Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473180 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #810 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:28 pm »

IIRC Phase has a shorter cooldown and can be more accurately targeted. It's been a while since I've played ToME at all, though, so take that with a heavy grain of salt.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:49 pm »

When the phase door talent hits effective level five, it becomes, well, targetable -- not just on yourself, but on enemies and allies, as well. Being able to do that makes quite a few things much, much easier, and is often more useful than actually PDing away (though less reliable). You only need effective level five, though, not raw, so quite a few of the folks with conveyance access only need the talent to hit 4/5. E: And yeah, as FD says, it's lower cooldown and cheaper, though you'll still be wanting to get it at least controlled if not targetable. Uncontrolled phase door is the kiss of death. It will eventually get you killed.

Incidentally, uncontrolled teleport is often more useful than controlled teleport, from what I've seen. The standard thing (for my critters, anyway) with conveyance is to take it 4/1/-/-, with the latter two talents depending on other factors.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:41:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:07 am »

Most boss enemies feel kinda luck-based to me, if I'm not overleveled for the area. They have the potential to do a lot of damage in one turn, but usually that can be managed. The problem is that if there's three or so unlucky turns in a row, there's not enough time to recover and the situation goes from full health to death so fast that there's no reasonable spot for escape.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:09 am »

Got my Dwarf Cursed up to lvl 19 now, took the Sher'Tul fortress. Sadly, I'm out of extra lives now after a very bad run-in in the Ruined Dungeon. Had no problem with 95% of the critters in there. But then a combination of a Dread guardian, a greater gwelgoroth and a random boss proceeded to kick my ass twice over, until I finally said "screw this" and had the Eidolon send me somewhere else.

Random bosses often seem to be my bane more than the plot bosses. Some are laughably weak, some are OHGODWHYYYYY...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 18, 2013, 02:35:48 pm »

My level 29 corruptor ran into a Worm That Walks on the 8th floor of Dreadfell. Luckily I found Gwai's Burninator a few floors down. I heard it got buffed, so I tried it on him.. And it nearly one-shot him! Too bad it has such a long cooldown.

After looking at some winners in the vault I'm surprised so few people abuse Elemental Harmony. 41% global speed boost is awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 18, 2013, 03:12:28 pm »

Harmony really is awesome. S'just expensive on most critters (Cat point, 6 generics) and fiddly to get what you want running (self flagellation with fire damage :P). Wilders don't really have an excuse, though. They get the tree for free, heh, and likely don't have a high magic stat (making smacking yourself with a elm fire staff trivial.).

Arguably the best part about harmony speed, though, is that it stacks with other speed buffs... like say, Eden's Guile or the Shaloren racial >_>

Or did. Dunno if they fixed that.
Ask not!
Ask!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 18, 2013, 03:32:21 pm »

I don't want to be that guy but has anyone else noticed that the Tales of Maj'Eyal community has kind of deteriorated since it's inclusion on Steam? Every time I get into that game now people tend to be assholes of some kind.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 18, 2013, 03:47:20 pm »

^ I don't think it is, though. It's still on Greenlight.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 18, 2013, 03:52:37 pm »

I think dei's talking about the awareness Greenlight gave to the free version. Otherwise, yeah, not available on Steam.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 18, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »

I don't want to be that guy but has anyone else noticed that the Tales of Maj'Eyal community has kind of deteriorated since it's inclusion on Steam? Every time I get into that game now people tend to be assholes of some kind.
It's my experience that the Internet is composed primarily of assholes, especially in the context of online gaming.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 18, 2013, 03:57:22 pm »

I still see assholes every time I'm on though. Honestly I hope that the Steam Greenlight fails horribly because if this does get on Steam I will probably play Tales of Maj'Eyal exclusively offline.

I think dei's talking about the awareness Greenlight gave to the free version. Otherwise, yeah, not available on Steam.
Pretty much this. I don't like the Steam community from what I've seen so far. Then again most of whom I've seen in the Steam community from brief glimpses into it would count as either sexual deviants, powergamers, elitists, hipsters, idiots, assholes, and the occasional /b/tard.

It's my experience that the Internet is composed primarily of assholes, especially in the context of online gaming.
I've been on the internet for close to fourteen or fifteen years now. Until the Steam Greenlight Tales of Maj'Eyal was the only online game that I had played which did not have assholes for the most part. Steam ruined that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 18, 2013, 03:59:45 pm »

Ehn. The uncivil folks may be a bit more common, but the average fellow using the chat still seems fairly alright. I'm not exactly on 24/7, though, so maybe I've just been getting lucky. Regardless, you can always filter the chat out. I've actually been doing that recently simply because the message log causes massive lag when I open it, after a while. If I don't see the text, I don't feel compelled to answer questions, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:33 pm »

Ehn. The uncivil folks may be a bit more common, but the average fellow using the chat still seems fairly alright. I'm not exactly on 24/7, though, so maybe I've just been getting lucky. Regardless, you can always filter the chat out. I've actually been doing that recently simply because the message log causes massive lag when I open it, after a while. If I don't see the text, I don't feel compelled to answer questions, heh.
...I'm tempted to filter the chat out myself but to be honest with you part of what drew me to Tales of Maj'Eyal was the online chat. I play online games not just because they are fun but because I want to socialize. I have no offline friends who play video games or have any interest in what a nerd like myself would like, so I play online games to fill that gap that is unable to be filled offline.

I guess I'm just feeling more than a bit disappointed about the decline of the Tales of Maj'Eyal community, and quite cynical about it's future if the game does get put on Steam. I've noticed that almost any game that I have liked that has been put on Steam has had to deal with the community becoming much worse after it's inclusion in even so much as the Steam Greenlight. Honestly, I would rather talk to /b/tards, conservative fundamentalists and pedophiles than most of the people in the Steam community, and the whole bit with the decline of the Tales of Maj'Eyal community is blatantly pointing that out to me once again like a slap to the face. And I hate conservative fundamentalists.

Hence why I hope the Steam Greenlight isn't a success. I don't want to have to filter the chat just to enjoy Tales of Maj'Eyal, especially when the wiki is incomplete. I suppose I could ask the lot of you here for help, but I still hope I won't have to start filtering the chat because of a bunch of assholes who haven't been raised right and only care about powergaming and various forms of chicanery that include calling me names for some reason like a couple of those bratty children did yesterday.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:28 pm »

I feel your pain Dei, RotMG went to the dogs after they went on Steam. I was very happy with the community there before, but now it's all about "loot", "add more endgame content", "scammers", and "omgthispersonhaxbanplz". Add me to the "It's Popular now it sucks" elitist bandwagon.

Also, I ate the heart of the sandworm queen and, if I'm reading this right, I can get +6 to ALL STATS whenever I get zapped by lightning?

Maybe I WILL finish Derth's Quest this time.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:05:44 pm by Blaze »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:30 pm »

If elemental harmony's running, yeah. It doesn't stack with itself (so not +6 per time hit with lightning :P), unfortunately, but it's nice.

Lightning harmony's probably my... third tier harmony effect. Fire harmony is best harmony, and acid harmony can be really sexy on a regen/healmod tank. Then lightning and nature roughly tying. Cold is... iffy. Not as sexy as the rest.

The best of things with harmony is an elm staff. Command staff and manually attacking yourself (there's an attack talent in your talent menu [default m]. You can hit yourself. As a side note, you can break daze with that.) gives you desired buff on command for a few hitpoints, so long as you're not mainlining magic.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 163