Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56722 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #465 on: May 16, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »

Welp, on the topic of writing prompts. I thought I'd be up like a lark, then suddenly I feel like I couldn't describe something even if it was the most colorful thing right in front of me. Anybody got any motivational advice to spare? (Like "we won't laugh even if it sucks balls")

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #466 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:56 pm »

We won't laugh. We'll certainly *tell* you if it sucks balls, but we'll also try to tell you why. :P

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 16, 2011, 02:47:31 pm »

But what if you are subjective, used to a different style, aren't in the right mood? And what if you say it's good?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #468 on: May 16, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »

That's why there are more people here than just me, and why you are able to identify criticism you can use to make yourself better.

The second part my presumption, anyway; one of the most important qualities of an artist of any sort is the ability to tease useful criticism out of the seething morass of everyone who doesn't like your work. :P

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 16, 2011, 04:00:35 pm »

Best advice I can give?

Just write, for Christ's sake.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12:21 pm »

I put 2 hours into this, turns out. You probably shouldn't critique this. Why can't I write something reasonable?

From the escheresque depths of intertwined wiry squares, golden circles, sharp angles, clockworks and spires, an echelon of shining eyes rushed at him. The tap-tapping of their feet sent him into tired trance, as their sharp tongues pinned him to the metal frame of his bed.

He was in Mandelbox. He was Mandelbox. His arms circled around him in an endless clockwork spiral, intersected by his square-cross-section-prism legs. His bronze ribs sprayed out into the void away from his barbwire spine twisted into triangular fly-trap knots. His twin-black-hole eyes lusted for the rich womb of the black cosmos around him, but his reinforced steel heart oscillated in a screeching cacophony of dying metal.

He sloped his concrete guts into the road for an army of robot drummers marching to the walls of elder gods and dilapidated pyramids. But as the trenches submerged into infrasound, he put a drill to his temple and took over the altar of his mind in a single calculated strike.

Even though on some level I like it. :-[

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:16 pm »

I cannot tell what is going on there, but it sounds significant and cool.

Good job.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2011, 11:29:50 pm »

escheresque

Very. Nor am I convinced this is necessarily a good thing. It's mostly confusing.

square-cross-section-prism legs

This detail struck me as very oddly stated. I don't really have any ideas for a way to change it, beyond just leaving it out.

I'm not sure how to express my overall impression, beyond maybe to say that it seems as if you're trying too hard to work in the ten-dollar words. There's a time and place for that, but I'm not sure that description all by itself is it.

In favor of this snippet, though, it does have a soul to it that the last thing you linked (with the guy and the government agents and such) did not. Even if I can't really puzzle out exactly what's going on, I can get a sense for the world.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 17, 2011, 03:59:07 am »

In favor of this snippet, though, it does have a soul to it that the last thing you linked (with the guy and the government agents and such) did not. Even if I can't really puzzle out exactly what's going on, I can get a sense for the world.

Oh. You *. Why couldn't you just say so while I was writing it? I'm majorly cross with you, mister. I'm going to blame my lack of confidence on you, alright? I'm here, all sweating over my English non-nativeness, while the problem is with the lack of emotionally tinted and sexually themed descriptions.

Although, on the other hand I do seem to have a problem with descriptions. Usually, there's either too much of them, or hardly any. I'm not so sure that writing descriptions only is a good solution.

Good job.
Feel free to join in! While the sounds might be significant, people here are quite casual. How's your 20 minutes doing today? ;)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 17, 2011, 01:36:47 pm »

Good job.
Feel free to join in! While the sounds might be significant, people here are quite casual. How's your 20 minutes doing today? ;)

I think I'm doing fairly well. I have a little over 2 pages already, and there's still a bit left to go for my short story. It might round out at maybe 4 - 4 1/2 pages when it's done. I might post what I have so far, but I don't want to jump the gun.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2011, 06:22:48 am »

It's your call, but I say post it when it's done. So you don't mix writing and editing based on our comments.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 23, 2011, 06:35:15 am »

Hey, how is everybody doing?

I recently signed up for NaNoWriMo, and the experience has been pretty great. I've learned about writing blindfolded. I've written a passage this way, and then got stuck.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I'm not sure it's a good writing style in general. Anybody up for a little feedback? I promise to respond constructively. :-\

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #477 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:36 am »

Actually, I liked it a lot. Two categories of critique, though:

First, usage.
1. The word you're looking for is 'fazed'.
2. Some stairs vs. a stairway/staircase.
3. The stooped posture of a fugutive.
4. Having avoided his eyes until now (or perhaps having escaped his notice until now).

Some others, probably, but I'm low on time this morning.

Second, generally:
Your description occasionally is a bit clumsy: around "the rectangular corner of the entrance" jumped out at me as a little bit strange.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:34 am »

Phew. Then there might be sense to it. I can't judge my own writing (and a lot of other things) at all - it just turns into a pile of words without any imaginative significance. That is, except dialog because I at least can try to read it aloud in character. Although even there I judge poorly as my 300 word fiasco has shown.

1. The word you're looking for is 'fazed'.
Is it... Eh, I don't know... Maybe it would have been better with just "blinded".

Clumsiness goes out in editing. I wish only to push over the visual limits right now. You might have noticed the excessive use of "man". That's what visuals do. Doesn't help that the character's name has no significance for the story. I wonder if I should try graphic novel finally.

Did you really like it a lot? :-\

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:34 pm »

For a moment, I was sure that that was a Nethack fiction.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38