Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?  (Read 10746 times)

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:53 am »

Stuff

*Applause*

EDIT:  I seriously don't get how something like tectonics gets so much love.  I'm all for realism, but Toady's time is limited and I don't see how tectonics could be more important than fleshing out core gameplay
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:32:28 am by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 03:54:45 pm »

Stuff

*Applause*

EDIT:  I seriously don't get how something like tectonics gets so much love.  I'm all for realism, but Toady's time is limited and I don't see how tectonics could be more important than fleshing out core gameplay

Wholeheartedly agree.  Realism isn't even a good defense for the idea.  2 inches a year is fast for a plate, which means that landmasses will only shift a maximum of 167 feet every thousand years.  Implementing a system to shift terrain less than a dwarf's line of sight over the span of nearly the entire history of most worlds just doesn't seem sound.

Filing the realism claim under "You fail geology forever"
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 09:57:30 pm »

Hell, since space is entirely relative in DF, trying to simulate tectonic plates would only end in tears and confusion.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:25 pm »

It's not going to come next version, but what I'd like to see in the future is related to what Vercingetorix wants - having your fortress more tied into the world.

In my ideal DF, we'll be able to build inns, taverns and shops which indiviudals and groups of travellers can use. Perhaps some of the travellers will even settle down, so you could have a multi-cultural fort.   
This.

It needs more "outside" characters which their own stories and feats. It may be simple as adventure mode chat, but they should have some trophies they can show you in an "inn" when they migrate through your site, and that should inspire dwarves (these stories will appear on engravings etc.) and teach them some skills.

And a better organized lore would definitely be great, with more details.

Also a lot of other stuff, so let's try to make a list.

- More detailed world lore, with minor details like someone's important mannerisms written in legends and their adventures located there (not only kills, but long travels/writing of songs/writing of books).
- Documented lore in gameplay (books, stories, songs).
- Entertainment: "on break" replaced with actual actions, like walking, playing games, chatting, playing musical instruments etc.
- More "heroes" based on lore: legendary warriors, well-known merchants, talented bards; right now we can only find a hero when we scoop through tons of unorganized legends randomly; if the game logged minor "personal achievements" it would be possible.
- Interaction of your dwarves with outsider "heroes" mentioned before, with the way to give them minor quests and provide equipment.

Well all these are quite complex, but that's the things I would like most now.

I definitely want gameplay elements like ability to train/assign specific war animals etc. to be done, but that's not interesting to talk about :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 07:27:37 am »

Water mega beastssssss, Ctulhu would be awesome.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:03 am »

Bug fixes.

Nothing but. And I really mean nothing. All I want to see is a whole lot of green on the bug tracker. Please, Toady. *Just that* this time. Begging you here, clean up all existing messes before you make new ones.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 08:44:29 am »

Nothing but. And I really mean nothing. All I want to see is a whole lot of green on the bug tracker. Please, Toady. *Just that* this time.
You know this is hopeless, right? Almost everyone here is on suicidal track. If bug will not blew up their computer, they will want new features, not bugfixes. And they will got it - for price of incrementally more and more unmaintanable mess. Strata upon strata of new, old and very old bugs that no one care about. I predict that in a few years this project will due to this have a slow, agonizing and horrible, horrible death.

Begging you here, clean up all existing messes before you make new ones.
As entity implementing shows, he will not do this. While cleaning ALL of existing mess is impossible and impractical before moving on, current way of doing things is for me rater crappy compromise. Toady do little bugfixing and do some new things - of course introducing more bugs than he fixes. Rinse and repeat. This can end only in one way, as said in previous paragraph.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 10:29:09 am »

Thats rather apocalyptic isnt it? I mean, Toady does not leave any major bugs... There will certainly be time for the minor bugfixes
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2010, 01:21:06 pm »

True, but there are seriously annoying things that have been in there for a long time and everyone wants fixed, just with varying levels of desperation.  I like the new stuff, but the old stuff that still sucks begins to sap the will to keep playing even when new spectacular features get added.  Fixing those old problems could end up being a lot more refreshing than the new features.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2010, 01:47:59 pm »

Less blood. If possible, the seasonal cleaning of ALL LIQUIDS THAT SPREAD INFINITELY and cause lag. Limits on stuff that cause lag and ways for people to effect this. Also for those who don't use cheat tools. Using third party cheat tools or making them yourself is not an answer to DF's problems.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »

METEORITES!

Actually doable i think. Create a random sized explosive mass which would fall every once in a while. Would be fun to live in year 1051 in a HUGE meteorite crater created in year 562 which wiped out the local elf population on that subcontinent...

