Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38

Author Topic: Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead  (Read 50009 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
« Reply #525 on: February 21, 2013, 08:13:15 am »

I would, but I'm holding out for ARMA3 right now, rather than buying ARMA2. It's only 6 months or so now I think.
The demo is good enough until then for me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #526 on: February 21, 2013, 01:03:39 pm »

I love the game and would join,

but I am incredibly useless at arma and never actually got the hang of it

No worries on that account. It's a hard game, and many people don't know how to play. Doing it alone and lone-wolfing on servers also isn't going to help. FA actually have optional workshops that you can attend, and just by going to missions as "a regular grunt" you'll learn a ton :) I had barely played any ArmA before, since I never had the rig to play it :) Also, there are tons of internationals with all sorts of weird accents, if that's another concern of yours.

It's also mod-free, so it's just "go and join", don't need to install anything special :)

So, now the game's actually a bit cheaper, I've been wondering if anyone's picked this up.
Perhaps it's time for some more bay12 missions?

I certainly would love to host my procedurally generated ACE mission, "Lost In Chernarus". Sure it can be a bit of a trek, but it's near-impossible combat end to end.
...I've never actually completed it without some sort of cheat, either.

ACE is really nice - but more than that I like ACRE! :)

I would, but I'm holding out for ARMA3 right now, rather than buying ARMA2. It's only 6 months or so now I think.
The demo is good enough until then for me.

I'm not entirely sure how fast the big communities are going to transition over to ArmA 3, to be honest. Many of them have relatively large code and mission bases which means the loss of a LOT of content. Not to mention the majority of people need to have a rig to run it...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:17 pm »

Messed around with the editor, found the high command module that lets you add groups under a player's control.  If you give two opposed armies a player commander, you can have a nice little hybrid FPS/RTS that can be played with as few as two people, and expanded to have more complicated structures if you want more players (I think you could have 3 players, each commanding their own group of infantry, and then above them a higher commander that gives orders to them and maybe some vehicles).

Despite some awkwardness giving commands, its great to give orders to your troops and then watch them get carried out from your on-the-ground officer view.  Its also very quick to set up missions because you don't need to tell the AI soldiers what to do or code in win conditions; since everyone in the fight is commanded by a player, you can just agree on rules beforehand.  I've only run a few test games so far; my favorite was a massive beach landing in Utes.  BLUFOR started at the aircarft carrier with 3 platoons of infantry (that's over 120 men) all already loaded into a dozen machine-gun equipped boats; they also had 2 pairs of Apache gunships.  The other guy decided he couldn't reach the beach in time to defend it, so I got to peacefully watch all my men land on the beach and dismount.  The mission had some (entertaining, and hopefully solvable) flaws though:

1.  I made each platoon its own group so that there would only be five units the BLUFOR player had to command.  I thought the AI would interpret this as 4 separate squads moving separately but under the same officer.  What actually happened was each platoon became a giant 36 man wedge moving slowly in formation.
2.  I was inspired to do this by a shacktac mission where they stormed a beach. Unbeknownst to me, they did this in Chernoski, which has a huge beach.  Utes has the tiniest possible beach, which caused the ships to get confused and stuck and made it take at least five minutes to fully land and form up.
3.  I've heard Apache gunships are scary and OPFOR didn't get any vehicles, so I gave them 3 dedicated AA sections.  I don't know what a fair amount would have been, because every Apache that moved in died immediately without even a chance to fire.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 22, 2013, 12:00:55 am »

I've been having fun with the Wasteland maps lately. There are a lot of good lets plays on Youtube that show what they're like, but essentially it's a sandboxy map with the same essence as DayZ but it's not a mod and it doesn't have zombies.

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:45 am »

EnigmaticHat, you should check out the warfare mode. Your goal is to capture each town on the map, you can play as the CO and build your main base using money acquired through supply routes and kills. Then the squad leaders use their money(from wages and kills) to buy troops/equipment allowing them to complete objectives set by the CO. Play it multiplayer with humans on both sides and it turns into a really cool rts/fps.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:14 am »

Hat: one AA should be enough to take a few helicopters. Bitches be effective.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 22, 2013, 04:29:15 am »

--SNIP--

The AI in A2 can be absolutely atrocious though... from shooting through trees while you can't possibly see them to horrible vehicle problems. I must've spent 20h trying to get a chopper drop-off at a dynamic location. Still didn't work reliable, so screw it.

I feel where ArmA 2 shines really is in organised adversarial (possibly coop) missions with many people. These are my favourite. There's something grand in seeing 60+ people execute a plan that one of them came up with. Squad leaders taking initiative on their own, Fireteam leaders microing their guys and all the way down to the grunts deciding which way to cover. It's amazing, and 100% up to the people playing, not some random number generator! :)

I've been having fun with the Wasteland maps lately. There are a lot of good lets plays on Youtube that show what they're like, but essentially it's a sandboxy map with the same essence as DayZ but it's not a mod and it doesn't have zombies.

