you can tell and what the details are. The shape of your stories follow the shape of your world, and by telling stories you wreak change upon your world which in turn begets new stories.

So here we are: the method itself. First, pick an event in your world. It's probably best if it either follows from your story, precedes it, or doesn't affect it too much. Ask yourself questions about that event: what happened? Who did it happen to? Why were they involved? Why did the whole thing happen to begin with? What are the consequences? What were the circumstances leading up to it?

I'll give an example. The whole of the setting of Many Words' currently running story was derived from the words, "The Threshold Rebellion". Obviously, it involves Threshold and some other party. I decided to call the other party the Confederacy. "So why were they at odds?" I asked myself. It developed that the Confederacy was a government of a handful of star systems, and Threshold was unhappy with increasing centralization. So why did it only happen now, when we have eleven star systems with colonies of approximately equal development a good long way into their lifetimes? Obviously the systems would have had to be colonized at around the same time, a long time ago, and none of them can be Earth. Why didn't the centralization bit happen earlier? Because they didn't have an FTL drive until recently.

And so on. I could repeat the process for pretty much any of the other worlds I've come up with, but it boils down to this: come up with one idea, and figure out why that idea makes sense. It does (as I said) even work for stories in just-like-today worlds. Stories shape your world after the world ends, so ask yourself what the world would look like once your story has run its course. If that doesn't make sense (murder mysteries seem like they fit here), ask yourself what happens if your protagonists fail. Pick some event from the post-story world, and the very process of making that make sense is basically the same thing as outlining your story. The only difference is you have a point of reference to work against.

There is one final point: it's difficult to do this alone. Find a friend and have them play devil's advocate. It works out a lot better in the end.

Hopefully I've been helpful here as opposed to unintelligible.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 16, 2011, 12:44:51 am »

My problem with writing is that my 'attention span' when it comes to writing is pretty damn short.

I can't seem to become dedicated to projects I do on my own time (it's not for school or w/e) for more than a few weeks.

Does anyone have any tips? I really, really want to finish something. :/
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #426 on: April 16, 2011, 12:53:24 am »

I think attention span is something that builds with practice. It's like, let's say you start an exercise routine. At first you're not going to be able to keep at it for very long but over time you're stamina will increase. In my experience it's the same way with writing. So I'd suggest you just indulge yourself in shorter works and slowly build up. Also, when I drop a project it's usually because I've lost interest in it and the best way to keep interested that I've found is to constantly inject fresh ideas into the work. Don't force yourself to keep at what you originally planned if that's not what you're feeling anymore.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 16, 2011, 12:55:23 am »

Wow, never thought of it that way, >_>

Thanks, fqllve!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #428 on: April 16, 2011, 01:04:22 am »

My pleasure. There can never be enough writers in this world.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 16, 2011, 07:56:16 am »

I've come up with one idea that might be considered quite radical here. Sorry if it offends you.

The fact that you can't keep your attention on your writing project probably stems from the fact that they are based around fleeting interests. You lose interest because the stuff is no longer important to you. That's quite natural. I suspect that your main interest is writing itself (maybe you think it's cool, or something). Well, I don't know, I guess you should write about writing. Otherwise you might consider looking into yourself and finding what topic is really important to you and write about it. That is, not around it - "I like fantasy so I'm going to write fantasy." That's a genre. Think what you want to write about. Getting to the favorite topic of Tolkien - yes, his writing was the background for his linguistics. But actually, the Lord Of the Rings carries a topic very important to Tolkien - contrast of mechanization/modernization and tradition/union with nature.

There's a ton of shitty writers who write because they think it's cool and a nice way to make money. We don't need more of them.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 16, 2011, 09:20:22 am »

There's a ton of shitty writers who write because they think it's cool and a nice way to make money. We don't need more of them.

Mikhail, at this point you're being actively harmful to beginning writers. Every writer I know has had to start out small, and work their way to bigger things. I started out small, and slowly as I continued practicing I am finally to the point where a first chapter from me can be 10,000 words longs. I used to consider 200 words big! Most people here aren't experienced writers, but this thread is called "Writer's Guild." A guild is for the protection of people in a profession. I don't know how you think this is going to be helpful for the creative portion of the forums, besides turning them off from writing, or making them actively angry enough at you to try to prove you wrong.

I sincerely hope it's more the latter because honestly, "write what you think is cool" is my creed, and hasn't failed me yet.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #431 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:15 am »

[...] "write what you think is cool" [...]

For quite a while now I've been telling people that "write what you know" is a bad way to go about it. I think I'll use your creed as a replacement.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #432 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:47 am »

Nope. First, writing is a terrible way to make money. Anyone who thinks they're going to make money writing is gonna have that idea dispelled quickly when the first stories they "sell" net them only a few copies of the magazine they're in. And that's only if they're lucky enough to get accepted into a print journal and not an online one. Second, humans are natural storytellers. We enjoy stories and naturally we want to participate in the other end of the activity that we enjoy. Frankly, I don't care if I like what they produce as long as they like what they produce. If they like it someone else might, if it's something I wouldn't like then it's something I wouldn't write and there's no competition between us. Honestly, I have to wonder if you even enjoy writing. For me, it's an obvious thing to encourage others to do something that I love so much, especially when they have the desire to.

Basically, we need more shitty writers. Lot's more. I love them and want to give them all hugs.

honestly, "write what you think is cool" is my creed, and hasn't failed me yet.
This. Seriously it cannot be said enough. If you write what you like then you cannot fail.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 16, 2011, 10:57:34 am »

I guess my point's been voted wrong by the majority. Maybe it's time to resume actual writing, instead of talking about it... Yeah, it occurred to me recently that I might not enjoy my own writing. My life is far from ideal, and I would probably enjoy weaving a fantasy and living in it, but I guess I've got a brain of a masochist, because all it produces is images of destruction and suffering, broken hopes and hearts. And my conscience which goes along with my world-view, above partially explained, wouldn't allow me to go for happy elfs, even if I could.

By the way (about other sad things), it turns out ScriptFrenzy is half through. If anybody here participated I guess you would have said so already.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #434 on: April 16, 2011, 11:06:18 am »

Well, enjoyment doesn't have to be happy. I've never written a happy story. The enjoyment I get out of writing is creating something beautifully melancholy. From forcing myself to look at the world in a different way, to see everything with clarity and memory, from finding the poetry in the description of the most mundane, and from just telling an enjoyable story that left me curious. You just gotta find the things you enjoy, regardless of the emotions that drive them.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38