Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2732 2733 [2734] 2735 2736 ... 10992

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13502430 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #40995 on: December 05, 2013, 05:46:30 pm »

Thank you Darvi, everything is working now.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40996 on: December 05, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »

I get screamed at at home a lot (everyone does it seems) by one person.

I have ear plugs in, and I can still hear that person speaking perfectly (because they are so loud).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40997 on: December 05, 2013, 07:11:56 pm »

I have ear plugs in, and I can still hear that person speaking perfectly (because they are so loud).
The trick is not to drown out the noise, but to scramble it. Words become drunk guppy fish raining in a torrent of aquatic fauna descending down a living river.
Also what do they normally shout about? Dealing with issues is often a better long-term goal than ignoring them.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40998 on: December 05, 2013, 07:12:25 pm »

I remember this:   
Sorry, but this video is unavailable from your location.
But hey, at least you have kangaroos and boomerangs.

I shit you not, it actually says that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40999 on: December 05, 2013, 07:42:26 pm »

The trick is not to drown out the noise, but to scramble it. Words become drunk guppy fish raining in a torrent of aquatic fauna descending down a living river.
Also what do they normally shout about? Dealing with issues is often a better long-term goal than ignoring them.

This person has a pathological need to yell at others so they don't have to face their own failings.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you try to ignore this person, they get pissed and yell louder/make it so you can't ignore them. They're gonna complain and bitch and that's about all there is to it. Usually, it's emotionally abusive personal insults about every fiber of your being over something like leaving a glass out for a short period of time (no damage to anything) or the cat throwing up (cats do that).... It is a mental health issue and sadly does not have to make sense (so it doesn't). I feel bad for the person in question more than I am mad at them (most of the time--there are exceptions).

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41000 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »

Hulu, your ads are bad and you should feel bad.

>Ad about how the latest smartphone is better because "it's faster".
>Slogan is just, "It's faster."
>Ad displays a situation where faster is worse because it robs people of the ability to participate in an event.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41001 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:54 pm »

This person has a pathological need to yell at others so they don't have to face their own failings.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you try to ignore this person, they get pissed and yell louder/make it so you can't ignore them. They're gonna complain and bitch and that's about all there is to it. Usually, it's emotionally abusive personal insults about every fiber of your being over something like leaving a glass out for a short period of time (no damage to anything) or the cat throwing up (cats do that).... It is a mental health issue and sadly does not have to make sense (so it doesn't). I feel bad for the person in question more than I am mad at them (most of the time--there are exceptions).
The easiest way to get rid of someone like this, in my experience, is to shrug and say, "Not my problem." They ratchet up the volume, you deadpan, "I don't care. Fuck off." Then, stop validating their existence, no matter how loud they yell and scream. If they get physical, well, you have a built in excuse to beat their brains in.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41002 on: December 05, 2013, 09:51:22 pm »

The easiest way to get rid of someone like this, in my experience, is to shrug and say, "Not my problem." They ratchet up the volume, you deadpan, "I don't care. Fuck off." Then, stop validating their existence, no matter how loud they yell and scream. If they get physical, well, you have a built in excuse to beat their brains in.
"You decided to make me care by making you my problem?"

EDIT: Ah, but seriously, proportional retribution. Don't hurt them any harder than they try to hurt you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41003 on: December 05, 2013, 09:54:15 pm »

"You decided to make me care by making you my problem?"

EDIT: Ah, but seriously, proportional retribution. Don't hurt them any harder than they try to hurt you.
Just enough to get them to leave you alone is usually enough, even if they come at you with a weapon. Note: There is a pressure point in the middle of the bicep. Stick your thumb in it by grabbing their upper arm, step into them with your shoulder and push backward at the same time. Effective GTFO.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41004 on: December 05, 2013, 10:00:32 pm »

Yeah, that is also a good limitation, and probably more important.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41005 on: December 05, 2013, 11:15:13 pm »

So then, what do you do when your family jackass wants to get physical, and he's both larger and more muscular than you and spent his childhood learning how to fight (wrestling and martial arts) and you have no such skill?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41006 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:03 pm »

Lure him into a group of other people.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41007 on: December 05, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »

So then, what do you do when your family jackass wants to get physical, and he's both larger and more muscular than you and spent his childhood learning how to fight (wrestling and martial arts) and you have no such skill?

Challenge him to a duel after slapping him with a glove?

And by duel, I mean ten paces and then fire like a motherfucker at each other :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41008 on: December 05, 2013, 11:48:42 pm »

3.5 Psionics really was broken. All these years, I've been living a lie!

Mind you, every argument I ever saw for it was either wrong or a double standard, but they still came to the correct conclusion.

You see, magic has an obscure throwaway line that restricts spellcasters to one spell per round, not counting swift, immediate or free actions. The only place this rule appears is in another rule that details an exception to it. This disables a lot of schticks for abusing the action economy, since you no longer have anything gamebreaking to do with your obnoxious number of rounds. Psionics has no such line, and with the Celerity line of spells rendered about as powerful as they were originally intended, it also has the best action economy abuse available.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41009 on: December 06, 2013, 12:05:30 am »

What line is that?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2732 2733 [2734] 2735 2736 ... 10992