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)

I never did get much into DayZ. Kinda felt at a loss... Wasteland sounds absolutely amazing though. Would you suggest any server where teamplay happens, with TS and all that?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 23, 2013, 02:58:46 pm »

I certainly would love to host my procedurally generated ACE mission, "Lost In Chernarus".
ACE is really nice - but more than that I like ACRE! :)
Well, I've got ACRE on an on/off setup, so incorporating it into the mission really shouldn't be difficult.
If we could get hold of a Teamspeak server that is.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 26, 2013, 06:25:44 pm »

By the way, ArmA 3 Alpha is going live on the 5th of March. That's next week!

You can buy it for €25, or, I think, $35 on that day :) You'll get access to alpha, beta, and final versions. There's also additional options, such as the deluxe edition and the suparthingie edition that will get you all DLCs (but not standalone expansions) etc. But that's quite a bit more expensive :P

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 26, 2013, 06:38:19 pm »

*Puts his swimming gear on in preparation to swim in a sea of glorious bugs!*

Also I don't know if it's been mentioned but ARMA 3 is a steam exclusive. That might piss some people off, but it means that the devs won't have to be wasting their time releasing a version for every single platform they released the game on. Plus, with Steam's delta patching, you won't have to download a huge amount of data even if a large file was updated. I remember a while back I had to redownload ARMA2 almost entirely because of one of their patches...

EDIT: Copy-pasted from an RPS comment
Quote from: BloonerNL
5th March you can buy 1 of three packages: Alpha package, Digital Deluxe package, Supporter package.

Apha package is €25 and gives you access to Alpha, Beta, and the full game.
Digital Deluxe is €40 and additionally gives you downloads of the soundtrack, maps, and a guide.
Supporter is €70 and also gives you ARMA1. ARMA1:QG, ARMA2, ARMA2:A, ARMA2:BAF, ARMA2:PMC and any non-standalone DLC that “may or may not” come out for ARMA3.

Price of the game will increase as development goes on. Final price for ARMA3 will be €45.

Recommended system requirements:
OS Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 SP1
PROCESSOR Intel Core i5-2300 / AMD Phenom II X4 940
GRAPHICS Nvidia GeForce GTS 560 / AMD Radeon HD 7750
GPU MEMORY 1 GB
DirectX® 11
RAM 4 GB
HARD DRIVE 25 GB free space
HARD DRIVE (ALPHA) 20 GB free space
AUDIO DirectX® compatible soundcard
OTHER Internet connection and free Steam account to activate
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:46:38 pm by OzyTheSage »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 26, 2013, 06:52:39 pm »

Awesome post :)

I am cautiously optimistic about performance. My current laptop is perhaps slightly above their recommended requirements, but has some difficulty with A2 on occasion. Have they truly got better graphics AND optimised performance that much?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49:39 am »

http://dslyecxi.com/an-arma3-video-surprise-on-monday/

Wonder if I should go make an ARMA 3 topic in preparation, or if this topic will do fine for both games.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:31 am »

Oh dear god it's actually happened.
There I was thinking that Armed Assault was the only game I wouldn't hesitate to buy for full price on day one.
And now I'm hesitating about buying it at full price on day one.
I could have gotten ArmA 2 on steam, but I specifically ordered a retail copy from a website I'd never used before. Or after.

Such a shame. I was really hoping to get the game from the Bohemia store this time around, but I probably won't if it's Steam only.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 27, 2013, 01:29:45 am »

It would be very strange for it to not be available from BI's own store. If possible I'll be buying it from that. It's just that the game will only exclusively run from steam, that is, you can only update it from steam and launch from steam.

http://www.arma3.com/buy#buy

Though I am maybe a tad confused. I got the impression it wasn't sold at other places... but if it is I imagine you're just buying a steam key from that particular store...

Buy directly from BI if you can, all the money should go to them if you do it that way, that's how I got M&B.

EDIT: I've seen a lot of people complain aboot the near-future setting. I think it's great that BI is doing that, leaves lots of room for modders to mod in contemporary and outdated stuff (which is is sometimes higher quality than 'standard' stuff). Plus it means that BI will have to add in new features just to get fancy new things to work. A lot of the stuff that's been showcased is prototype stuff that actually kinda exists, so it's nothing too fantastical... though some of it does look a bit silly =p

Can't wait to see ACE3 and ACRE2

EDIT 2: Just saw this post from somebody who is being affiliated with ARMA 3 purchases
Quote from: Impulse 9
I have yet to receive any detailed information on when the BI Store will be up for the alpha/beta orders.
There is no increased cost from ordering from BIStore. In some cases it is cheaper than ordering from Steam.

I expect to hear back sometime tomorrow from my contact @ BIStore.

More edits, I just can't go to sleep: Just saw something on the ARMA3 website... if they have finally fully implemented the 3d mission editor myself and many mission creators will be very, very happy people. Rrrhhhggg

Really tempted to go many an ARMA 3 topic... but it still seems too soon especially since the game won't be "out" until later this year....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:07:13 am by OzyTheSage »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 27, 2013, 05:32:53 am »

Heheh, well, this could just become the "arma" topic :)

That's good news about the mission builder. Mostly, I just want AI to be smarter. I don't want them to shoot through trees, and I want chopper drop-offs etc to work. The AI is the main reason why many coops tend to be boring or not particularly inventive. If you try to go a little outside the box, it breaks. Heck, you can't get AI to reliably drop off someone in a chopper.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38