Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473173 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #795 on: January 17, 2013, 12:47:40 pm »

The graveyard is a good example of a dungeon you should avoid.
The boss is not that powerfull, so you can defeat her if you're at a correct level.

But the problem are the unique undead elite that will spawn near the tombs while you're entering the boss room, they're -much- more dangerous and will kill you most of the time if you attack them all.

So the best tactic is to attack the boss, trigger the rod of recall, killl the boss and be teleported before the wave of playerkilling enemies will reach you.

Then you can come later and kill them all once you get higher level.

A workaround to this tactic would be to open each coffin , to spawn them individually and kill them one by one before going after the boss.
But it will curse your character, and as you're usually tight with the generic points, you may have to waste a lot of them to counterbalance the cursed skills, and so not putting them in the usefull generic skills you need.

If you play a cursed character, you will not care at all, as you already have the curse , and already counterbalanced it with the cursed skills.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 17, 2013, 12:57:29 pm »

Actually, they took out the curses the last update because they were buggy, so the best thing to do now is to kill all of the undead individually. I actually quite enjoy doing it, they're usually all quite doable and its decent fun unless you get something crazy like I did :/

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 17, 2013, 12:58:02 pm »

I diagree with that - level up to get ready. Tome levelscales quite nicely and the lower your level is, the more advantage the good gear you got earlier will give you.

Of cause there are some cases, when character survivability raises a lot from a single level, when ghoul gets retch, when sun paladin gets barrier or providence and so on, but usually your gear is more important.

Also, I disagree with resistance stockpiling at early levels. It's good, sure. but healing bonus, boost to firepower, useful charm usually overweight it.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25:43 pm »

Skeletons necromancers are fun and good... in early game, but unfortunately they have a huge experience penalty, so at mid game you'll not be at the kind of level you used to be for other characters.
And then it become extremely hard, as your minions are of your level and so will not be powerfull enough to deal with nearly everything you'll fight.

That "lagging behind" problem becomes obvious in Dreadfell, when you face the master with your minions and he nearly insta kill them, forcing you to resummon, then he re-insta kill them, and you're then back at 0 undead reserves .
Meaning you can't summon anything anymore until you find more monsters to kill (and if the dungeon floor is cleared, you'll have to leave the level , resetting the master at full health, in order to find more monsters to kill and get more undead reserves.

After winning the 60 waves arena with skeleton necromancer, i have been surprised how much of a very harder time i have with it at just mid-game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 17, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »

So, ah. Go blaster necro. Ignore the minions entirely (or pick them up much later in the game) and dakka all over the place. We just had a (higher, but still) minionless necromancer pull out a victory a day or two ago. Looks like a Lich one got through (though with considerably more deaths) since then, too, and the next one down from those two went way heavier into blasting than minions. Seems like it's pretty viable, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 17, 2013, 01:43:04 pm »

Any advice for melee Mindslayers? I'm a sucker for equipment gimmicks (Celerity, Corrupted Strength, and Beyond the Flesh are all pretty awesome skills) but I'm not quite sure how to make these guys work. Just spike shields and auras whenever possible and hit things to death? And what should my priorities be? If I understand correctly, the shields are pretty important, right?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 17, 2013, 01:57:11 pm »

Shield spiking tends to be a very last-ditch thing, for me, at least until I get the cooldown reset for 'em (though I'm a bit more free with spiking once I have the rest, the reset's expensive, so...). Aura spiking you use when you're up against something that's actually dangerous, sometimes as an opening shot, sometimes not -- the passive damage is actually pretty high, so leaving it on for a bit before spiking can increase your overall damage versus an individual critter. Mostly you just bump things to death and build up your tank (i.e. shields). Even with the changes, kinetic and charged is generally the pair you care about. Aura wise, you'll eventually max all three (but probably not the forth talent) both for greater spiking and higher conduit damage. Augmentation's a big deal, max that ASAP. Makes it so slayers can comfortably go will/cun/con.

