Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622029 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3675 on: April 24, 2016, 11:31:40 am »

I have no idea where the LNP downloads and stuff even are, since I just roll my own mod and dfhack, I checked real quick but couldn't find anything.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: April 24, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »

I am like 90% certain there's a LNP for 0.42.06. But I'm like Max and only run DFhack and my own stuff.

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: April 24, 2016, 01:55:53 pm »

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309

For those interested.  And yeah I'm literally a lazy newb at this game so it's perfect for me :P

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: April 25, 2016, 06:41:02 am »

Is there a Max level for things like archery or throwing? Is it possible for me to get to such a high level I can kill with sharp rocks?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: April 25, 2016, 10:37:05 am »

Yes, it's my level though, you aren't allowed up here.

...no not really, and yes you can kill with any thrown object through a combination of luck and high enough throwing skill.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:35 am »

Ah ok, so I've read that at some point the levels stop having effect on damage? Is that true or can I just keep getting higher and higher? I've managed to kill a cat by throwing a sharp rock... How bout a human?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »

I'd assumed that throwing and archery and such had more to do with accuracy, not flat damage boosts. :V

I've managed bone-breaking, incapacitating hits on nearly any throwing or archery skill, but I'm uncertain what factors go into how solid that hit is. There could be a ranged equivalent to melee attacks on bodyparts having different degrees of ease-to-hit and solidness, but projectile weight, projectile material, fragility of bodypart hit, and intervening armor might all be more important.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:06 pm »

Dwarven Research: A Study of the 'Archer' and 'Marksdwarf' Skills was Zivilin's study done awhile back. It may relate to throwing if throwing can be a stand-in for the crossbow/bow skill.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: April 25, 2016, 02:51:35 pm »

This does not appear to give me much insight in terms of potential affects of skill on damage. It only seems to imply how skills affect final victory in terms of group-versus group combat. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: April 25, 2016, 04:52:37 pm »

Yeah, that's what I'm mainly interested in is how and even if I can increase the amount of damage throwing does

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:17 pm »

I linked Zivilin's post as a source: skill doesn't make much of a difference in regard to the damage of a hit. In throwing (or bows) what you hit is random.

So a bit of an expanded version of what Random_Dragon was getting at.

First the stuff we can control. Throwing damage is about ammo.

You want ammo that only has one attack (arrows, bolts, picks, war hammer, etc) rather than several (spear, short sword, battle axe and whatnot).

You'd consider the ammo's attack type (blunt or edge) in regard to its material type. A gold coin (blunt) may be better than a copper coin because it's heavier. Dense and heavy material types are better for blunt. If you've got bolts/arrows, the attack type is edge, so steel or bronze will be much better than copper or silver.

In cases where it's possible to view the raws, you'd want small contact areas for stabbing type edge attacks (arrows/bolts) or for blunt attacks. Arrows and bolts have a contact area of 5 which is overall the best given the conditions we want met. If your edge attack type is slashing, then you'd want the largest contact area with the greatest penetration (the large, serrated disc or the giant axe blade for example).

Now there are the factors we interact with but cannot control. The target's body material (could be meat, could be inorganic) and the presence or lack of clothing/armor. If you can ensure that your ammo will work effectively versus their clothing, armor, body material, then you improve the damage you might cause.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: April 26, 2016, 05:28:47 am »

Alright, sounds good to me. Just gotta find some sharper objects and I'll be good then

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: April 26, 2016, 08:24:05 am »

Is there anything that I can add to my arrows to give more damage?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: April 26, 2016, 10:14:29 am »

Also should test how well throwing ballista bolts goes. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: April 26, 2016, 10:27:47 am »

Every quest I've been given has resulted in being "unreachable from here" with a detailed description.  I always hits a big body of ocean water and can't seem to progress much farther than that, I had absolutely no other luck encountering any other foes to fight, how can I reach those sections?  Is it even possible?  Are the citizens under a looming threat that may never come to be?
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 327