Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7898 7899 [7900] 7901 7902 ... 10994

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13536112 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118485 on: February 21, 2017, 03:57:38 pm »

I'm not looking for HFY type stuff anymore, more like HWTF, those tend to be ok.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:59:22 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118486 on: February 21, 2017, 03:59:47 pm »

All of a sudden, there's like nothing happening in the threads I've PTWed in and the servers I'm on.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118487 on: February 21, 2017, 04:24:07 pm »

I'm not looking for HFY type stuff anymore, more like HWTF, those tend to be ok.
Yeah same here.  I shared my HWTF, but I'd "like to hear more", hehe.

I see humanity as a triumph of adaptability - and that might have horrifying consequences...  But another of our innate values is compassion.  The conflict between the two is good sci-fi, and it's possible to balance both.
Sci-fi where adaptation wins out is good too, just horrifying.  And maybe just a bit played out.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #118488 on: February 21, 2017, 04:38:51 pm »

I beg to differ. As an American, I'm currently living out the intro to a HWTF story. It is not fun.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118489 on: February 21, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »

I beg to differ. As an American, I'm currently living out the intro to a HWTF story. It is not fun.
Why did I think you were British?  It must be your avatar...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #118490 on: February 21, 2017, 04:50:21 pm »

Andrew Ryan was not British.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118491 on: February 21, 2017, 04:51:18 pm »

Ninjad.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118492 on: February 21, 2017, 04:53:54 pm »

Dangit, I missed the Deathworlders discussion, I actually liked Deathworlders.
Or, well, the parts where they fought the Hunters, I have very low standards, and it did get a bit untethered later on.
I did like the side stories more, though.

Oh, right, WTF thread, I've been learning some basic chemistry and physics, and it is annoying me to no end that I can't figure out why Neutrons bother with attaching to Protons, the best I got was the Strong Nuclear Force, but I am way too low level to understand what half of the terms mean.
You're right, it's strong nuclear force.
._.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118493 on: February 21, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »

Robert Monroe actualy hinted a pretty decent HWTF idea on the last pages of one of his books. Something about most of the intelligent life forms of the universe developing psychic powers before they develop steam tech, eventualy learning to use said powers to sustain all their basic needs, and easily achieving peaceful cohexistence as a result. Then they find earth and, to their horror realize that, despite being considerably advanced, the huge majority of humans have never tapped into their psychic potential, meaning they have no control over it, and that trying to contact a human (as a very psy-sentitive alien) is pretty much like trying to talk with a living, walking storm.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118494 on: February 21, 2017, 05:11:12 pm »

Andrew Ryan was not British.
It looks British
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118495 on: February 21, 2017, 05:21:16 pm »

This morning I told my boss that it was a lovely april day (hint: it's not april), right now I am wearing a thin jacket, and if it wasn't for that fact that I don't own a long sleave shirt I would not even be wearing that.

Two years ago around this time one of the neighbors underground water lines froze (after many years of trouble free operation). Freezing that pipe required many days of below zero temperatures (in order to drive frost down that deep).

I guess the most consistent thing about the weather is how inconsistent it is year-to-year...

Same here, tho it's not so much year to year now as it is month to month, or even week to week. A week ago it was stupidly sunny and hot, going up as far as 20C during most of the afternoon hours before dropping to less than 10 during the night. Now they're saying we could se gale force winds and fucking snow next weekend.

Tho it just goes to confirm that old proverb about winter, if it doesn't bite you it'll surely give you a whack of it's tail.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #118496 on: February 21, 2017, 06:06:27 pm »

What is HFY and HWTF again? (I'm too lazy to search through to find the page where it was initially mentioned)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118497 on: February 21, 2017, 06:13:35 pm »

"Humanity Fuck Yeah, and as a subversion of that "Humanity WTF!?"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118498 on: February 21, 2017, 06:33:13 pm »

Yeah same here.  I shared my HWTF, but I'd "like to hear more", hehe.

I see humanity as a triumph of adaptability - and that might have horrifying consequences...  But another of our innate values is compassion.  The conflict between the two is good sci-fi, and it's possible to balance both.
Sci-fi where adaptation wins out is good too, just horrifying.  And maybe just a bit played out.

Sorta in that vein, there's a game I've been following over on SV that some of you might like if you haven't seen it already: The Practice War.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118499 on: February 21, 2017, 06:35:41 pm »

On a different subject, I reread The Guns Of The South recently and was again struck by how interest ing a sequel would have been. Unfortunately, Turtledove often leaves the more interesting ideas behind, either by ending series when things get interesting, or not following up the better novels.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 7898 7899 [7900] 7901 7902 ... 10994