As for general stuff, you'll want mobility kit (rush/speed boots, tele rune, movement infusion, etc.) whenever possible and advanced mobility is where your first cat point is going to go (Second's either grip or finer energy manip). First three talents in that tree are solid, but you can probably avoid maxing the first and third tier -- you don't really need their maxed range, in most cases, but an extra point or two is generally a good thing. Antimagic's a pretty good idea, especially with the resulting fungus, but you can do without quite easily as well. I'd probably recommend heavy or massive armor, likely the latter until the end game (unless you've found good -fatigue kit you don't mind wearing).

Race wise... thalore, dwarf, or undead (Either -- ghouls are my preferred 'cause of the built-in stun immunity a ghoul slayer can get, plus g.leap is great and Quick as Thought and Beyond the Flesh help mitigate the ghoul global speed penalty). Maybe halfling or cornac. Yeek or shalore are good for focus!slayers and highers are alright doing whatever.

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but that's a start.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:00:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 17, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »

Didn't thought about going the minion-less path, will have to give it a try to see if it's powerfull enough, as with Darkness is too weak at its  level5 as the only ranged spell if you spend your points on the summon talents.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:25:50 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 17, 2013, 02:00:19 pm »

edit : oops clicked quote instead of modify.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:26:06 pm by Robsoie »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 17, 2013, 02:06:58 pm »

@Frumple

Thanks for the advice, it looks pretty helpful. Also, what about the various leech skills? What the other skills do looks pretty self-explanatory, but I'm not sure what these leech skills are really for. Am I meant to use them as debuffs or to regain psi, or both? Or can I safely ignore them?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:09:23 pm by Un67 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 17, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »

You... ah. You can use them, mostly for both. They're actually decent debuffs and the psi gain is notable. The issue, such as it is, with then on a melee 'slayer is that the talents that make the leeches good (instead of just alright) are down the focus trees and generally take a gem being psi-worn to function at full capacity.

I sorta' don't use 'em. I generally just take the first point out of the first talent, collapse the tree, and never look at it again. But... give 'em a try, see if they work for you. They'll let you be pretty free with the your spiking and other talent use due to the psi gain and the other effects aren't exactly bad.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 17, 2013, 03:36:17 pm »

I like the game, it's fun a lot of time, but when you experience one of those "bullshit deaths", it's hard to not just give up and do something else instead.

Early dungeon; Rhaloren camp, my Shaloren necro had cleared Scintillating caves very nicely and was doing great in that dungeon.
Then a named random unique, cast the shield, cast Darkness, cast then Chill of Tomb as usual.. except that my character die just then !

Convenientely my character had exactly 142 health before that.
So whatever crap this early random unique used, it crumbled my shield and insta killed my character.
And out of this amount of damage that early in the game corresponding oddly to my health , here's now the bullshit death part : that character being a necro had blurred mortality active.
This excellent necro talent, at the level 1 i had it for now, prevent him to die unless he reaches -50 health.

So let's see 142 health at the time of the strike - 142.22 damage = my character was ending at -0.22 health , meaning that there's no reason for my character to be dead at all !
perfect example of bullshit death.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 17, 2013, 05:29:28 pm »

My character has found the The Bearscape!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any advice for melee Mindslayers? I'm a sucker for equipment gimmicks (Celerity, Corrupted Strength, and Beyond the Flesh are all pretty awesome skills) but I'm not quite sure how to make these guys work. Just spike shields and auras whenever possible and hit things to death? And what should my priorities be? If I understand correctly, the shields are pretty important, right?

Not a melee mindslayer, but my last win was with a Anti-magic mindslayer. It was pretty powerful. By the end, Mindlash had 0 cooldown and dealt over 1000 damage.

http://te4.org/characters/11413/tome/de75ca02-8282-43b9-9667-e7b3cc71af76

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 17, 2013, 06:40:27 pm »

Sometime when playing in online profile DG enable one of those bonus zone
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Too bad those zones do not appear offline, they're worth experiences and items.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:20 pm »

Quick question, is there any reason to take phase levels instead of going straight for level 5 teleport? It seems to me teleport is pretty much upgraded version with slightly higher cost, but I might be missing something.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 163