Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 115174 times)

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:12 pm »

Will there be poisons?

Hadn't thought of that, but yes, there definitely should be poisons. Sneak into someone's house, poison the food in their fridge while they're asleep and stalk outside the kitchen window till they wake up and have breakfast.

What about the fire? After all, houses burn down all the time. I imagine the police might find it odd if the body parts were strewn across several rooms, though.

Fire will be in the first release in the form of lighters so you can smoke and burn people with them, but you won't be able play as a firebug, lighting up entire blocks and such, for quite awhile.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2010, 07:49:15 pm »

Fire will be in the first release in the form of lighters so you can smoke and burn people with them, but you won't be able play as a firebug, lighting up entire blocks and such, for quite awhile.
That is so sickly awesome, I praise you sir.
Nom nom nom

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2010, 07:49:43 pm »

Can we burn people's faces with cigarettes?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2010, 07:51:48 pm »

Would we be able to frame people if we wanted to?

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2010, 07:52:03 pm »

I think this'll reach 50 pages by the end of tomorrow.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2010, 07:59:50 pm »

Yes. And you can blow smoke in their faces.

How would the game mechanics recognize murder instead of an accidental fire?

The chain will work like this : Witness has seen your face. Witness has seen you trespass at location X. Witness has seen you light a fire at location X. Witness calls police and gives description of your face and the crimes you committed at location X, as well as the time. So if someone dies at that location due to a fire, they know that it was murder, and they will have your description, which increases heat on your character.

Another good idea that I hadn't though of. It's possible with the evidence gathering system that I'm creating. Plant other people's DNA at crime scenes and such, but it'd probably end up being too much coding for too little reward.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:04:16 pm by TheCrimsonKing »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:41 pm »

Holy shit, this'll make for some great interrogation to kill criminals.

I'm orgasming at the mere thought of burning some creep's face with a cigarette and blowing the smoke into his face.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:24 pm »

Will there be other criminals in the game?

If so, will killing them make you seem less like a murderer?
It would make for a game where you try to be as heroic as possible, even though it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »

Yes. And you can blow smoke in their faces.

How would the game mechanics recognize murder instead of an accidental fire?

The chain will work like this : Witness has seen your face. Witness has seen you trespass at location X. Witness has seen you light a fire at location X. Witness calls police and gives description of your face and the crimes you committed at location X, as well as the time. So if someone dies at that location due to a fire, they know that it was murder, and they will have your description, which increases heat on your character.

Another good idea that I hadn't though of. It's possible with the evidence gathering system that I'm creating. Plant other people's DNA at crime scenes and such, but it'd probably end up being too much coding for too little reward.

Can we light matches on their faces? I've always wanted to do that IRL.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:15 pm »

Holy shit, this'll make for some great interrogation to kill criminals.

I'm orgasming at the mere thought of burning some creep's face with a cigarette and blowing the smoke into his face.

Why is everyone orgasming so much? All you people's character thought logs are going to be variations on "Acanthus has been ecstatic lately. He burned someone's face with the end of his cigarette recently. He blew smoke into a man's face recently." And your status screen will probably say, "In good health. Fully rested. Wide awake. Frenzied."

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:34 pm »

With all the orgasming going on, this begs the question. Will that line be crossed in this game? It's a crime simulator afterall.

I can somehow even think of that being a disorder that your character must do or break down.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2010, 08:09:06 pm »

With all the orgasming going on, this begs the question. Will that line be crossed in this game? It's a crime simulator afterall.

I can somehow even think of that being a disorder that your character must do or break down.

Rape is O.K. as long as it's a Rouge Like.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2010, 08:10:02 pm »

We're orgasming because of the potential this has.

And on the rape...

:S
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2010, 08:12:09 pm »

It would be interesting if you played as a SKX, or in other words, a serial killer killer. If one were to play such a profile, it would be cool if the public got on your side to an extent.

"And the jury rules...Not guilty!"
"What!? But the evidence was obvious!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2010, 08:15:22 pm »

Will there be other criminals in the game?

If so, will killing them make you seem less like a murderer?
It would make for a game where you try to be as heroic as possible, even though it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

NPC's will be divided into factions like police, civilians, petty criminals, hardcore criminals and so on.

Also, copypaste :

There will be a cooling off period between murders with the desire to kill ramping back up over time. The need will fluctuate. The penalties for ignoring the need to kill will depend on the psychological traits of your character.
It's hard to see in the video because of the quality, but there's a psychopathy checklist for the PC. The current settings are placeholders that will be overhauled to determine the PC's serial killer "class" as well as their base psychological state. I intend to code a comprehensive list of traits.
The effects of these traits will deepen the longer you deny the urge to kill. Deeply disturbed individuals will be increasingly hard to control no matter what you do, eventually leading to their downfall.

There will also be victim profiles, types of people that your character prefers to target. You could make a Dexter-like character that only wants to kill other murderers, then join the police force and use their resources (criminal database) to find killers. You could also add a trait to make it so that he flat out refuses to kill innocent NPC's unless they try to kill him.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 73