Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1831757 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2011, 01:57:15 am »

aww man my profile pic got 404'd. luckly i saved the pic and reupload it to photobucket. its a shame, i tried finding the author on DeviantArt but i guess he got deleted.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2011, 11:42:41 pm »

I think coyotes are outside my house.

The yipping...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »

Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2011, 12:53:15 pm »

For a second I thought of clowns today.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2011, 01:21:26 pm »

I wouldn't say terrifying, but pretty crazy to watch in action. What is terrifying is the thought of seeing a bunch of people watching TV like this.

You'll see what I mean when you watch the video:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/15/man-discovers-glasses-free-3d-tech-in-the-blink-of-an-eye-video/

Interesting concept, interesting execution, freaky to watch. Make my eyes hurt looking at it.

EDIT:
Just for the hell of it, I can mimic what those things can do, sans them (naturally, albeit at a rather low frequency, but should e enough to experiment with). I now need a 3D video/media to test it out on to see if I can pull it off. I can just say that like other 3D glasses, doing that method will slightly darken your overall vision (while applying it), but the concept looks like it can work.

EDIT EDIT:
One idea immediately came to mind. I recall the Sega Master System used a similar 3D system with alternate blinking (the 3D glasses used that method with LCDs). I can try to play some Maze Hunter 3-D, Blade Eagle 3-D, or Missile Defense 3-D, and see if alternate blinking really fast can mimic the 3D effect implied in this video. Worth a shot. The refresh rate is the only challenge to mimic.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
No luck. I can't asynchronously blink fast enough. Even at 60 FPS (emulation speed) and 60Hz monitor speed. Not to forget, like I mentioned before, synchronizing to the frames alone is a challenge. Only once or twice for half a second did I get a solid image, one version per-eye. Not enough to see enough of a difference however (even pseudo-3D).

At least when trying out the method sans device, at least I know that the guy demonstrating it was comfortable. Didn't hurt, just hard to accomplish without rapid pulses to the eyelids.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:50:49 pm by Itnetlolor »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2011, 01:30:31 pm »

I nearly died driving today. I'm a beginner driver, and was relying on my mom to back up my decisions. She tells me to make a right hand turn. She didn't see the truck coming that ripped off my door. I feel like I'm swimming right now, like the density of the air has changed and it is an exertion to just move. I really wanted to throw up earlier but I think I'm past that. Now it is just shellshock and a sort of detachment.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »

I nearly died driving today. I'm a beginner driver, and was relying on my mom to back up my decisions. She tells me to make a right hand turn. She didn't see the truck coming that ripped off my door. I feel like I'm swimming right now, like the density of the air has changed and it is an exertion to just move. I really wanted to throw up earlier but I think I'm past that. Now it is just shellshock and a sort of detachment.

Jeez.  I'm glad you're okay.  :/
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »

Had a similar experience on the motorway. Somebody decided to get in front of me and almost crashed into me :/

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:33 pm »

Also, sonerohi?  If your car got nailed that hard, even if it just feels like you got really shaken up, it's a good idea to see a doctor before too long.  Not because there's anything wrong, but just so he can make sure of it.

The yipping...
Shouldn't that be in the 'happy' thread?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »

I see what you did there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2011, 06:34:09 pm »

I wouldn't say terrifying, but pretty crazy to watch in action. What is terrifying is the thought of seeing a bunch of people watching TV like this.

You'll see what I mean when you watch the video:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/15/man-discovers-glasses-free-3d-tech-in-the-blink-of-an-eye-video/

Interesting concept, interesting execution, freaky to watch. Make my eyes hurt looking at it.

EDIT:
Just for the hell of it, I can mimic what those things can do, sans them (naturally, albeit at a rather low frequency, but should e enough to experiment with). I now need a 3D video/media to test it out on to see if I can pull it off. I can just say that like other 3D glasses, doing that method will slightly darken your overall vision (while applying it), but the concept looks like it can work.

EDIT EDIT:
One idea immediately came to mind. I recall the Sega Master System used a similar 3D system with alternate blinking (the 3D glasses used that method with LCDs). I can try to play some Maze Hunter 3-D, Blade Eagle 3-D, or Missile Defense 3-D, and see if alternate blinking really fast can mimic the 3D effect implied in this video. Worth a shot. The refresh rate is the only challenge to mimic.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
No luck. I can't asynchronously blink fast enough. Even at 60 FPS (emulation speed) and 60Hz monitor speed. Not to forget, like I mentioned before, synchronizing to the frames alone is a challenge. Only once or twice for half a second did I get a solid image, one version per-eye. Not enough to see enough of a difference however (even pseudo-3D).

At least when trying out the method sans device, at least I know that the guy demonstrating it was comfortable. Didn't hurt, just hard to accomplish without rapid pulses to the eyelids.

Wait, that video wasn't a joke?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »

The yipping...
Shouldn't that be in the 'happy' thread?
[/quote]

I don't see why it would be. It's not a particularly joyous occasion.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1420