Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 620791 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4320 on: May 06, 2017, 12:26:08 pm »

So the moral is "Never give your companions anything you don't want them to fight with".

Anyway a night creature beat him to a pulp because of this bug, and I got all his stuff plus my carvings back. I will miss him. In fact, I'm going to name our hunting lodge after him.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: May 06, 2017, 06:25:49 pm »

Regarding the age of death stuff:

Naturally dfhack is required to get a world to the year 1,111,111, but since it made it through the first part of world-gen while playable fort mode it remained that way even when I took an outsider and exterminated the last few critters to push it into the age of death.
thanks, i guess you just missed my edit but my adventurer died cause i got burning blood on them how do i wash them off the next time it happens when im not near pools of water, also what happens when your characters fat is gone?

Pray for rain basically, can't do much with a waterskin, though if you empty it out and go prone you can get covered in water. No real idea if it helps.
Don't try this with booze, for the record, it won't help unless you count "smelling like a sauteed pork roast" helping.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:57:56 pm by Max™ »

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: May 07, 2017, 12:41:43 am »

If I set up a fireplace and chimney (Basically a 3x3 tower with no flooring at the top and one 1x1 wall knocked out at the bottom, probably built over bare stone to prevent plant growth) for having an indoor campfire, am I going to have issues with animal/ambush/monster spawning?

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: May 07, 2017, 06:13:56 am »

Naturally dfhack is required to get a world to the year 1,111,111, but since it made it through the first part of world-gen while playable fort mode it remained that way even when I took an outsider and exterminated the last few critters to push it into the age of death.

Awesome, good to know! How the heck do you dfhack the world into such an age? I've never seen this before.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: May 07, 2017, 06:56:55 am »

If I set up a fireplace and chimney (Basically a 3x3 tower with no flooring at the top and one 1x1 wall knocked out at the bottom, probably built over bare stone to prevent plant growth) for having an indoor campfire, am I going to have issues with animal/ambush/monster spawning?

At worst, birds may enter your structure. You can avoid this by placing a grate over the opening. This way you still get to vent the smoke from the campfire and you secure points of entry.

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: May 07, 2017, 11:04:30 am »

how long does it take for the short term effects of venom to take effect?

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: May 07, 2017, 11:22:17 am »

At worst, birds may enter your structure. You can avoid this by placing a grate over the opening. This way you still get to vent the smoke from the campfire and you secure points of entry.

A floor grate wouldn't cause the tile to be classified as 'inside'?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: May 07, 2017, 02:08:18 pm »

how long does it take for the short term effects of venom to take effect?
That depends entirely on what poison it is.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: May 08, 2017, 07:49:12 am »

Think it's still an outside tile as the grate allows snow to pass through IIRC.

However, indoor/outdoor doesn't matter in Adv Mode since you can set campfires on any soil tile, or any vegetation tile (that doesn't contain a sapling or a slope). For some reason you are able to set campfires on floor tiles in fortresses. Think this also applies to mountain halls, but not mead halls.

EDIT: One way to check the outdoor/indoor nature of a tile is to have a character (that values nature) talk about surroundings. If they say "It's good to be outdoors" (which is the case for some hillock mounds), you know you're outside.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:52:19 am by peasant cretin »

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: May 08, 2017, 08:16:21 am »

Anyone noticed you can get unlimited free water or booze by (d)ropping it out on the ground then (I)nteracting with a container and filling it from the puddle? Dropping one unit of it on the ground will fill any number of 100 unit bags.

Good exploity bug for keeping a neverending supply of booze on hand.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:26 am »

Anyone noticed you can get unlimited free water or booze by (d)ropping it out on the ground then (I)nteracting with a container and filling it from the puddle? Dropping one unit of it on the ground will fill any number of 100 unit bags.

Good exploity bug for keeping a neverending supply of booze on hand.

Yep, and it's basically an essential survival tool bug. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: May 08, 2017, 01:00:44 pm »

Think it's still an outside tile as the grate allows snow to pass through IIRC.

However, indoor/outdoor doesn't matter in Adv Mode since you can set campfires on any soil tile, or any vegetation tile (that doesn't contain a sapling or a slope). For some reason you are able to set campfires on floor tiles in fortresses. Think this also applies to mountain halls, but not mead halls.

EDIT: One way to check the outdoor/indoor nature of a tile is to have a character (that values nature) talk about surroundings. If they say "It's good to be outdoors" (which is the case for some hillock mounds), you know you're outside.

AH, I think I see what's going on. DF only checks to see if the floor tile is natural vs constructed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: May 08, 2017, 08:58:49 pm »

Awesome, good to know! How the heck do you dfhack the world into such an age? I've never seen this before.
During world-gen type gui/gm-editor df.global.world.worldgen then go to the bottom entry and scroll down to end year, set it to like a million and wait for everything to die.

Can't have too many immortal creatures though, or else you gotta end them with dfhack which is a lot more involved than I'm up for explaining here.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #4333 on: May 10, 2017, 06:10:20 am »

Why is it harder to see outside at night that deep in a dark underground tunnel at night?
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username
« Reply #4334 on: May 10, 2017, 08:40:26 pm »

Is there a resource on what the words next to the needs/desires in my adventurer's sheet mean? I understand them when it says something like "intense need" but what the heck does "unfettered" or "undistracted" mean in this context?
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 327