Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621936 times)

Parori

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1980 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »

Why do I have create new group every time I claim a new site?

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »

I've spawned on dwarven hillocks, is there any specific kind of mound I can go for to get free armour?
I don't think so, but look around for like a cellar type thing. There's usually a hatch with a bunch of dwarves living in it, which when bogeymen were more bugged (I haven't been attacked inappropriately in awhile) that was the only safe place I could sleep at those sites. But they often had a lot of stuff lying around next to them.

Hillocks are evil places. Low fps, no goods, and bogeyman. This place got it all, we should might as well call it the wilderness.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »

I've spawned on dwarven hillocks, is there any specific kind of mound I can go for to get free armour?
I don't think so, but look around for like a cellar type thing. There's usually a hatch with a bunch of dwarves living in it, which when bogeymen were more bugged (I haven't been attacked inappropriately in awhile) that was the only safe place I could sleep at those sites. But they often had a lot of stuff lying around next to them.
Found some, unfortunately the few that have cabinets are filled with large items, and no metal.

Hillocks are evil places. Low fps, no goods, and bogeyman. This place got it all, we should might as well call it the wilderness.
Sad, but seems to be the truth.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »

What does exploding into gore exactly mean? My hand exploded into gore once and I thought I lost it, but after some time it just regenerated.

Huh. I thought exploding into gore was supposed to be Toady's version of "pulping", i.e. how you reduce undead to mush so they can't fight you anymore. The fact you regenerated from it would imply it's a bug. But I don't know how the injury of pulping is constructed, exactly.

Why do I have create new group every time I claim a new site?

I think it has to do with the way Toady structured group take overs. NPCs tend to form new organization to do everything: make war, claim sites, become bandits ect.....So the game applies that same logic to you, the human player, thinking that every time you do something new at a site, it's a new organization or group or off-shoot of something. I think it's a way for Today to keep straight who is doing what, by assigning each activity to a unique group. But from the player's side it generates a ton of groups when logically one group should be able to do a lot of things. It probably also has to do with site ownership. (My Legends Viewer is complaining a lot about sites with unclear ownership, so maybe the code gets confused when a single group owns multiple sites. Like, how does a lord of one group manage to be at two sites at once.....?) So I'm guessing Toady's solution was to make every site claim go to a new group, elect a new leader....so historical figures don't end up bein lord of 4 castles and the code goes crazy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: July 17, 2014, 02:37:04 pm »

I think it has to do with the way Toady structured group take overs. NPCs tend to form new organization to do everything: make war, claim sites, become bandits ect.....So the game applies that same logic to you, the human player, thinking that every time you do something new at a site, it's a new organization or group or off-shoot of something. I think it's a way for Today to keep straight who is doing what, by assigning each activity to a unique group. But from the player's side it generates a ton of groups when logically one group should be able to do a lot of things. It probably also has to do with site ownership. (My Legends Viewer is complaining a lot about sites with unclear ownership, so maybe the code gets confused when a single group owns multiple sites. Like, how does a lord of one group manage to be at two sites at once.....?) So I'm guessing Toady's solution was to make every site claim go to a new group, elect a new leader....so historical figures don't end up bein lord of 4 castles and the code goes crazy.
I think that makes sense - there are civs and then there are groups/entities that belong to a civ - each group/entity rules a different site, and a civ is all those groups combined. The thing is, players can't create new civs but only new groups that don't belong to a civ so they are unrelated to eachother. I think a solution to that would be to give players the ability to create civs.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

PTtheFlea

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 17, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »

I can't seem to figure out how to do the equivalent of "report successes" from earlier versions. If I run to my lord and boast about my violent acts, nobody bats an eyelash. If I mention the rumor/incident specifically, they only say that it was inevitable. When asked about the entity in question they mention that it's dead, so they obviously know about it.

Note: None of these have been assignments given specifically to me from the lords themselves (as they always say 'You may enjoy these times of peace, but stay vigilant.' when asked for an assignment) but are instead adventures that I go to based on rumors.

So, the question: What's the equivalent of reporting successes that will see a rise in my reputation and fame and willing harlots?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 17, 2014, 03:09:27 pm »

Go tell someone, or better yet shout in a populated area, and wait for the news to spread.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 17, 2014, 03:30:34 pm »

What does exploding into gore exactly mean? My hand exploded into gore once and I thought I lost it, but after some time it just regenerated.

Huh. I thought exploding into gore was supposed to be Toady's version of "pulping", i.e. how you reduce undead to mush so they can't fight you anymore. The fact you regenerated from it would imply it's a bug. But I don't know how the injury of pulping is constructed, exactly.

It's a bug in adventure mode. Fast travel and sleep heal all wounds, both yours and others.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 17, 2014, 04:33:02 pm »

Why are silver weapons so common?
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 17, 2014, 04:37:41 pm »

Silver shouldnt be any more common than any other metal, but outside of steel I think it is the most valuable world-gen available weapons-grade metal.  So it may be that the civs want valuable weapons.  Do note that a silver slashing weapon should be better than copper or bronze (i think) and the hammers and maces are top-notch.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 17, 2014, 05:10:16 pm »

Silver shouldnt be any more common than any other metal, but outside of steel I think it is the most valuable world-gen available weapons-grade metal.  So it may be that the civs want valuable weapons.  Do note that a silver slashing weapon should be better than copper or bronze (i think) and the hammers and maces are top-notch.
I think silver is the worst material for edged weapons but it's very good for blunt ones.
From what I know it's like this:
Edged Weapons
  • Best: Adamantine
  • Very good: Steel
  • Good: Iron
  • Fair: Bronze
  • Bad: Copper
  • Worst: Silver
Blunt Weapons
  • Best: Silver/Steel
  • Good: Bronze, Copper, Iron
  • Worst: Adamantine
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:08 pm »

I think that makes sense - there are civs and then there are groups/entities that belong to a civ - each group/entity rules a different site, and a civ is all those groups combined. The thing is, players can't create new civs but only new groups that don't belong to a civ so they are unrelated to eachother. I think a solution to that would be to give players the ability to create civs.

Except it doesn't heal permanent wounds, and I'd think something being turned to mush (or cloven asunder) would be fairly permanent.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 18, 2014, 02:58:11 am »

Except it doesn't heal permanent wounds, and I'd think something being turned to mush (or cloven asunder) would be fairly permanent.

I think you quoted the wrong person.
Pulping is currently handled in a very strange way. I mean, you can crush a neck totally and besides some pain the enemy won't care. I think it'll get worked on sooner or later, so for now, just bare with.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

HenAi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 18, 2014, 10:08:24 am »

It's a bug in adventure mode. Fast travel and sleep heal all wounds, both yours and others.

That's there because there no medical system in adventure mode yet.
Hence why anything that hasn't been completely severed can heal back.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 18, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

I think silver is the worst material for edged weapons but it's very good for blunt ones.
From what I know it's like this:
Edged Weapons
  • Best: Adamantine
  • Very good: Steel
  • Good: Iron
  • Fair: Bronze
Iron and bronze are equal iirc
  • Bad: Copper
  • Worst: Silver
Blunt Weapons
  • Best: Silver/Steel
I'm pretty sure steel isn't as good as silver