Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.  (Read 46299 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 01:00:58 pm »

Are you a proffessional strawman builder?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 01:03:27 pm »

Dude, I quoted your own statement.  Try again.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2011, 01:05:17 pm »

My statement is that people who get randomly ganked suck at the game, because some rather simple safety precautions make it virtually impossible to die in this way. Your interpretation is that people who disagree with me suck. How is that not a strawman?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2011, 01:11:49 pm »

Let's review:

Quote from: DJ
FYI, permadeath and player-enforced law and order work nearly perfectly in H&H.

Quote from: mithra
I love that you start your opinion with "FYI".  A large number of people disagree with you.

Well those people must suck at the game, because I've only been killed once in nearly two years of constant playing. And even that death was mostly my own stupidity (took armour off and went AFK). Basically, these people are building a surface fort without any walls, traps or soldiers, and then complaining that goblin sieges are OP.

Why, yes, those people who don't agree with you must be bad at the game.  You have such a way with argument.  It's astonishing, really.

Dude, I quoted your own statement.  Try again.

My statement is that people who get randomly ganked suck at the game, because some rather simple safety precautions make it virtually impossible to die in this way. Your interpretation is that people who disagree with me suck. How is that not a strawman?

So, clearly, your argument is that people who don't agree with you are bad at the game.  It's fine if you now realize that isn't a great argument, but saying "it's a strawman argument" to deflect from that really is kinda lame.

Okay, done with this.  Feel free to have the last word.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2011, 01:13:30 pm »

Uhm, OK. Can you tell me about the cubic nature of space-time again?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2011, 01:43:40 pm »

Flaws in HnH that should be changed for the Salem client.

1) java client hacks.
2) multi-account macro bottting.
3) Death = losing kin contact list. I'm a trader and depend on random trade encounters and contacts.
4) Barter and Market kiosk system sucks.
5) no skill caps

Salem just needs more options than HnH offers, some diversity in character builds and GM tools to stop people from macro'ing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:32:59 pm by Trappin »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2011, 02:34:35 pm »

(worthless comment removed)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:29:13 pm by Toady One »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2011, 03:59:07 pm »

Only beef I have with this is that you can die when offline.

Fuck that, sometimes I can't stay online until it goes away, thats a dick move
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2011, 04:46:36 pm »

Personally, I'm in favor of the permadeath system, for various reasons-DJ pretty much said it all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2011, 05:36:18 pm »

Salem wasn't about Christians burning Pagans for their beliefs.

It was about Christians burning other Christians either out of insane paranoid fervor or greed (guess what happened to the stuff the 'witches' owned after they died)

Specifically what happened was the people of Salem, due to wet weather, were poisoned from the very food they ate and started to have side-effects (Convulsing for example) and in a panic started to blame almost everyone around them and for the most part it was people in Salem and thus Christians were sentenced.

There wasn't any burning in Salem either.

Honestly the amount of times people use religion as the cause of an event is staggering compared to how often it wasn't the true cause or sometimes even related.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »

quick little pre-alpha video loftar posted: http://www.seatribe.se/salem/test.ogv
Don't know how long it will last since its actually on their website.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 05:02:35 am »

quick little pre-alpha video loftar posted: http://www.seatribe.se/salem/test.ogv
Don't know how long it will last since its actually on their website.

Wow, they really ARE using the H&H engine (or at least it's floor tiles) but overlaying 3D graphics on it.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2011, 10:18:33 am »

Salem wasn't about Christians burning Pagans for their beliefs.

It was about Christians burning other Christians either out of insane paranoid fervor or greed (guess what happened to the stuff the 'witches' owned after they died)

Specifically what happened was the people of Salem, due to wet weather, were poisoned from the very food they ate and started to have side-effects (Convulsing for example) and in a panic started to blame almost everyone around them and for the most part it was people in Salem and thus Christians were sentenced.

There wasn't any burning in Salem either.

Honestly the amount of times people use religion as the cause of an event is staggering compared to how often it wasn't the true cause or sometimes even related.

Only 19 died in Salem, not too bad and you are right, none were burned. The burns happend all across England though during those times and for the same crime "witchcraft". However, to say it was not about religion I cannot agree with. Witchcraft is a religion and it was illegal based upon puritanical law, which stems from religion. It was all about religion, to be sure.
I got nothing

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 10:45:15 am »

Except most of the people burned for witchcraft were Christian, not pagan. That's the point th'folks you quoted were trying to make. There were certainly more and more important factors in the murders executions than religion.

Also, referring to "witchcraft" as a religion is pretty misleading, especially during that time period. Non-church sanctioned rituals and other practices weren't exactly something you could group together as a single unified thing -- and for quite a large amount of such things, it's arguable whether there's a religious aspect to them at all. Spiritual, ascetic, or medical aspects, maybe, but those are different things.

Though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if puritanical law just grouped th'lot of such things together and said, "Kill." That's pretty common when dealing with non-believers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:17 am »

well, I certainly don't want to get into any sort of debate about the definition of religion so we can leave it at that, please. Let anyone interested decide for themselves.

ON topic: This game looks like carp. Same carp that is H&H. Clickity click click (CLICK!) grind fest causing carpel tunnel syndrome in thousand of people. I just cant stand the whole inventory management "mini-game". Who the hell wants to do that?

The graphics are hideous, at least H&H stayed 2d which has some charm to it. In 3d, it just looks amateur. Yeah I know, placeholder alpha graphics. I just don't have much faith in these dudes.

Oh and that dev interview, the Seatribe guys are kinda creepy, am I right?

Am I here to slam them? A bit I guess. I said my piece and now I wont hang around this thread and bash without constructive criticism.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21