Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.  (Read 46293 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2011, 02:39:27 pm »

quick little pre-alpha video loftar posted: http://www.seatribe.se/salem/test.ogv
Don't know how long it will last since its actually on their website.

Bottom Right Corner. Is that...Is that the Troll Guy?
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2011, 03:58:59 pm »

quick little pre-alpha video loftar posted: http://www.seatribe.se/salem/test.ogv
Don't know how long it will last since its actually on their website.

Bottom Right Corner. Is that...Is that the Troll Guy?

Holy shit it is!
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »

Just one thing to add to the list of how perma-death can work: just think why it works in real life. I mean, why are we inclined to work together in real life rather than go on random murderous rampages? It's because there is more to gain from working together than killing each other. Often our survival depends on cooperating with other people. If the game manages to simulate that fact, and rewards the players generously for working together, then you have all the foundation for a real in-game society.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 01:40:36 pm »

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/296121854 2 hour gameplay video..

Sadly it really just looks like they tacked 3D onto H&H, with really bad graphics, and then threw Witches at it.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/296121854 2 hour gameplay video..

Sadly it really just looks like they tacked 3D onto H&H, with really bad graphics, and then threw Witches at it.

I'm totally cool with that... am I the only one totally cool with that? :/

Seems like they just wanted to make an updated H&H, starting from what made H&H such a great game - building from that point onwards is how we'll see Salem grow into its own unique experience and be less of a straight clone of its predecessor.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2011, 02:01:14 pm »

Just one thing to add to the list of how perma-death can work: just think why it works in real life. I mean, why are we inclined to work together in real life rather than go on random murderous rampages? It's because there is more to gain from working together than killing each other. Often our survival depends on cooperating with other people. If the game manages to simulate that fact, and rewards the players generously for working together, then you have all the foundation for a real in-game society.

This is only half the equation - yes, people tend to work together in real life because you can accomplish more then working alone.

However, the other half is there's a real consequences for being a dick IRL - not so much in a video game you're not taking seriously. What does the griefer have to lose? nothing. He does not care about his character, or his town, or the time anyone spent doing anything - all he cares about is ruining your day. So what if you catch him and lynch him (or whatever) after he kills 5 people and burns half your town down? He does not care he died, he will just make a new guy and do it again till he gets bored.

F2P means they can't even make real consequences.  Ban the guy? oh well, he made a new account.

Sure, most people will work together with just the first half - but there's always the troublesome minority that needs the threat of punishment hanging over them in order to behave, and there's enough of them out there to make things miserable for everyone else if it does not exist.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »

This is only half the equation - yes, people tend to work together in real life because you can accomplish more then working alone.

However, the other half is there's a real consequences for being a dick IRL - not so much in a video game you're not taking seriously. What does the griefer have to lose? nothing. He does not care about his character, or his town, or the time anyone spent doing anything - all he cares about is ruining your day. So what if you catch him and lynch him (or whatever) after he kills 5 people and burns half your town down? He does not care he died, he will just make a new guy and do it again till he gets bored.

F2P means they can't even make real consequences.  Ban the guy? oh well, he made a new account.

Sure, most people will work together with just the first half - but there's always the troublesome minority that needs the threat of punishment hanging over them in order to behave, and there's enough of them out there to make things miserable for everyone else if it does not exist.

First off, there are some people who want to "go out with a bang". They say, "I don't want to play any more so I'll ruin everyone's day". They may be able to go out and kill a few people. They do the crime with no punishment, fair enough, but it might as well be a perma ban since they leave the community.

Everyone else, however, is subject to a loss (generally pretty substantial) of stats and learning points. In the newest version of HnH, LP are pretty valuable. It isn't AS easy to just farm up a perfect combat character. If a group decides they want to grief, they have to accept the fact that they will lose valuable equipment and LP, period. Fighting is expensive in HnH, even if your group is top dog.

The reason fighting is so expensive is because there are a bunch of protections put in place. Each protection decreases the population that can fuck you over more and more. First, people need the trespassing skill to cross your land if you have a personal claim, so if you put up a personal claim you limit the people who can get to you. Next, if you put up even a basic, simple wall, people require the vandalism skill to get to you, further limiting those who can harass you. Upgrade that to a palisade and how they have to have those skills and a huge amount of strength or build a ram. Brick wall? Now their only option is a ram.

Each of these protections represent more and more of an investment required on the part of the "griefer", more and more that they are not going to want to lose. Also, Vandalism leaves a sent so "rangers" (kind of like volunteer anti-griefers) can track these griefers down and kill them while they are logged off.

It is also worth noting that if they do set up a ram they have to wait 24 hours for it to dry, giving you time to assemble a defense.

But even with a system this good (or convoluted) it is possible to lose everything to some asshole, and that sucks. But it isn't like it happens all the time. I think I have played a combined total of at least 6 months (don't play anymore) and never came across someone who tried to gank me or anything like that.

That being said, if a player isn't taking advantage of the most basic rules of security than they really do suck and deserve to die. People aren't griefing them, they are simply being stupid and trying to play the game in a stupid way.

Those goblins are not griefing you OR over powered. Build some damn cage traps and protect them dwarves!

Sentientdeth

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Soul Immortal
    • View Profile
    • Sentientdeth's Composition Blog
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »

You make some valid points about HnH, but you neglected to report on the fact that Jorb is an incompetent coder who openly refuses to fix game-breaking bugs.  I was a member of the city of Mexico, which was broken into by some griefers who used a chair to bug themselves over the walls.  We had a few security vaults to house our combat characters that were broken into using the exploding house bug.  As far as I know, neither of these bugs have been addressed (haven't played in about 6 months now). 
Dirgeplayer of the Twelve Bays
-The Bard's Guild-

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2011, 02:09:56 am »

I was a member of the city of Mexico, which was broken into by some griefers who used a chair to bug themselves over the walls.

This is just one wall at Mexico - I saw four or five more locations where raiders exploited the game code at this village.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:11:50 am by Trappin »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2011, 10:59:02 am »

Is it me, or is this just Haven with crappy graphics?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:27 pm »

You make some valid points about HnH, but you neglected to report on the fact that Jorb is an incompetent coder who openly refuses to fix game-breaking bugs.  I was a member of the city of Mexico, which was broken into by some griefers who used a chair to bug themselves over the walls.  We had a few security vaults to house our combat characters that were broken into using the exploding house bug.  As far as I know, neither of these bugs have been addressed (haven't played in about 6 months now).

This is true. There are bugs that can totally fuck you over and the dev's say "so soz, kthx by". I don't really understand this mindset. Barring that the PVP system in HnH works better than most of the others I have seen, other than maybe Eve.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2011, 01:36:58 pm »

I wish they'd just focused on making H&H better.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2011, 03:04:38 pm »

Haven and Hearth pretty much went abandonware when Salem was announced :(

Back in the old days exploits got fixed as soon as they were discovered.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2012, 11:14:45 am »

Beta signups are out :D

http://beta.salemthegame.com/?ref=a006a782456

Yeah this is a referral the catch is that you need 3 guys to also sign up, I'm willing to return the favour

I'm really looking forward to this :)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2012, 11:28:17 am »

Used SW's ref.

Someone use mine please :) http://beta.salemthegame.com/?ref=9561ad638d3
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21