Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 17 - Game Over!  (Read 230060 times)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: Paranormal Mafia - Round 17 - Day 5
« Reply #915 on: December 10, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »

Oh right, forgot to vote for Zathras for his sinful habit of lying.

Sure, might as well shorten.  The wool will come off your eyes soon enough, though.

These do not go together. 

If you're town, then you're essentially throwing away the game.  I doubt Zathras would have tried this unless he had an Operative and knew that he'd win if he succeeded.

If you're the Exterminator, you've basically signed your own death warrant by asking to shorten the day as well.  Heck, everyone except me has asked to shorten the day already and we're barely a few hours in... :-\

The only way this makes sense is if you happen to be the Exterminator Operative, but that barely makes sense either, because that would mean that Zathras is your exterminator otherwise why/how would he say that you did the kill last night. Thus you'd still lose.

Interesting thought. Option one is of course the most directly probable one. For the second one to be true, Kamina, Argembarger and Dariush would have to have lied about the "chains flavour" thing; a warden can't be an Exterminator. Can you think of a reason or combination of reasons for a townie, a dopp and an alien to all agree to lie for me, three days in a row?
Luckily / sadly no.  It would have been impressive though. I'll admit to not thinking through all of the details before posting. I didn't want the shortens to end the day before even getting a chance to say anything (although I don't think that would have happened in any case).

Another interesting point. But the Op would need to still have a kill left, they don't kill by default, but may have another bot or bomb or something, I don't know. Still, it would also need that I was lying about Toaster, and that all of the above lied for me earlier.
No, just the exterminator kill.  Losing 1 to mislynch and 1 to the Extermintor kill would have put us at 2v2 by itself.

But it's good you're thinking of options. Will you cast a vote? Will you object to the shorten request?
I can't really fit all of the details though, so you're probably right.  Toaster and no.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 10, 2010, 04:36:33 pm »

Oh right, forgot to vote for Zathras for his sinful habit of lying.

Just to make sure we got your claim straight, what am I lying about? Are you claiming I'm the exterminator? So when you earlier claimed you "detected" me, and that I was "telling the truth" was I using a modulator? And then conveniently the four people I claimed to have blocked claimed that they were indeed blocked? Or what is your claim for what happened last night?

Oh right, you were sitting quietly at home "detecting" Jim, while your evil twin went out to try to kill me and got Kamina instead, getting fingered in the process... right. Unfortunately, your claim on Jim is also bullshit:

Quote from: Toaster
Jim is indeed a Townsperson.

Quote from: rules
Townie
    Visible Role: No Role
Doppelganger
Survivor

Detective
    Rules: During the night, the Detective can investigate a character to determine what role, if any, the character possesses. Roles with the 'Visible Role' tag will show that role instead of thier actual Role.

There ain't such thing as a "Townsperson" role, if you had been a detective you would have seen "no role", which could also be true of a survivor (or a number of dopps, but we're out of those), so your very original "he's telling the truth" is you taking the safe fakeclaim route again.

Why don't you go ahead and claim now, to save us the uncertainty? Do you have an Op, or will the game be over today?
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 10, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »

I won't stand for that slight to my honor, sir!

I did remember to ask Meph on what the detective would see- I just forgot it when I saw that whole Kamina deal.

You'll just have to live with the uncertainty though!  At least I purged some of your dopp scum for you.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 10, 2010, 04:46:26 pm »

There ain't such thing as a "Townsperson" role, if you had been a detective you would have seen "no role", which could also be true of a survivor (or a number of dopps, but we're out of those), so your very original "he's telling the truth" is you taking the safe fakeclaim route again.

I actually am a Townsperson, as in, that's my role name. However, it's not clear what I would show up as to a Detective inspect.

Townsperson might just be the default 'no role' result that Detectives will get.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 10, 2010, 04:47:24 pm »

I won't stand for that slight to my honor, sir!

Honourable stance noted, slight withdrawn. Well played, sir!

Quote from: Toaster
You'll just have to live with the uncertainty though!  At least I purged some of your dopp scum for you.

Yup, thanks for offing Webadict. That was very welcome.

And with that claim, I call for an End Day.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 10, 2010, 04:58:22 pm »

Yeah, I don't think anyone would object to ending the day right now.

The public flavour is probably because there's no way it wouldn't come to light anyway.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #921 on: December 10, 2010, 05:00:36 pm »

As opposed to just shortening?

There's already a provision for this in the rules:
Nights will last for 24 hours or until I've heard from each player with a night role, whichever comes first.
  In the event of night role collision, see the order of presidence below. All actions within the same level are assumed to happen simultaniously.
  The Doppelgangers may choose to skip thier night kill. They may only do this twice in a row before their bloodlust forces them to kill.

