Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473116 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1980 on: November 12, 2014, 06:20:35 pm »

... that... there's definitely something really zogging weird going on, because kor'pul should be an absolute cakewalk at level 14. Even the vaults shouldn't be notably risky at that point.

Still, in case of open rooms, get out, fight in corridors, etc. As noted, movement infusions or tele runes are really useful for that sort of thing. You never really want to fight more than one critter at a time, anyway (barring some oddities like brawlers, and honestly not even then most of the time).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: November 12, 2014, 06:24:27 pm »

I was really not getting any infusions or runes, although I did get a ton of named equipment pretty early on, which helped me survive a lot longer than I usually do.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: November 12, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

Mm... yeah, if you're having trouble getting some decent inscriptions, it's usually time for a shopping trip. You're almost guaranteed to find movement or teleport in one of the towns -- if not derth, then one of the two elf towns or last hope (or zigur, I guess, if you're not arcane). Racial towns, too, I guess. If you haven't gotten an upgraded regen/healing infusion by the end of the second or third tier 1 dungeon, it's probably time to swing by and trade up, even if you're not after an escape option.
Ask not!
Ask!

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: November 12, 2014, 06:48:06 pm »

Also, if you are looking for an easier dungeon than Korpul, you can go to the other races' equivalents of Trollmire. Namely Norgos' Lair (closer to Trollmire), and Scintillating Caves. Old Forest and the Maze are what are called tier 2 dungeons, you really don't want to head there if you can't handle Korpul.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: November 12, 2014, 07:16:02 pm »

I did fine with both the Old Forest and the Maze. It was one area in Kor'pul I had trouble with.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: November 12, 2014, 07:21:23 pm »

Mm. That's a fairly extreme aberration, then. Shouldn't have happened, and should be fairly unlikely to happen again. Not sure if that's much of a consolation, but... if you can get through OF and the Maze, it should be very close to impossible for Kor'pul to actually throw anything dangerous at you. That it did was something very, very strange.
Ask not!
Ask!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: November 13, 2014, 11:27:40 am »

I did fine with both the Old Forest and the Maze. It was one area in Kor'pul I had trouble with.

Kor'pul can be hard with the boss caster hitting you from outside of your light source.  I typically hit it after all my most other T1s if I am squishy.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: November 13, 2014, 11:40:27 am »

A good idea when you're entering the area where the Kor'pul boss is to not follow the corridors left or right , then go down then go left or right to the boss, but when you enter the area just dig south into the wall.
The boss is at only a few tiles from that wall, so you'll see him at the same time he'll see you.

This way you'll already be able to attack him and he will not be able to hit you beyond your line of sight.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: November 13, 2014, 11:57:51 am »

the yeek wayist is a dick

twice i've saved him now, first time he simply disappears (no killed message or anything) after subject Z dies and the next time he gets nicked by my fire drake's AoE cloud which apparently turns him hostile and once again denies me my unlock o_O

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: November 13, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »

Necromancer is probably the easiest class to save the Yeek with.  You can teleport Subject Z away with level 4 teleport.  You can surround him with your summons so he has trouble attacking the Yeek. Your darkness spells also don't hurt the Yeek so you can go nuts with them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: November 13, 2014, 03:07:02 pm »

Can do the same thing with an archmage. Obviously archmage is a lot squisher than a necromancer, but I think it is an easier unlock. (I forget if you only have to find lore or if you also have to kill Celia to unlock necromancer.)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: November 13, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »

Can do the same thing with an archmage. Obviously archmage is a lot squisher than a necromancer, but I think it is an easier unlock. (I forget if you only have to find lore or if you also have to kill Celia to unlock necromancer.)

You need to read all four(?) "How to be a Necromancer" lore, then kill Celia. This is a lot easier if you can unlock the fortress, but you still need to wait until you've found all the lore at some point or another.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: November 13, 2014, 04:20:39 pm »

True, but the archmage has to worry about friendly fire, a necromancer doesn't have any friendly fire from his darkness spells after proper leveling.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: November 13, 2014, 06:49:58 pm »

Well, the point of using either class is to target-phase door or target-teleport either Z or the yeek, so if the yeek still ends up being in the blast zone somehow while you're fighting, I'd really just call that bad luck rather putting it to a class' build.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: November 14, 2014, 07:57:32 am »

Or you can use the rod of recall and skip the two completely until you gained a few extra levels.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 163