Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702531 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #405 on: June 02, 2011, 08:00:16 pm »

Or you could just go play mafia.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2011, 08:02:47 pm »

Or you could just go play mafia.
But im bad at it. This would be more exploring based though.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:45 pm »

Mafia RTD wouldn't work too well, for a couple reasons. The main one, however, is simply that at its heart, mafia is a game of interrogation and deception, feeling other players out and trying to delve into their hidden motives. That's just not a standard game, or one people can play well if they're not used to and expecting it.

That said, something more structured and in the same vague "Someone in this room... is a murderer!" type category could work well.

Most likely, at least in my opinion, it'd be a hidden-rolls system taking place in a mansion, with rolls for all sorts of facets of actions. Everyone would split up and do their thing, then gather at some point to ask and tell and such. There might even be numerous factions and agendas not directly related to everyone dying.

So for instance, let's say Alice and Bob both go into the kitchen, possibly because Alice is actually an undercover archaeologist looking for something precious hidden in the house. Alice, we'll say, rolls a [1] on her Notice Other Players roll, so she thinks it's Curt that's in there, not Bob. Bob rolls a [6], so not only does he notice Alice, he thinks he saw David in there as well. So even when you get to "who was in the room with you?" there's room for being uncertain of yourself. Is David lying, or was he really not there? Why doesn't anyone claim to have seen Bob- was he being stealthy, or alone, or with someone unobservant? Since they don't know their own or anyone else's rolls, nobody can be certain of anything.

Throw in things like searching through the kitchen, possibly attempting to leave no traces that you did so, or murdering Alice without making a racket, and you've got a lot of room for delicate situations. And with various factions, people might have cause to be sneaky or tight-lipped even without being a murderer- Alice knows there's other archaeologists afoot, and if they find out where the item is before she does, they'll get all the glory. So she'd best not let slip that she's an archaeologist, or else her fellows might lock her in her room or even club her out, to say nothing of giving them a headstart by mentioning that she searched the kitchen and it's not in there.

I'd probably throw in random event "cards," and maybe other, similar things to liven things up a bit. Did Bob really go into the study because he heard a cat in there, or is that just a convenient excuse? Did David's magnifying glass conveniently need repairs in time for him to leave Evin alone at the precise time he was brutally murdered, or did he crack it himself to cover his tracks? For that matter, was David's magnifying glass ever really cracked, and he did exceptionally well repairing it as he claims?

So, yeah. Could work.

That idea sounds awesome. :D
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »

Im going to write some stuff up based on Irony Owl's idea, chances are its going to become a forum game.
:D
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »

Mafia RTD wouldn't work too well, for a couple reasons. The main one, however, is simply that at its heart, mafia is a game of interrogation and deception, feeling other players out and trying to delve into their hidden motives. That's just not a standard game, or one people can play well if they're not used to and expecting it.

That said, something more structured and in the same vague "Someone in this room... is a murderer!" type category could work well.

Most likely, at least in my opinion, it'd be a hidden-rolls system taking place in a mansion, with rolls for all sorts of facets of actions. Everyone would split up and do their thing, then gather at some point to ask and tell and such. There might even be numerous factions and agendas not directly related to everyone dying.

So for instance, let's say Alice and Bob both go into the kitchen, possibly because Alice is actually an undercover archaeologist looking for something precious hidden in the house. Alice, we'll say, rolls a [1] on her Notice Other Players roll, so she thinks it's Curt that's in there, not Bob. Bob rolls a [6], so not only does he notice Alice, he thinks he saw David in there as well. So even when you get to "who was in the room with you?" there's room for being uncertain of yourself. Is David lying, or was he really not there? Why doesn't anyone claim to have seen Bob- was he being stealthy, or alone, or with someone unobservant? Since they don't know their own or anyone else's rolls, nobody can be certain of anything.

Throw in things like searching through the kitchen, possibly attempting to leave no traces that you did so, or murdering Alice without making a racket, and you've got a lot of room for delicate situations. And with various factions, people might have cause to be sneaky or tight-lipped even without being a murderer- Alice knows there's other archaeologists afoot, and if they find out where the item is before she does, they'll get all the glory. So she'd best not let slip that she's an archaeologist, or else her fellows might lock her in her room or even club her out, to say nothing of giving them a headstart by mentioning that she searched the kitchen and it's not in there.

I'd probably throw in random event "cards," and maybe other, similar things to liven things up a bit. Did Bob really go into the study because he heard a cat in there, or is that just a convenient excuse? Did David's magnifying glass conveniently need repairs in time for him to leave Evin alone at the precise time he was brutally murdered, or did he crack it himself to cover his tracks? For that matter, was David's magnifying glass ever really cracked, and he did exceptionally well repairing it as he claims?

So, yeah. Could work.

That idea sounds awesome. :D

It sounds oddly like the game Clue

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »

True, but with a few expansion packs thrown in. ;D
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 02, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »

For some reason now I want to start an RTD based on the Fullmetal Alchemist world.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 02, 2011, 08:38:57 pm »

I still want a Magicka RTD.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »

I still want a Magicka RTD.

Come play the Magika RTD where a player gets killed by friendly fire every turn !!!!!

That sound about right?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 02, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »

YES.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 02, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »

That sounds like it could work, but since players will be killing eachother rather fast it would end rather fast. It could have multiple rounds though, now that im thinking more about it it would actually be better as a Forum Game.
Generally speaking, only one or two would be actual murderers. Other players could probably resort to murder to achieve their schemes, but even then they'd probably only do so on the rare chance that they knew exactly who was opposing them and were willing to take the risk, or if they just decided to play completely omnicidally.

You're right that it'd likely be only a few turns long, and now that I think about it one murderer [1] in the wrong place could end the whole thing, or at least compress it to three or so lynches/suspects. The former isn't too much of a concern, but I might have to make the murderer's murderings more... opportunity based, or something. Maybe he'd get murder cards.

It sounds oddly like the game Clue
True, but with a few expansion packs thrown in. ;D
Indeed. :)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »

Maybe players could have an HP system? Would force the murderers to try to hide before they kill their targets. There could also be traps around the mansion that other people could set up, if you run into it and get a bad roll then 1 hp is taken away. The murderers could maybe take away more hp than a trap or just outright kill the player.
Welcome to Reality.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 02, 2011, 08:53:27 pm »

For some reason now I want to start an RTD based on the Fullmetal Alchemist world.
Taricus would be Taric McNoPast, the Double Entendre Alchemist!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 02, 2011, 08:55:22 pm »

Oh come on, I haven't even watched it D:
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56:48 pm »

Oh come on, I haven't even watched it D:

You should its an amazing series.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 661