Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.  (Read 46228 times)

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2012, 07:03:08 pm »

Just like to start off saying I HATE THE CURIO SYSTEM. But I can see how it's realistic, there's no way mankind would have advanced an inch if we didn't study and investigate resources and other such things to learn from and apply to new technologies. A basic example would be having a rope, one would more than likely study it to understand how it could be used elsewhere and from there, apply it to your needs through invention. (there's a shitton of things a rope can do for you that making 2,000 of them wont tell you).

IS IT FUN? That depends on the person, so arguing that is just dumb since it's UR OPINION HURHURHUR, etc etc. If you don't like it leave the game alone and never return because despite some huge egotistical opinion, people are going to like things you don't! I don't like it, I'd honestly rather sit for several hours whittling away at wood making forks but that's me and maybe a whole demographic but not the entirety of it.

Overall I haven't played much of Salem beta and I didn't much touch H&H after they added the curio system, so I might as well not know what the hell I'm talking about, so that's my disclaimer. However, I REALLY love wilderness survival crafting games and understand betas are not perfect, so I'll stick around and see if I warm up to these features.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2012, 03:47:49 am »

Studying a rope to learn what to do with it makes sense. Studying a rock to learn how to collect branches is extremely stupid. Guess which type exists in game?

Edit: oh, that reminds me. Novus Mundus, another wilderness-survival-type game I created a thread on this forum about, is going to incorporate the first type, specifically different applications of any given object.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:23:16 am by Dariush »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:24 am »

Ok i played a little bit of HH and here are my opinions on this piece.

Give starting players more things to do as searching for rocks and grass for the first several hours is tedious, grindy and straight up retarded.
Maybe increase the starting skills/stats so they can manufacture some basic curios from easy to find and renewable resources.
Something like this -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorodango
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2012, 05:46:48 am »

How do i get maple leaves?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2012, 06:18:34 am »

Apparently, by contemplating rocks.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2012, 10:51:13 am »

so, if you're completely butthurt about looking for random objects like a blind monkey, have no fear! A client has come out which shows all items on the map, and a few other interesting bits added in. Now, this doesn't solve the "Study a rock to pick a leaf" problem, but it does help with the "there's no damn rocks to study" problem
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »

And here we are again. I present you custom client for Salem! Click here to install it.

Are the parental units at Paradox awake? I think the neighborhood kids just shoved a firecracker up a swamp frog's ass.

Postby brohammed » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm
POWERGAMING COMES TO AN UNRELEASED GAME AWW YEAHHH
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:03:46 pm by Trappin »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2012, 02:11:33 pm »

so, if you're completely butthurt about looking for random objects like a blind monkey, have no fear! Abandon this piece of fucking shit and go play something sane!
Fixed that for you.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »

By picking them off maple trees. However, there are only two per tree and they don't regen, so they end up becoming a really valuable item. There aren't any within a 45min walk of Boston these days.

Best bet is to find someone with a lumbercamp out in the woods and offer them food or whatever in exchange for a few.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »

There's a livestream up @ http://www.twitch.tv/spencer_ruler

If anyone's interested I mean. He's terraforming to make a defensive fence right now.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 01, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »

Holy hell, the shit this game has gotten from this thread alone is more than I expected.

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »

More than it deserves too IMO.
Anyone looking for a village?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2012, 03:03:55 pm »

The LP system:
I know the system gets a lot of hate here because it isn't realistic. I have played games that go both ways, IE you only skill up in the skill you do or doing any skill gives you points to spend in any other skill. They both have their merits. If you can spend your points where ever you want you have a better chance to specialize your character and help where ever is needed. If you only skill up the skills you use, helping anywhere else can be a waste of time.

Curos verses skill use:
I started HnH in world 3 and made a cooking character. No one got any LP for gathering sticks so there were never any sticks available. It was frustrating gathering them on my own because cooking didn't get you very many LP anyways. In the end I cooked little enough to keep your cupboards full and spent the rest of my time digging clay, making pots, and dropping them in the water.

In World 4 (or 5, I can't remember the first Curo world) I had no problem cooking all the time or tending the fields or getting sticks because I was getting the same amount of LP if I contributed to the village or did nothing. People were able to specialize even more and no jobs were "bad" jobs because everyone had access to the same curos and the same learning points.

Personally, I do not mind the curo system because I play these games to make a nice village and when everyone is advancing regardless of how they contribute to the village, the village just ends up that much nicer. Granted you open the door to free loading oxygen breathers who contribute nothing, but that is true regardless of the system.

It isn't a perfect system but writing it off because it is completely illogical (and any LP/EXP system is) isn't good enough.

Also calling a development company "asshats" because the closed beta of their game is lacking content and polish or because it has bugs is just silly. Especially here.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 14, 2012, 09:11:14 am »

So, my beta invite just turned up today. Is there some B12-endorsed village I should check out or am I to simply wing it in the wilds?
... and then it explodes!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2012, 02:55:55 am »

Heh looks like their stepping up beta invites, got one myself.

First impression: The graphics aren't as bad as the initial previews made them out to be, they actually look rather nice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:02:03 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21