Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702231 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1545 on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:28 pm »

Yes.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:09 pm »

Roll to Overshoot or something like that? That had 10 or more players?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:43 pm »

You don't remember the cluster fuck that was RTD wars? 3 Master GMs, 6 GMs, about 20 or so players? Only lasted 2 turns?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »

Oh, I was never in it since I just knew it couldn't stay alive like that. I forgot it quickly.

TolyK's post makes sense to me, now.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:50 am »

I'm (Partially) sane and I've DMed an RTD with that many people :I
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 24, 2011, 12:58:04 am »

Do you play or have ever played the game known as Dwarf Fortress?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 24, 2011, 01:27:31 am »

Aye, I have played it, never got too far. I could never figure out what to do once my fortress was well.. sufficient. Now I want to try and rectify it. Damn my 'Come, See, Want' personality.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 24, 2011, 04:32:08 am »

Do you play or have ever played the game known as Dwarf Fortress?
These are not the kitten traps you're looking for.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 24, 2011, 05:22:55 am »

That was a complete and utter disaster of massive proportions that we can never be rid of.

Shame we never got to use that 'extended overshoot' system though.
yeah... wanna do it again?  :D
You don't remember the cluster fuck that was RTD wars? 3 Master GMs, 6 GMs, about 20 or so players? Only lasted 2 turns?
Well partially from the GM's fault...  :-\
Oh, I was never in it since I just knew it couldn't stay alive like that. I forgot it quickly.

TolyK's post makes sense to me, now.
:D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 24, 2011, 09:46:48 am »

yeah... wanna do it again?
Hahahaha
No.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 24, 2011, 09:52:43 am »

Well, it could've worked, with a real GM. My opinion of TolyK's position at the head of that endeavour is in the RTD Wars thread somewhere.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 24, 2011, 09:55:15 am »

Yeah that was pretty much my main concern at the start of the whole thing, except my whole 'oh my god I will sound like an asshole' instinct kicked in.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:56:59 am by dermonster »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 24, 2011, 11:20:12 am »

I remember that thing, I had really hoped it would get off the ground properly... It really just needed a helluva lot more organization, 1 thread for each plane, 1 thread for the central arena, 1 discussion thread, and one fire-and-forget planning thread. Christ, it could have used its own sub-forum come to think of it.

Then you'd need a commonality system, I seem to remember one existing for blessings, creatures, and such but you'd need one for time and distance as well.

Ah hell... I should stop thinking about it, the nigh-impossible design inflames the part of me that loves making complex systems work. I may do it anyway for shits and giggles.

Aye, I have played it, never got too far. I could never figure out what to do once my fortress was well.. sufficient. Now I want to try and rectify it. Damn my 'Come, See, Want' personality.

As we can see the Defendant has a desire to play DF, the Prosecution rests in its case to prove Talarion insane.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 26, 2011, 01:13:27 am »

Uh, so. I have an idea for a game I'm kind of considering, and it's not necessarily an RTD, but it will likely be an RPGish thing with some similarities, so I figure I might as well talk about it here. Note that I have basically zero details planned out, and it may very well die before becoming even remotely feasible.

Basically, imagine a hybrid of Minecraft, DF, and maybe Dungeon Keeper. Players take on the role of a creature in a vaguely Minecraftish world, punching down trees or digging burrows or whatever else it takes to not be eaten alive when night falls. Then it falls and they sleep or dig or saunter out into the night and kill or be killed or whatever.

Anyway, that basic cycle continues, but with several adjustments. For one thing, Bad Things might happen from time to time, so we're not relying on extreme circumstances or careless players to weed out the waiting list too much. It's okay though, because for the most part when former players got back in they'd be able to pick up where they left off, at least to some extent.

Secondly, if you do well enough, you get migrants of whatever you are. These migrants would probably vary in effectiveness in some fashion, so it might be kind of a crapshoot as to whether you got elite warriors or sniveling peasants, but there you go. They could drastically boost the power you've got available for whatever it is you're doing, but they'd of course expect luxuries like food and shelter.

Third, players could research things to change the world. Basically, instead of tending crops or building another tower or whatever, they could devote time to researching another type of stone or animal or weapon, and then once they succeed the stone or animal exists and they can go find it or the weapon exists and they can make it, and so on.

So, that's the basic setup I'm thinking about. There's a couple things I'm not sure of, though I'd like feedback on any/all of this.

One of the major ones is the default cooperation level. Should players all be doing a DF-style communal fortress, but players can bail out and do their own thing if they want, or should everyone be off on their own, and can band together if they really want to? Should I encourage feuding/competing tribes?

Stat/skill/quality levels is another. I'm not sure if/how I intend to differentiate players with different skillsets or focuses, or how I'm going to make your migrant peons differ from each other and yourself. I'm also not positive if there'd be equipment or other items of varying quality, or how exactly that'd work if they were.

Scope/scale/etc. is a final one, though it's kind of odd. Basically, I like the idea of players commanding tribes bigger than is really reasonable to care about each individual for, but I'm not sure if/how I'd abstract that out, or even if it's a good idea or if it's just a totally different concept bleeding through.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 26, 2011, 01:31:20 am »

I like the plan, below are some questions you have and my response underneath in bold, however take or reject them at your own will.
So, that's the basic setup I'm thinking about. There's a couple things I'm not sure of, though I'd like feedback on any/all of this.

One of the major ones is the default cooperation level. Should players all be doing a DF-style communal fortress, but players can bail out and do their own thing if they want, or should everyone be off on their own, and can band together if they really want to? Should I encourage feuding/competing tribes?
A middle ground, there will be of course limited resources, and if two-or-more players agree they start as a team, but either teams should be limited, or there is still some penalty to it

Stat/skill/quality levels is another. I'm not sure if/how I intend to differentiate players with different skillsets or focuses, or how I'm going to make your migrant peons differ from each other and yourself. I'm also not positive if there'd be equipment or other items of varying quality, or how exactly that'd work if they were.
No real opinions except don't have TOO much complexity that could very well kill the game

Scope/scale/etc. is a final one, though it's kind of odd. Basically, I like the idea of players commanding tribes bigger than is really reasonable to care about each individual for, but I'm not sure if/how I'd abstract that out, or even if it's a good idea or if it's just a totally different concept bleeding through.
Treat each group working on a task as an individual creature with bonuses based on the number and quality of the members
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 661