Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702482 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #765 on: June 17, 2011, 12:35:24 pm »

Now I want to ask you guys for a bit of help on the Oblivion RTD.

Could you help me make some starting equipment
Spoiler: Starting Equipment (click to show/hide)

And Birthsigns (Also just helping make stats for the birthsigns would be helpful to)?
Spoiler: Birthsigns (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 17, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »

How many RTD's do you plan to run at once, Adwarf? I'm quite partial to the micro-backstory I wrote for Strife in the Creed one . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 17, 2011, 12:54:16 pm »

How many RTD's do you plan to run at once, Adwarf? I'm quite partial to the micro-backstory I wrote for Strife in the Creed one . . .
Oh don't worry my Magician's Academy died due to lakc of a even partially planned story so I am replacing it with that. None of my other RTDs will die since I have all the time I need to update them.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 17, 2011, 02:07:23 pm »

I know I shouldn't host another RTD, because I'll eventually abandon it like every other RTD I hosted, but I get really good ideas at times and it hurts to know I won't be able to realize them.

This time I had an idea about an urban fantasy RTD with spell casting and guns, but having both logically balanced by making the spells require rituals and perform support roles rather than combat. Finding people, spying, becoming invisible, healing between fights, talking with spirits, finding magic items, spotting other spells being cast. Mainly information. But there are problems.

1. Even if I'm really free right now, I'll probably abandon it. Damn my laziness.
2. I need more ideas.
3. For information to be useful, I'd need a damn good writing. This RTD idea was adapted from a story I thought up while daydreaming which includes a magician reviving an investigator who was searching for the killer of a political figure, but was murdered by the same killer and now knows who he is. Turns out the killer and political figure are magicians searching for an ancient artifact. Politics, magic and gunfighting ensue. But that wouldn't work for an RTD.
4. Many will go all "tl;dr".
5. A lot of times I think an idea is really good, but get bored of it soon. I'll probably get tired of this one too.
6. I always find flaws in my RTDs like "no plot", "shitty mechanics", "railroading", "limited content", "too easy", "too hard" and etc. and lose all enthusiasm.

Arrgh...depressed at my laziness and self-depreciation.

Edit: Also at this rate I'll probably earn a really bad reputation and no one will play my RTDs at all.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 17, 2011, 02:14:08 pm »

4. Tl;DR Doesn't count considering the size of some RTDs (Read: Draignean's) intros. Those are HUMUNGOUS.

And believe me, no-one will hate you for making a few RTDs that die off.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 17, 2011, 02:31:48 pm »

I will.  Slacker. :P

I'd take it up if I thought I could handle 4 RTDs, but I know I can't.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 17, 2011, 04:02:14 pm »

1. Even if I'm really free right now, I'll probably abandon it. Damn my laziness.
Then put up a warning or something on the first page. Or let another person continue it if they really like it.

Anyway, one thing to do is not update as soon as everyone's there, but at your earliest convinience. Like, say, when there's nothing else to distract yourself with.

4. Many will go all "tl;dr".
You'd think so, but not really. And many of those who do likely aren't the kind of crowd you should/want to attract anyway.

5. A lot of times I think an idea is really good, but get bored of it soon. I'll probably get tired of this one too.
I know that feeling. But you could start another simotanious RTD in a much different universe. That may help, but remember that I'm not speaking from experience... yet. Yes, I'm thinking of starting another RTD. But the chance of me actually starting it is low.

6. I always find flaws in my RTDs like "no plot", "shitty mechanics", "railroading", "limited content", "too easy", "too hard" and etc. and lose all enthusiasm.
I know that feeling. The plot is kinda hard to fix. The mechanics can be fixed anytime (for example, I fixed mine in the middle of the game with no people voting against it and 3 out of 8 voting for it). The railroading isn't that bad if the players are just lollygagging around like idiots (the alternative is many boring turns). Too easy can be fixed with harder enemies. Too hard can be fixed with shiny weapons.

Edit: Also at this rate I'll probably earn a really bad reputation and no one will play my RTDs at all.
Well, there's a few ways to avoid this:
Make one or two long lasting RTDs (like your Tom's dungeon crawl). The players will try to forget you abandoning the shorter ones.
Make the RTDs you do make hilarious if they have to be short.
Make the RTDs you make long lasting.
Wait a while between RTDs. Players will start to forget about your failures and entirely new people will start playing.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

4. Tl;DR Doesn't count considering the size of some RTDs (Read: Draignean's) intros. Those are HUMUNGOUS.
Indeed.

And believe me, no-one will hate you for making a few RTDs that die off.
Well, I will if they die early. It makes me look on those GMs with distrust that they'll be able to keep an RTD going.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #772 on: June 17, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »

This raises a good question-what is so hard about running an RTD? I mean, if we can root out a problem, we can do some dwarven science and get some compitent RTDs in.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 17, 2011, 05:17:44 pm »

Keeping interest is the main issue. This is sort of between a rock and a hard place for most GMs, because if it's too simple, they tend to get bored with it and lose the will to keep going. If it's too complex, running it becomes too much of a chore for their interest to be sufficient.

Player interest is another vital factor, I've found. It isn't so much that players will drop out of games that aren't interesting, but that GMs tend to be much more interested when their players are. If nobody seems especially interested or involved in the game, it's likely it'll die off.

In short, I don't think there's any magical dos or don'ts, so much as at least two potentially conflicting golden means.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 17, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »

I Can't fiqure out a leveling up mechhanic for the Oblivion RTD! I want to shoot my computer now.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 17, 2011, 06:10:14 pm »

I Can't fiqure out a leveling up mechhanic for the Oblivion RTD! I want to shoot my computer now.
Don't have a leveling up mechanic then, you don't need to incorporate everything from the game.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 17, 2011, 06:11:46 pm »

What BD said. Or you could just do kind of like what I'm doing with the CvRTD; every time you roll the highest possible success, you get a point towards advancing a level. Like if you use Blades and roll, I dunno, ten fives/sixes or whatever your Blade skill goes up by one? It could work but you'd have to keep up with it...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:40 pm »

What serious said, his level system is by far the most out-of-the-box that I've seen, and it works in awesome ways.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 17, 2011, 06:18:26 pm »

What BD said. Or you could just do kind of like what I'm doing with the CvRTD; every time you roll the highest possible success, you get a point towards advancing a level. Like if you use Blades and roll, I dunno, ten fives/sixes or whatever your Blade skill goes up by one? It could work but you'd have to keep up with it...
I decided not incorporate the skills since that is a massive amount of work. Oblivion has quite a few skills, and that would stretch my willpower until it snapped.

Wait I just got an idea instead of leveling I will introduce a different system. (Keeping it Secret)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 17, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »

. Oblivion has quite a few skills...

You should have looked at the skills for the entire TES saga, not just oblivion.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 661