Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 899831 times)

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Still Alive (somehow) (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #2220 on: October 08, 2011, 11:16:01 am »

I still say the STFO is so much of a deathtrap that it's less dwarfy than it is extremely dwarfy...

.....Do not get.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: October 08, 2011, 04:04:35 pm »

Ah, sorry for not responding sooner. Thanks for the dorfing despite my non-being here...ness. Kirby's a fine name. Back the first time I asked to be dwarfed, I suggested the custom profession of Infinite Vacuum, but it sounds silly to me now, so whatever.

Good to see I survived turning the STFO off. :P Would've been a shame to die so soon after migrating to FailCannon, though not unexpected.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: October 08, 2011, 07:33:55 pm »

It's late fall and the dwarven traders are sitting in the depot right now. Took forever to get someone to trade, even with a constant 4-5 idlers, all sitting right on the depot, and the depot set to allow anyone to trade. Gizogin has been ousted from the position of broker for high crimes of laziness and attempting to escape the line of duty per all the usual methods (eating, drinking, sleeping, storing owned items, idling for a full week and finally going on break, which persists to this day.) Kirby finally dwarf'd up and began trading after another two weeks standing on the depot with no job. Long live die peacefully keep up the good work, Kirby!

So, once these guys leave, they will be taking with them 9-10k trash and leaving behind some military gear, metal bars, blocks, and booze. I understand we're in no shortage of anything, besides the wood they didn't bring us, but I don't exactly feel compelled to give them a 1000% profit margin either. I'm offering any native goods to them, though. Hopefully this will all attract plenty of victims idiots booze-drinking haulers migrants.

A full update will be coming along later tonight.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:07:57 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: October 08, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »

How the hell is this fort still standing?

Not even Boatmurdered [i think] could last this long without a catastrophic battle between the fort and a flaming dwarf!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: October 08, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »

Failcannon's curse is one of conditional mortality, with the desired outcome contingent on our service.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: October 08, 2011, 09:49:28 pm »

I... still don't understand exactly what the STFO is or does.  I guess I'll just have to take a good look at it in the save.

I'm sorry Catalyst is such a whiner... though perhaps if someone didn't take all her possessions she'd be happier! (And less likely to knock down a door in a tantrum and go on a rampage...)  But hey.  More Fun for all this way :-D

Also, and not to inject any politics into the thread (please, let's don't, please.  I like you all and I prefer it that way.)  But... without any for or against implied, here's a photo I took from a certain public assembly today that really reminded me of our Fortress.

Spoiler: Occupy Failcannon? (click to show/hide)
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: October 08, 2011, 10:24:36 pm »

This image proves that Failcannon will survive forever. 1300-ish years in the future (assuming the DF calendar is analogous to ours), people are making artistic renditions of the fortress's welcome mat. They are accurate enough to assume the sign is still up. If the sign was ever destroyed, another would be made in its place so long as Failcannon was alive, and if Failcannon should ever fall, the sign would surely crumble.

What this means is that the sign must be preserved as long as the fortress is alive, and it must also be rigged to the self-destruct lever that will collapse the tombs and unleash the undead army.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: October 08, 2011, 10:41:47 pm »

...What this means is that the sign must be preserved as long as the fortress is alive, and it must also be rigged to the self-destruct lever that will collapse the tombs and unleash the undead army.

...You're a freaking genius...

In other news: the update!

Post Humus journal of Erica Wheelcircles the Legendary Die-r

Lately I’ve been managing the trade with Stakud, the owner of the dwarven caravans. Bastard is shrewd, and none of us are even moderately skilled as traders.

