Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Win Moments You Had  (Read 6499 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Win Moments You Had
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 01:33:03 pm »

Win moment. Congrats.
Now try beating HFS without candy.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 01:42:33 pm »

I was testing out a theory on a new type of forgotten beast trap involving a small room with a retractable bridge blocking the entrance. One of the walls had carved fortifications so that my marks-dwarves could attack any trapped forgotten beasts without fear of reprisal. I chained a donkey up inside the room to entice the FBs inside, walled off the entrance to my main fortress, then pulled the lever.

Immediately, not one, not two but three FBs darted inside the room and started chewing on the donkey. I quickly pulled the lever and the retractable bridge extended, sealing off the room's entrance. The FBs were trapped. I threw together a small squad of marks-dwarves and sent them down to the adjacent room where they immediately started firing on the FBs with their iron bolts. It took a bit of time but the FBs eventually succumbed to the hail of bolts and my marks-dwarves went from dabbling to skilled by the time they were through. Like shooting fibs in a barrel!

KWSN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 02:36:04 pm »

Having a fortress start up, live through countless sieges, moods, and 40 years later, it's still running.  To top it off, on some exposed rocks outside my fort, I ordered one to be smoothed and engraved.  The result?  An engraving about the founding of the fort (this is a 40d fort mind you).
NI!

<shepheb> you can also erect a building, should they be called erections?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »

Having a fortress start up, live through countless sieges, moods, and 40 years later, it's still running.  To top it off, on some exposed rocks outside my fort, I ordered one to be smoothed and engraved.  The result?  An engraving about the founding of the fort (this is a 40d fort mind you).

Yeah, I still prefer 40d until I play enough successions to get the hang of the new military. It is sort of working for the moment. I may soon start playing DF2010 again. For now I shall continue working on my magma surrounded tomb.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »

My most recent win moment (which was more like a number of win moments in quick succession) was in my first fortress to pass the one hundred dorf population mark.  I had recently built a legendary dining room with a three tile wide view of a waterfall (one that worked by sending water from the first cavern down a series of up/down stairways straight into the magma sea -- a minor win moment of its own since it was also my first time actually uncovering and adamantine vein in-game, even if I wasn't actually anywhere near it) through three side-by-side gem windows.  On the level directly above that dining room I had begun work on a barracks for a squad composed entirely of fresh recruits from a recent immigrant wave, and I had included a gem window with a view of the same waterfall. 

Once the barracks were more or less complete, I had the the new squad begin training in there immediately. A very short time later, I got a message saying that Gogol, a towering, squirming and fidgeting clear glass quadruped FB with two short horns and "deadly spittle", had toppled a gem window. Quickly locating the cause of the alert, I found that Gogol had emerged into the barracks through the waterfall. The soldiers present quickly got to work on the intruder, one of them even becoming an elite wrestler before perishing. the killing blow being dealt by one Olin Metalinked who knocked its head off with her shield.  She was one of the new drafted immigrants and a competent speardwarf. And don't be deceived by where it says she received major injuries recently: she doesn't show a single scratch.

Pleased that the problem had been taken care of, I started cleaning up. Shortly, I received word that an elven caravan was en route to our trade depot. So, as had become the custom for me, I sent the entirety of my military (barely more than ten dwarves and less than optimally equipped because this particular fortress is using version .14 and we can't get any sieges) to the small above-ground building in which the depot was contained, intending to kill the elves, take anything useful for myself, and leave the rest of their useless crap in the depot to be traded to the humans along with the various bone crafts of Swampabbey's very own Lokum Canyonglens, a legendary bonecarver.

However, before the elves even reached us, I received another message about gem windows being toppled. This time, the culprit was one Ramsom Loslalgopet, a gigantic, skinless theropod with a shell and freezing saliva who tended to squirm and fidget (which is actually a pretty awesome mental image, with the exception of the squirming and fidgeting). It broke out into the dining room, though luckily there were only one or two dwarves there. Assigning the civilians to an old burrow I had set up in the depot, I ordered the military dwarves to go and kill Ramstom. However, they dawdled so long that I eventually decided to just station them in the room with the FB and hope for the best.

The first dwarf to arrive on the scene was the most prolific soldier in all of Swampabbey -- a competent axedwarf, dabbling shield user, adequate armor user, proficient fighter, adequate striker and dodger: Dumed Ociglor Dumatkin Kar, whose only companions were his two gigantic pet war grizzly bears, one male and one female.

With a notable kill list of twelve elves, he was my first dorf ever to receive a title. Note how his bio states that he is an enemy of the Golden Larks? That's the local elven civilization, which, if the engravings in my fort are anything to go by, were actually pretty badass, with some of the more common engravings depicting them fighting/killing humans and/or taming grizzly bears (of which I myself have a good many). Now Dumed managed to engage the FB in single combat for at least a few in game days. Finally, a fellow soldier, along with Dumed's pet grizzlies, came to Dumed's rescue. This dwarf was Oddom Tombkeepers,   a dabbling speardwarf and the recently appointed captain of the new squad, The Mechanical Bands. Together with Dumed, who kept the beast's attention and harried it until he finally collapsed from pain, unable to breathe, Oddom managed to kill Ramstom. But that wasn't the last win moment, oh no. In the aftermath of the battle, Dumed, to whom I had hastily assigned a free tomb on the assumption that he was soon to die, was dragged to the ramshackle hospital where my few minimally-trained medical dorfs somehow managed to stabilize him.

