Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622064 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2370 on: October 10, 2014, 11:20:43 am »

Also, I didn't notice until after I had accidentially threw a rock at him and my hammergob companion killed him, but apparently my former adventurer had gotten higher quality iron armor, and that was in the two week (and some days) interval between my retiring that one and starting a new one.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: October 10, 2014, 11:42:14 am »

Also, I didn't notice until after I had accidentially threw a rock at him and my hammergob companion killed him, but apparently my former adventurer had gotten higher quality iron armor, and that was in the two week (and some days) interval between my retiring that one and starting a new one.
I wonder if he actually stole that armor from someone, or if the game just decided that due to his eliteness he should have higher quality armor.  I know that elite goblins etc that ambush you tend to have masterwork items (more often than not masterwork socks and mittens, but still).  If you create a dwarf adventurer (so that his civ has steel), train him to legendary, then retire for a while will he get masterwork steel armor?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:34 am »

I wonder if he actually stole that armor from someone, or if the game just decided that due to his eliteness he should have higher quality armor.  I know that elite goblins etc that ambush you tend to have masterwork items (more often than not masterwork socks and mittens, but still).  If you create a dwarf adventurer (so that his civ has steel), train him to legendary, then retire for a while will he get masterwork steel armor?

He had mostly iron armor when I played that adventurer because their shops simply don't sell steel armor and the most that most NPC adventurers and fort soldiers will have is a helm/cap and a breastplate or chainmail shirt, maybe both the chestplate and chainmail.

He ended up getting mostly superior quality iron armor and an exceptional quality shield, didn't upgrade his steel battleaxe for a better quality one though. Plus an assortment of wolf and dingo jewelry.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: October 10, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »

He had mostly iron armor when I played that adventurer because their shops simply don't sell steel armor and the most that most NPC adventurers and fort soldiers will have is a helm/cap and a breastplate or chainmail shirt, maybe both the chestplate and chainmail.

He ended up getting mostly superior quality iron armor and an exceptional quality shield, didn't upgrade his steel battleaxe for a better quality one though. Plus an assortment of wolf and dingo jewelry.
So what you're saying is it upgraded the quality of the armor he had, but did not change the items or materials?  This sounds very interesting, and worth testing.  Do you have a reliable way of finding an adventurer after he is retired or did you just hunt around a lot?  The simplest way I can think of to find a retired adventurer would be to unretire and play as him again - is this what you did?

If it's really just randomly upgrading the quality of items, that sounds like it might be a bug.  But I don't think we can currently rule out that he killed some guys and took their superior armor to replace what he already had (based in the jewelry he must have at least killed some wolves and dingos).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: October 10, 2014, 12:41:15 pm »

I don't remember if he had a steel breastplate and a steel helm or if it was iron, but if he did, then he replaced the base quality ones with superior quality iron.

That ex-adventurer didn't really kill a whole lot, mainly lots of goblins while comitting regicide and royal family-icide while trying to change the dwarven king/queen back to a dwarf from goblin. He stayed exactly where I left him, as did a previous adventurer that I left in place.

I heard that someone retired their adventurer in a goblin tower and that adventurer ended up becoming the war leader of the armies conquering the dwarven civ.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: October 10, 2014, 04:56:37 pm »

I was wondering about adventurers acquiring necromancy powers, is it possible if you retire one and play with other characters for months (or retire/unretire them to move the world update for several months) will he do what necromancers do, i mean building a tower ?

Or are player characters "frozen" in time and never doing anything during world updates ?

No idea on building a tower, but in a previous game where I had one adventurer retired for months while another did stuff, but the retired adventurer didn't do anything.

Someone did mention in the 'what's going on in your adventurer' that a retired adventurer had obtained a knife and a pouch of coins, but I think that was after five years or something.

When I retire adventurers they always start accumulating hair bracelets, bone earrings, any cheap wearable crafts.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: October 10, 2014, 05:38:39 pm »

Has anybody had problems with your zombies just up and stop fighting? I'm running into this intermittently while attacking a dark tower.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: October 10, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »

Whenever I retire someone, his/her items improve in quality, but the material doesn't change. It'd be nice if it did, especially to go to steel from iron.

Also I believe, based on who/what you slew, just as with NPCs you might inspect, various types of jewelry will appear. An NPC that has killed wolves will have a wolf material piece of jewelry. To confirm on your own character just roll one and have him or her kill only 3 different things then retire. I'd guess that jewelry will be made of one of those things. The trophy system is a bit disturbing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: October 10, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

That adventurer didn't get a better quality steel axe though for some reason, while he got a better quality steel shield.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: October 10, 2014, 07:01:41 pm »

I would imagine that just worldgen.  As being part of a civ, they embrace their ethics and resources.  If something is befitting them and is of a better quality theyll use it?  Also trophies.  I imagine its randomized?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: October 12, 2014, 05:59:38 pm »

How the heck do I tell my companions to stop trying to kill someone? Every time I tell them to yield (no other way that I can see to tell them stop attacking), they just say 'you first coward!'

It would be great if I could beat someone up without my companions going and killing the target.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: October 13, 2014, 04:23:08 am »

I don't think you can.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: October 13, 2014, 06:08:45 am »

Nope i think they  only  do a strength-of-forces check.  you could try a world where Ethic:attack_enemy:only if sanctioned?  but look how dwarves  follow that for neutrals (actually, I think they do fairly well).
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:03 pm »

When I claim the place for my new faction, how far effect goes? Should I go door to door? Am I a ruler of entire hamlet now?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: October 14, 2014, 01:45:51 pm »

I go through a few houses and the meadhall, it'll spread from there.

Retiring while having more than one site (or even a site) claimed seems wonky because I claimed two hamlets, but on unretire, I moved to the first one I claimed and somehow lost leadership position of the two groups and became a former member of the second one. I suspect that I got overthrown by an usurper for the second hamlet though.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 327