Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 141

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 612103 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #375 on: January 09, 2013, 12:08:42 pm »

Naev is close to an old Mac game no-one's heard of. Very arcadey, but fun.

If you haven't heard of Escape Velocity you certainly are a nobody.
Naev is nowhere near finished and hasn't seen an update in a year or more. No clue if it's dead.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 10, 2013, 11:13:05 am »

Naev is unfortunately unfinished, as after a few missions there's nothing else to do out of making cargo runs (as they pay the most) until you can buy the best warship and take on waves of random pirates without anything else going on the very numerous space system you can visit.

I hope it's not dead , though there was no more update since september on their blog, because for what is done in the current version, it's a really interesting and great game.

There's Oolite, a remake of the 1st Elite that is about trading and combat, though if you didn't liked much the 1st Elite, Oolite despite some noticable improvements and many mods (named OXP) shouldn't get your interest as it's very similar.
If you want to try oolite with a mouse, ingame press CTRL+SHIFT+M , i think it's the best method of flying with the mouse (the other mouse method being SHIFT+M ) .
And if i remember it only works in fullscreen mode for reason i don't know.

Yannanth

« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2013, 11:25:12 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:50:18 pm by Yannanth »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2013, 11:47:42 am »

Yes, Elite was a simple game in term of what was possible to do but in its time it was breakgrounding for the scope of it.

To me the Elite serie become truly great with the 2nd one : Frontier Elite 2 , because of the introduction of the newtonian physics and the possibility to get on the planet/station/asteroids.
It's that game that made me so interested by space flight with non-arcade physics, so much that i'm flying with the most excellent Orbiter nearly daily (though if you're interest in trading, there's none in Orbiter).

There's the open source Pioneer that is similar to Frontier Elite 2 and feature truly amazing planetary and asteroid procedural terrain.
But it's not finished and the trading system is there but without much thought given to it yet, fortunately exploring the planets and asteroids is entertaining enough thanks to that procedural terrain that can make them very detailled once you get closer.

There's usually 1 new release each month.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:49:23 am by Robsoie »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:32 pm »

I played ur quan masters, I couldn't really get into it though.  It was fun for a little while, but it gets pretty repetetive, and I really didn't like the combat.  The voice work and story was pretty cool though.  I know there's a huge nostalgia factor for a lot people there.

I really liked freelancer (I think that's what it was called, the one with Bruce Cambell doing the voice).  I can't remember if there even was trading in that game, but there were random missions and fun combat.

I'll give oolite a try, I don't mind if it's super complicated, as long as its fun. 

Trancendance is pretty fun, although the ships seem a little herky jerky, if you know what I mean. But still, it's pretty fun, although I'm running around a with an expensive weapon I bought, that my reactor can't power.... oops.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 04, 2013, 02:44:29 am »

Y'all should add Ruby RPG up in there. Also, Animal Forest isn't dead anymore.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:12 am »

Is this list dead or something?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 14, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »

Is this list dead or something?
It is still here and working... 
Unless you mean is it getting updated?  Probably not.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 14, 2013, 02:37:03 pm »

Only so many free games get made, after all. We've been bound to catch up with them sooner or later.

Plus lack of interest in updating/searching and all. Probably this more then that, now that I think about it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:12 am »

I have been playing with it a bit since a few days (the latest version has been released in the beginning of this month) and found it very good, but sadly a bit crashy though (at least on windows)
http://www.unknown-horizons.org/

Unknown Horizons is an open source game very inspired by the Anno : xxxx serie, and is excellent if you like this specific genre.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 22, 2013, 01:16:20 pm »

Outpost and Outpost 2: Divided Destiny
Two games by Sierra that were released for freeware. I haven't played the first one yet, but it was described as a Simcity-like, but on a moon of Jupiter.

The second one is more of a C&C-like, but with a very good storyline. Apparently, the multiplayer community is still active, since the last news bit on the site was 3 days ago.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 26, 2013, 05:07:02 pm »

I'd like to add another to the list. Mega Man 8 bit Deathmatch. Someone took the doom 2 engine, and remade the game into 8 bit style arena type multiplayer, utilizing all of the robots from the various mega man games.

Find it here: http://cutstuff.net/mm8bdm/?page_id=5

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2013, 12:24:45 am »

Outpost and Outpost 2: Divided Destiny
Two games by Sierra that were released for freeware. I haven't played the first one yet, but it was described as a Simcity-like, but on a moon of Jupiter.

The second one is more of a C&C-like, but with a very good storyline. Apparently, the multiplayer community is still active, since the last news bit on the site was 3 days ago.

I dug up and played the first one again recently.  I don't recommend it unless you are trying to relive old memories.  It suffers from a really bad case of bad-interface-itis:  Almost no feedback about what's happening or why, and it's impossible to manage your minerals in any meaningful way, which means if you overextend even a little bit, your colony will collapse into unrecoverable failure.

Second one is amazing though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2013, 08:22:12 am »

Anyone know of any good (free) space trade sandboxy games?  I recently downloaded vega strike and the open source privateer, both of which I found sorta boring... The combat in privateer was just terrible, and vega strike just had a lot of boring cruising through open space.
It doesn't have to be 1st person 3d, top down is fun too. 

Doesn't even necessarily have to be in space, it just seems like the most common setting for that type of game.  Trading and combat is what I'm looking for.
Oolite - spice it up with a few mods
you need to realise though that trade games are always 'boring' and space is big. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 05, 2013, 02:05:29 pm »

Why is Kerbal Space Program on the list? It is certainly not free.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 141