:D

The public flavour is probably because there's no way it wouldn't come to light anyway.
True enough, but public confirmation for anything is always powerful.  I felt the same way about being able to set off the day-killing Assassin Bots in the thread versus PM.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 10, 2010, 05:02:42 pm »

Well, you could easily announce a kill in the thread AND send a pm at the same time.  There's no real reason not to allow it.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 10, 2010, 05:13:13 pm »

As opposed to just shortening?
Uhm.. whatever; I assume shortening means day lasts 24 hours instead of 48, while ending means "as soon as Meph gets around to it". Since the lynch is inevitable, the sooner the better so we can either celebrate or evaluate where we are... speaking of which, Meph, a question:

Quote from: rules
# Survivor
    Visable Role: No Role
    Race: Alien
    Goal: Survive
    Rules: The Alien is there for some other purpose, and is simply hiding as a human. Their only goal is to survive until the end of the game. They win as long as they are alive, regardless of which side wins.
    Tech: 1 Small Tech Slot
    Victory: Is alive and unabducted at the end of the game
# Exterminator
    Race: Alien
    Goal: Kill
    Victory: All non-Exterminator aligned players are dead

Meph: If we got into a situation of 2 town vs. Ext-Op+Survivor, would the aliens win? Or do the Ext team need the survivor dead to win?

If the game is not over, and the survivor would help the Ext Op win, then we should lynch Leafsnail first, instead of risking a mislynch on the Op...  just a thought.

Quote from: JTF
True enough, but public confirmation for anything is always powerful.  I felt the same way about being able to set off the day-killing Assassin Bots in the thread versus PM.

I don't get what you guys are talking about here regarding the public flavour... is it about Kamina's death, or Jim's role? As far as Jim's, I think a detective would explicitly get "no role" instead of "townsperson", as I read the rules, otherwise they'd get "townsperson" for survivors too; and Toaster did claim he asked Meph what a detective would see, and then forgot...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 10, 2010, 05:15:10 pm »

I'm not gonna side with the operative.  He has no kill, and no sway over me.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #925 on: December 10, 2010, 05:23:07 pm »

Well, you could easily announce a kill in the thread AND send a pm at the same time.  There's no real reason not to allow it.
Nah, the better solution (in my opinion) is what we have now with no day actions.  This way, all actions happen during the night / morning and you get a little more cross actions going on.  Basically, making it harder to auto-confirm either role or alignment.  There's still some of it, but just judging from the craziness that's been going on from my Assassin Bot and Zathras' blockings it's working to suppress confirmation without a significant amount of effort.

If the game is not over, and the survivor would help the Ext Op win, then we should lynch Leafsnail first, instead of risking a mislynch on the Op...  just a thought.
I wouldn't be opposed to lynching Leafsnail, if only to get him for dogging me for so long... >:( :) Doesn't seem like something that needs doing. Especially with his most recent response.

I don't get what you guys are talking about here regarding the public flavour... is it about Kamina's death, or Jim's role? As far as Jim's, I think a detective would explicitly get "no role" instead of "townsperson", as I read the rules, otherwise they'd get "townsperson" for survivors too; and Toaster did claim he asked Meph what a detective would see, and then forgot...
Kamina's death and the Assassin Bot from previous rounds. The day opening flavor said that Kamina's body was found at your house and that you might know something about it. Which basically confirmed that he tried to guard you and that (because we knew he was an Observant Guard) you would know who the Exterminator was.  It has more weight than you claiming the same thing because the mod won't lie. You could. Be mistaken, sure. But not lie. (except in a bastard mod, which at least this round Paranormal isn't)

I'm not gonna side with the operative.  He has no kill, and no sway over me.
But you'd say this no matter what you actually were planning... If you said you were going to work with the (still hypothetical) Exterminator Operative, then we'd lynch you just to be sure. Not a terribly solid plan. Especially when you still easily *be* the Operative...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 10, 2010, 05:58:12 pm »

The survivor plays with the side that's winning.

Pop quiz: With 5 players alive (including two confirmed townies and a roleblocker) and 1 scum who has no kill, who's winning?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 10, 2010, 06:04:37 pm »

Gee, I dunno, I think we need to really overanalyze and overthink things in this stage of the game.

I couldn't answer you because of how ahead of myself I'm getting.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #928 on: December 10, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »

New theory.  Can anyone poke any holes in it:

- Toaster has a Deadman's Bomb. When he dies he takes me (as the last to vote) and some random person with him. (3 players left, assuming that Leafsnail and an Operative survive, 2 are Alien)
- Toaster had an Assassin Bot left, which he gave to his Operative (could have been Dariush)
- The Operative uses the Assassin Bot to kill the remaining Townie.
- Leafsnail and the Operative win.

It depends the Survivor being able to be counted as Exterminator-aligned and on the Deadman Bomb's second target not hitting Leafsnail or the Operative, but it could work (so far as I can tell).  It's risky, but it's better than no chance at all.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #929 on: December 10, 2010, 06:07:32 pm »

Also:

Gee, I dunno, I think we need to really overanalyze and overthink things in this stage of the game.
Nothing else to do really, other than hope I'm wrong and wait for the game to end... :)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66