Have dwarfs go into strange moods ("The end is nigh!") a year or so before a major meteorite hits on or near your fortress.
Have some of the meteorites have a chance of introducing alien wildlife to your dwarfia (i.e. megabeasts and semi-megabeasts).
(droooools)
I also suggested the meteorites before. But also other catastrophies.

An alien (adamantine) ship landing with eggs inside that carry Weyland-Yutani logos on them! An alien infestation would be nice to deal with. They could be sort of dorfish-version, where they use dead corpses and gather them to feed and reproduce with GCS-like webbings. And grab children and animals! And get their features or attributes!

I'd also like to recruit trolls, tigermen, elves, humans and anything with intellect to work in my Fortress. Slaves would be nice.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2010, 02:14:02 pm »

I want to be able to name my military squads, for frick's sake. "THE PAPER DEFENSES" ISN'T IRONICALLY FUNNY, IT'S STUPID.

Also naming dorfs would be nice. And getting rid of the infernally long names that don't fit on the screen.
Also nicknames... confuse a lot of things when you can't id your dorfs easily.

If anything, the dwarves should get a short nickname when they get good at stuff instead of annoyingly long ones.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:46 pm »

I want to be able to name my military squads, for frick's sake. "THE PAPER DEFENSES" ISN'T IRONICALLY FUNNY, IT'S STUPID.

Also naming dorfs would be nice. And getting rid of the infernally long names that don't fit on the screen.
Also nicknames... confuse a lot of things when you can't id your dorfs easily.

If anything, the dwarves should get a short nickname when they get good at stuff instead of annoyingly long ones.

Already implemented. u-v-y-c
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2010, 04:13:02 pm »

Trading that isn't totally uninteresting.

Only weeks into playing the game I figured out that the trade agreements were absolutely pointless. The human and dwarven caravans bring some of pretty much everything regardless, so requesting stuff is kinda moot. And when you DO need to request stuff: (say you have no steel and need to import it) you can max out your request for steel bars and have the next caravan bring you a healthy helping of three or so bars. The effects of the agreement are so subtle they make virtually no difference. I should be able to request them to bring 5k dwarfpounds of steel if that's what I need. It could be at an extreme markup, and that be great with me, because that leads into the next point:

Invaders drop so much crap, virtually no fort needs to produce any goods whatsoever. All the different economies are pointless. I dump half the crap from invaders and still end up giving away thousands of dwarfbucks in socks and crap to caravans just to get it off my map.

Right now elves are the only traders that bring any interesting goods period. Exotic animals are the only things that are likely scarce amongst the caravans.

Ideally you could put in requests for specific creatures. You might have to wait years for them to finally catch one and bring it, and the asking price could be something like 10k, but it would be so much more gratifying than any current trade.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2010, 02:08:56 am »

Trading that isn't totally uninteresting.

Only weeks into playing the game I figured out that the trade agreements were absolutely pointless. The human and dwarven caravans bring some of pretty much everything regardless, so requesting stuff is kinda moot. And when you DO need to request stuff: (say you have no steel and need to import it) you can max out your request for steel bars and have the next caravan bring you a healthy helping of three or so bars. The effects of the agreement are so subtle they make virtually no difference. I should be able to request them to bring 5k dwarfpounds of steel if that's what I need. It could be at an extreme markup, and that be great with me, because that leads into the next point:

Invaders drop so much crap, virtually no fort needs to produce any goods whatsoever. All the different economies are pointless. I dump half the crap from invaders and still end up giving away thousands of dwarfbucks in socks and crap to caravans just to get it off my map.

Right now elves are the only traders that bring any interesting goods period. Exotic animals are the only things that are likely scarce amongst the caravans.

Ideally you could put in requests for specific creatures. You might have to wait years for them to finally catch one and bring it, and the asking price could be something like 10k, but it would be so much more gratifying than any current trade.

For getting steel bars through imports though, I find you're best bet is to max out all three iron ores, iron bars, pig iron bars, steel bars, all the available flux stones, both coal stones, processed coal and charcoal and expect to do some processing yourself.  All that stuff weighs so much you won't see much of anything else on a caravan.  I'll add the caveat though that I haven't done that in 0.31.* yet, and when I did it in 0.28.*, especially 40d, I had to up the trade capacity of wagons to get enough to keep work going for more than a season (the one in particular I was building a city out of brass another was a citadel of iron... bonus points to any who get the second reference, the first is too easy ;D).

Since I'm posting in this thread anyway: 
I'm personally in the bugfix, cleanup and optimize before adding more crowd. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7