Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Win Moments You Had  (Read 6498 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Win Moments You Had
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:14:53 pm »

The exact opposite of facepalm moments. Place them here.

Like, shit! I don't have any.

Anyway, post yours here!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Win Moments You Had
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:18:08 pm »

Pulling a drawbridge shut as I had just spotted an ambush. A cat had JUST adopted a dwarf before it was launched through the fortifications above the bridge. When I say through, I mean partially through.

The blood and body parts splattered all over the new owner. It's kinda meek but it made me giggle.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:30:34 pm »

When I had a forest fire burn the tigerman caravan.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 07:36:34 pm »

I had a newly trained squad of steel-plated axe lords, and I set up a patrol route that goes around the perimeter of the map. I set the squad to patrol on the third month of every season, and on their first patrol they strung out around the border.

Just then not one, not two, not three, but four goblin ambush teams were discovered sneaking in from all different directions. The goblins were no match for the axe lords, and the invasion was handily thwarted, and the civilians were saved.

I love it when a good plan comes together. Goblinite for everyone!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:51:56 pm by AngleWyrm »

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:15:51 pm »

I caught two full goblin sieges in my drowning trap.  8)

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 08:34:47 pm »

when i dug a giant twisting labrynth, with a resident titan, some giant desert scorpions, lots of engravings and statues, a few rooms unsmoothed with muddy floors and small lakes.

I dropped my prisoners into there and watched them flee through the twisting corridors trying to evade all my nasties.

the entire labrynth was covered in blood and guts.

it was beautiful.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:44:25 pm »

In my personal Orc Fortress mod, I had two Orcs, one with a copper battle axe, another with a bronze pick, fend off an entire Elven siege all on their own. With no armor. And no skills.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:43:08 pm »

One of my speardwarves is now up to 3 forgotten beast kills.  One of them was a one-hit-kill as he broke off the lower body of a humanoid made of salt by whacking it with the blunt end of his spear, the other was a fight against an animate blob of steam in which he killed it by KICKING ITS BODY AWAY.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:55:30 pm »

(40d)I built an execution tower entirely out of soap. Except that the top floor two, with the cages and lots of gem windows. It looked like it would give anyone epilepsy just standing there. Then I filled the bottom 15 levels with lava.

Nothing worthy of such a tower dared approach the fortress. Even the nobles were cowed by it's awesomeness, and made reasonable demands requests.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 10:01:05 pm »

When my mason started to carve an immigrant being torn apart by skeletal carp, over and over and over again.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »

Oh! Grassfires burning hunters to death!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:18:39 pm »

My militia captian axedorf fending off 5 gobbos. With only talented axedorf skill :D . And during a seige, single-handedly killing a squad of pikegobs. And then took out his anger on the head gobbos mount when he got away. Needless to say, he now is treated better than my royalty. 8)
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 10:49:31 pm »

when I sent 10 dwarves to kill a forgotten beast with fire breath, and my wrestler that was given an axe killed the fb by himself with no injuries. He just cut it in half.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 01:04:03 am »

So, a Forgotten Beast shows up, made of filth and with deadly spittle, but he can't get through the walls surrounding my farms in the caverns. He wanders off, but I try to keep a close eye on the Units screen for his eventual reappearance. Two seasons pass, and I gradually check the unit screen less and less until I no longer check it at all. At this point, I've got a dozen dwarves running into the caverns in a bucket brigade to fill a bathhouse inside of my fortress with water from the underground lake there, with water coming into my walled-off region via a channel.

"Urist McBucketBrigade cancels Fill Pond: Interrupted by Forgotten Beast"

With the floodgate open, the FB had run up the channel and emerged in my farming area. I quickly mobilize my military, sending them down the main stairway as chaos breaks out, with the Beast chasing dwarves to and fro, spitting frozen globs of extract and generally making a nuisance of himself before chasing one of the dwarves up the main stairwell into the fort proper.

Where he is intercepted by a pair of hammerdwarves.

They begin pounding on him with their silver warhammers, blocking each spit attack with their shields until the steel-clad sworddwarves show up. Meanwhile, my marksdwarves, who have until now insisted on bludgeoning every single enemy, sit 2-3 flights up the stairway, raining bronze bolts of death on their enemy for the first time ever. Several minutes of frantic battling ensue, until finally, the first dwarf to intercept him cuts the beast in half. With his hammer.

Seeing extract and blood on the stairs, I immediately restrict all traffic to those tiles and designate constructed stairs to be built over them. My masons clean up the mess within minutes, while my now-inactive soldiers duck into the new bathhouse, all traces of the beast rinsed off in the water that other idle dwarves soon clean up and haulers dump the "filth" that was left behind in lieu of a corpse. Soon, no absolutely no traces of the creature remain. No casualties and, one season later, still no syndromes.

So yeah. I feel pretty awesome right now. Can't wait for my first DF2010 siege :)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 02:09:53 am »

Quite a few forts ago, while still learning basics (I hadn't worked out the use of the [shift] button back then), I was dealing with two forgotten beasts in the caverns, when a hydra turned up, destroyed a wall I had in the middle of nowhere, and headed to my fortress.

Everyone was inside the raised drawbridge except for a kitten.  Well, no loss there, I thought.

A chase that warranted Benny Hill music ensued, with a least three circuits of the entire map, then the hydra ran into my only remaining cage trap on it's first run past it.  Beautiful.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4