Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621888 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1155 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:46 pm »

The throat is not considered the part of the body connecting the head to the torso, so targeting the throat will not result in decapitation. However, cutting the throat is a guaranteed way to put them down, and after slitting their throat you can safely retreat and wait for them to bleed out.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:28 pm »

Thank you kindly
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Duefaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:13 am »

If I replace [SWIMS_LEARNED] with [SWIMS_INNATE] in the human's raws, (so my companions can swim)
how will that affect allocating points to swimming in the character creation screen? Does it just ignore not a swimmer by allowing you to swim, but still giving the advantages of faster swim speed and ability to be stunned in the water in later skill levels?

Krysa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 02, 2013, 05:47:05 am »

Hello Adventures
After 4 attempts I made a demigod and survived first night. In morning I found cat(tamed) so I chopped this fluffy devil into pieces and few minutes later I found another group of tamed animals like horse, sheep but they charged at me. I have killed maybe 30 of these on my way and I came to village full of humans where everyone started chasing me when they saw me.  I don't know if it is because these people are hostile or hate me because I butchered those animals. I Found another village where nobody wants to talk and same story repeats.

Did killing tamed animals change my fame or something like that or is it normal and I will be able to complete quests in village where I appeared  ?

Happy chopping !

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 02, 2013, 06:20:59 am »

Hello Adventures
After 4 attempts I made a demigod and survived first night. In morning I found cat(tamed) so I chopped this fluffy devil into pieces and few minutes later I found another group of tamed animals like horse, sheep but they charged at me. I have killed maybe 30 of these on my way and I came to village full of humans where everyone started chasing me when they saw me.  I don't know if it is because these people are hostile or hate me because I butchered those animals. I Found another village where nobody wants to talk and same story repeats.

Did killing tamed animals change my fame or something like that or is it normal and I will be able to complete quests in village where I appeared  ?

Happy chopping !

Congrats, you've now become an enemy of the state.  I made the same mistake, but got overwhelmed by angry geese.  To a society, killing a tame creature is no different than killing a person.
Generally, you've only two options now, genocide or escaping to another region never to return, but there may also be a third option.
Retiring in a settlement will make you a member of that society, so pulling your char out of retirement might solve your problem...or not.
If you do die, make sure it's by a goose or chicken, so you can chuckle every time someone tells of how <insert name> was struck down by a goose/chicken.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 02, 2013, 07:16:07 am »

For the sake of conversation, just imagine walking into a small town or village you know and publically assaulting and killing their livestock. I would fully expect the locals to react strongly, possibly violently, to such behaviour.

DF is exaggerating it by (i think) treating every tame animal as a full member of the civilisation and transmitting friendliness/hostility through telepathy, so that if you kill Mother Smith's cat, the consequence won't be the local village demanding a full apology and compensation and giving you stern looks ever after, it'll be everyone in the most remote village of the realm (including children and geese) trying to kill you on sight.

As far as quests go, killing notable foes will give you positive reputation with every group they were enemies with. As far as i can tell, this will never remove the 'enemy' tag, however - you won't be able to fix your reputation and get normal interactions with that civ again. But if you kill very famous opponents, those might be listed as foes of other groups, too, giving you heroism credit with far-off civilisations.

Krysa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 02, 2013, 07:25:11 am »

Hello Adventures

Congrats, ...

Thank you Sir, this is exactly what I needed to know.
I'll put this save into my archive folder and start new adventure.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 02, 2013, 08:53:45 am »

I recently retired my adventurer (first one to survive long enough to do that with some credit to his name).

With him having severed motor nerves in both legs, thus forced to a life on the ground, I've decided to let him go out in a glory blaze (or, alternatively, gory haze).

To do this though, I need to un-retire him, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this.

Any pointers?
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Duefaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:08 am »

I need to un-retire him, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this.

Just select Adventure mode from the title screen like you were playing a world without a save, and when it comes to the civilization selection screen scroll all the way down and your adventurer will be there.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:05:08 am by Duefaku »

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 02, 2013, 10:55:23 am »

I need to un-retire him, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this.

Just select Adventure mode from the title screen like you were playing a world without a save, and when it comes to the civilization selection screen scroll all the way down and your adventurer will be there.

Ah, there we go! Thanks a lot, missed that!
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:29 pm »

DF is exaggerating it by (i think) treating every tame animal as a full member of the civilisation and transmitting friendliness/hostility through telepathy, so that if you kill Mother Smith's cat, the consequence won't be the local village demanding a full apology and compensation and giving you stern looks ever after, it'll be everyone in the most remote village of the realm (including children and geese) trying to kill you on sight.

Well not as big an exageration as one might think.   While certainly not equals, amimals were held responsible for their actions in some places, historically.  They would stamd trial even, and be executed.

Replace RL with establish DF lore and animals theoretically have a duty to kill you, per hive mind.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:18 am »

Is there any way of knowing when you've hit the stat cap? Say you start with Superior Strength. You hit Supernatural almost instantly, but it must increase after that. Is there a a way of getting these numbers?
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 03, 2013, 06:59:28 am »

The throat is not considered the part of the body connecting the head to the torso, so targeting the throat will not result in decapitation. However, cutting the throat is a guaranteed way to put them down, and after slitting their throat you can safely retreat and wait for them to bleed out.
Doesn't attacking the throat, ears, eyes etc. come with the risk of hitting the head instead?
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 03, 2013, 08:03:04 am »

Doesn't attacking the throat, ears, eyes etc. come with the risk of hitting the head instead?

I may be wrong, but I recall reading somewhere the throat is handled as an individual body part, and sorta broken.  I also don't recall ever having any decapitations due to throat strikes.  Ears, nose, cheeks, etc. are considered parts of the head, thus can result in decaps and cranial cave-ins.
If I could remember where I got this from, I'd link it.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 03, 2013, 08:37:27 am »

I may be wrong, but I recall reading somewhere the throat is handled as an individual body part, and sorta broken.  I also don't recall ever having any decapitations due to throat strikes.  Ears, nose, cheeks, etc. are considered parts of the head, thus can result in decaps and cranial cave-ins.
If I could remember where I got this from, I'd link it.
I tried, and it seems that attacking the throat of a Cyclops at least carries a substantial chance of missing the target and striking the head instead. So I'm guessing that the throat's connected to the head, but not to the upper body, meaning you can't decapitate something by hitting the throat, but you can decapitate a target by mistake through hitting the head. On the other hand, it wasn't a human or a dwarf, so I'll just have to try it again on those races as well. The raws likely have the answers, but that's just no fun to me.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:40:28 am by coldmonkey »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 327