The first big hurdle was getting everyone to stop work and go trade. Since the living still tend to ignore us, I had to possess Zasit and charge up to the top of the ramparts and look at the caravan I already knew was camped out there. After sprinting like an elite elven coward up, I had to do it all again in reverse, being even more difficult to avoid slipping and smashing myZasit’s ugly mug face on the ground, find everyone, and tell them the caravan was here and to stop everything to run topside and pile heaps of trash onto the depot. By that point I lost concentration and couldn’t directly possess Zasit, who went back to digging with the rest of the construction team. It took a week for someone to realize the gates needed opened. Zasit was so concentrated on digging I couldn’t pull her away, and nobody was ever in earshot for me to give the order verbally. Once that was done, and the traders had marched into the depot and unloaded their crap, I noticed our broker was nowhere to be seen. It wasn’t hard to find him; he’d taken the opportunity to reassure us that he really was a legendary sleeper. After that, he decided to clean his room, as well as shuffle the items in his cabinets, spending about a full day. I confronted him shortly afterward about it;

“Gizogin! What’s taking so long? The traders have been up there twiddling their thumbs for a week, waiting on you. You’re the only dwarf here who knows anything about dealing with traders, and we can’t afford to let this go poorly!”

“Lay off you old hag; I’m legally assured a certain amount of food, booze, and time each year for recreation. There’s nothing saying I can’t take it now, nor that I’m legally obligated to do anything during recreational periods. I didn’t eat dinner last night anyway and was feeling a little dry. I’ll get around to it.”

Bastard decided to spend all 200 hours of it in one sitting. When I asked again he pulled the “non-specific recreational periods” clause on me as well. Needless to say, I fired him. I plan to have Zasit depict the event in a statue of her striking a menacing pose as he weeps, with the newly appointed broker, Kirby, in the back jumping with joy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course we had to take a week off with Kirby to try to show her some good ways to deal with the traders, before she was actually ready to go out there and do business. Once begun, it went… Acceptably. Nobody was particularly pleased with the trading, though, and I stepped in for Kirby’s conscience when she started slipping;

“You want HOW MUCH for three asses?”

Very confused Stakud; “Uhh... Face value, with 75% extra profit. I can’t just give them away, you know. Bathing in magma with a pissed off cave bear is probably safer than running a wagon train through these cursed lands. It costs enough to pay the guards and hire new merchants to replace the ones who quit the instant they’re on safe ground, and I of course expect to retire, alive, some day.”

“And WE live here. We absolutely must have living livestock, food and drink, and weapons. I know all we have to offer is old clothes from the deceased, but come on! It’s not that hard to sell them, is it?”

“More than you would know. The next biggest thing your paying for is overtime for the liaisons that I hired to take the paperwork every year. Where are they? Dead?”

“Well, no… The mayor hasn’t had time to deal with them yet.”

“Ah. Legally guaranteed annual recreational periods?”

“Uhh… Sure. Something like that. I would suggest you simply not hire them. We’re rather fed up with offering your employees permanent unofficial retirement.”

“If you knew anything about the Led, you’d know that she wanted as many dwarves stuffed into this shack as possible, and that any laws involved with that, like the ones governing my actions, expire after 20 years, and must be renewed as a whole. The last thing she mandated before the city was destroyed by demons was to tack on renewal of all other contracts to that package, and forbid export of wood for an 11 year period, strangely. The surviving lawmakers throughout the nation are still operating on her word, though. Whole world really has gone to hell in the greater picture… Wars everywhere, the demons that escaped ravaging dwarven fortresses throughout the home range and down in the human and elf villages. A good chunk of the populace of this half of the continent is spread out through the wilderness at this point.
Anyway, you were looking to buy these -fine- asses? I’ll cut you a deal; I’ll take face value with 10% profit, and my pick of the trash in this pile over here.” *gestures to a pile of trash*

“Finally! I’ll take it.” *chisels approval onto slab*

“Thanks. Pleasure doing business with you.” *snicker*

As it turns out, that pile of trash was the entirety of what we had prepared to offer as trade. Cunning bastard lead me right into a trap with the small talk... You should have seen the bill on the steel gear! Dear Armok it would make a god soil their loincloth to make such profit! Of course I had left Kirby to deal with it herself in my anger…

Trade concluded, we had lost around 10k in trash to the tyrant. There was no sense of ethereal possession about him, but I still suspect him of being a spy for Led. I’m currently searching for a law that would give me some authority over the liaisons. Led or dead, a dwarf has his rights, and we can’t just order them around without good reason.

Progress on the S-GES has been slow the last month or two due to everyone being involved with trading and taking their recreational time to enjoy the relatively fresh food and expensive booze. Zasit actually remembered what I wanted done for the upper catacombs. It’s been completed; Scaraban even finished hooking it up this morning. The Dead Dwarf Storage section is only around 3/7 of the way dug out, however.