And finally, the last win moment of this whole debacle: the elves, who had just started packing up to leave, soon found themselves set upon by the somehow mostly intact Swampabbey militia. And one dwarf -- a competent striker and rusty swordsdwarf by the name of Cog Speargleamed, killed enough elves to earn himself a title: "The Everlasting Beak of Doctrine". A fitting title for someone who his basically an aspiring kung-fu master. Seriously, his profile says he is very slow to anger, is rarely discouraged, is assertive, isn't prone to flights of fancy, appreciates art and natural beauty, is not prone to openly expressing emotions, and is open-minded to new ideas while still admiring tradition. And his spiritual/mental stats are also the overall best I've seen in any dwarf so far: great intuition, a great affinity for language, a natural ability with music, willpower, a good memory, a good kinesthetic sense, a good spatial sense, and a sum of patience, so yeah, I'd say he's got the 'poet' half of 'warrior poet' down pat. But his physical stats are rather pitiful: his only positive is being tough. Aside from that, he's "clumsy, very quick to tire, and very slow to heal". It's like he really, really wants to be a master, but is very far from achieving that goal.

... So yeah, my rambling aside, it was pretty fun.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 10:59:39 pm »

In 0.31.12 finding out the fun way that steel axes are better than steel warhammers. By having the axedwarf shred two goblin ambushes. Some of them had whips. After about 10 seconds none of them had heads.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:59 am »

This picture sums it up (and it is under spoiler tags for a reason, though I seriously wonder if anyone here doesn't know what HFS is)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 01:13:56 am »

I like the bloodstain on the farming plot. Really give it that homey feel.

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 01:19:08 am »

I like the bloodstain on the farming plot. Really give it that homey feel.

That might've been from my Hunter, who was killed taking down three ampersands at once with his animal army.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
His burial was one of opulence; this fortress does not, indeed, have Microcline.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 04:24:35 am »

Early fortress, had just discovered that Elves are annoying and I was killing every elf that came onto the map (including a caravan and a diplomat that were responsible for said epiphany). A newborn kitten spots an Elven ambush near the edge of the map and they start to chase it towards my fortress. I quickly conscript all five woodcutters (to annoy Elves you see) into the military and tell them to attack.

The elves defy their beliefs and murder the kitten only to find some burly, untrained woodsdwarves bearing down on them and what followed blew my mind. The woodcutters one-shotted them by cutting of each Elf's lower body. It was awesome.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 08:45:20 am »

Well done.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 09:00:54 am »

Flattened a siege with a single ballista arrow, it must of hit 20 of them.  The siege indicator disappeared while the arrow was still only halfway through the mob.  It was like bowling for goblins.

That will teach those greenskins to bunch up.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 09:07:10 am »

Flattened a siege with a single ballista arrow, it must of hit 20 of them.  The siege indicator disappeared while the arrow was still only halfway through the mob.  It was like bowling for goblins.

That will teach those greenskins to bunch up.

Strike!
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:19 am »

My favorite DF moment was back in 40d, wit CivForge Unleashed and the Orc mod. The second Orc siege all came with shields bearing the image of my only artifact.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 09:24:41 am »

Bim Kirbim. Skilled speardwarf, but otherwise unremarkable. He never killed anything of notice. 4 stupid goblins, one pesky elk bird, and one rhesus macaque because he happened to stumble upon it. The only thing this dwarf has for him is that he's got a funny-sounding name.
Today, one Forgotten Beast is coming. I'm dispatching the army to take care of the ice quadruped.
Wait. What? A second Forgotten Beast is coming, and it's a huge alligator. Fortunately, it settles in a body of water and doesn't seem to want to come out. I am still worried about the whole situation, and order the marksdwarfs to get to a strategic location.
Then a third arrives minutes after. Mothram, gecko made of fire.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
My only solution is to send the whole army to get the ice monster first, then hope Mothram doesn't get too quickly over the entrance as I send the civilians back inside. Too late, the damned creature is very fast, and soon, I can see a cloud of smoke rushing. The ground is covered in 2/7 water, I can not see anything but I guess its moves. If it even reaches a single citizen and allows him/her to burst into flame, then the whole of Windslap may be done for.
Bim Kirbim, or Bim Mergedsling, is the first to arrive, way before everyone else. He spots the creature, and bravely, attacks it. Everything is engulfed in smoke, but I can guess the fight is epic. The log tells me my brave soldier does not fail in severing the monster's limbs one by one, but also that the smoke burst touches him permanently, and is probably boiling him alive. He can't get out, but he keeps waving his spear. Swish! Slash! He bleeds from all his orifices and much more, but he manages to sever one last limb before the creature stops moving. As the smoke dissipates into nothing, I see the remains of Mothram... and the boiling and bloody corpse of Bim Kirbim.

Did I say Bim Kirbim? I should have said Bim Kirbim Irolvucaroggez Keshan, or Bim Mergedsling the North Urn-Holes of Flame.
Armok bless you, soldier! Your tomb will be glorious. If I master magma before the fort crumbles... well, magma will be involved somehow.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4