Speaking of the dead, Etur the ghostly mason hasn’t left catalyst for even an instant this season. Makes one wonder whom she’s actually been ‘conducting meetings’ with, don’t it? Can’t blame her though, knowing that ¾ of the living are female. Now if only we could find her shoes and toss them up on the roof… The other spirits have been lazing around or simply asking me about progress lately, no real input. even Cheeze and DuckThatQuacks(Maniacally) have been floating around bored.
   Those damn groundhogs still perplex me. Will I ever figure out what’s keeping their pitiful selves alive? Find out next time on Dwarf Fortress: Failcannon!

Spoiler: Groundhogs! (click to show/hide)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Damn! Why do I always press post instead of preview?!

Heh. I had seriously considered drawing bouncin' dorf jubblies on Kirby in that sketch, since Kirby is one of the 9 women out of the fortress of 12.

On a more serious note, who votes the string of liaisons waiting on Catalyst get runesmith'd into submission as permanent residents?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:47:29 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: October 08, 2011, 10:55:14 pm »

I vote they get dumped in to her safe house somehow.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: October 08, 2011, 11:00:49 pm »

I've got two months left, perhaps I'd be able to set up an airlock for her, but I doubt it. Next overseer, I suppose?

Although 4 new dwarves would mean a 25% increase in work force.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:02:29 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: October 08, 2011, 11:06:03 pm »

Hey, I can't be blamed for any mental conditions I may or may not have, nor for the side effects of any medications I may or may not currently be taking.  ADHD/I (Acute Dwarven Hyperactivity Disorder - Inactivity) is serious business. 

I love how I'm just doing my own thing, whether it's charging into a room full of FBs or completely shirking my responsibilities as a broker.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: October 09, 2011, 12:16:53 am »

I'm guessing Aussie Dwarf was nowhere to be found when you wanted dwarves to do stuff?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: October 09, 2011, 12:51:23 am »

Actually, he was doing his job for the most part. I suppose he was never the one to pull any levers...

Oh.... Uhm... Welp. What was that about Catalyst being released into the fort to cause mayhem? :P

While I was busy managing other things and a path to Catalysts' cell was momentarily open to permit the construction of an airlock, Dariush came in and shot off her entire quiver into Catalyst as she slept, seriously maiming her and leaving a large number of bolts stuck in her lower body and upper legs (I don't think she thought much good of Catalyst's groin... How do I always notice these things?!), and a few shots to the upper body, all in all destroying many major organs. Then she walked away.
I take this as the merciless Avenger's vengeance on her for escaping when she was running amok earlier this year...
Mebtob, the as-of-yet-un-nicknamed migrant, is attempting to recover wounded, but we all know how the traitors scare the poor souls like her.

It doesn't look like she's going to make it...

Oh dear Armok it gets worse! The idiot came in, picked her up, and immediately cancelled the recover wounded job in fear, still carrying her to the other side of the room before dropping her. Then hacks her head off with her axe and all the liaisons leave. Gizogin is elected mayor... I am suspicious.

I am an idiot. :-[

Mebtob isn't listed as an enemy/former member of either the civ or local government, but I'm locking her in just in case... There's something wrong with the liaison that's in there with her; she's on the second story running back and forth in a manner reminiscent of civie terror. Don't think she has LOS to Mebtob anyway, and Mebtob is ignoring her.

Should Mebtob be possessed by Catalyst's angry ghost as a form of succession? :o
Still don't know if she's considered a traitor...

Following her death; the arrival of a forgotten beast:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:58:19 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: October 09, 2011, 01:33:15 am »

AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

EXCELLENT.

Also, good job locking her in just in case.  Sometimes the loyalty-shift really does seem to just jump randomly whenever there's a death or attack, sometimes with delay.  Erica, for example was definitely NOT in combat, and nowhere near combat, and it had been at least a week since the last exchange of blows.

Spoiler: I recommend... (click to show/hide)
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: October 09, 2011, 01:50:01 am »

I'd agree with "possession".  I'm just sad that Catalyst's end was so anticlimactic.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 189