Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702619 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1725 on: October 23, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »

The ranged weapon system I sometimes use is that the attacker rolls to see if the shot hits, then rolls to see what body part he hit, then rolls for damage. It's a lot of rolls to do though for just one ranged attack, but I thought i'd throw it out there. 

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: October 23, 2011, 12:48:49 pm »

The ranged weapon system I sometimes use is that the attacker rolls to see if the shot hits, then rolls to see what body part he hit, then rolls for damage. It's a lot of rolls to do though for just one ranged attack, but I thought i'd throw it out there. 

That's basically what I had in mind, but with a HP system instead of invididual body parts. In my own system, a dodge/to hit roll of 1 gives a 30% damage bonus, and a 3 a similar penalty, but that's not really necessary.

TolyK, sorry to be blunt, but you're the last person I'd like to see in charge of things. RTD Wars made that pretty clear.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:31 pm »

That sounds like a simple enough system.

I think the point (or USP, if you will... :( ) would have to be defined a little. Is it for different GMs to do mini-tryouts of worlds they can't (for whatever reason) do in a full game? Is it for changes of tone / world / etc? I know I for one can't get out of a certain lacking-in-seriousness tone at the moment... :(

If it's just to do mini-tryouts of worlds that, really, we'd do for a full game if we could, would we stay motivated?

And presumably the GMs would be the players would be the GMs? Or?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: October 23, 2011, 01:08:21 pm »

TolyK, sorry to be blunt, but you're the last person I'd like to see in charge of things. RTD Wars made that pretty clear.
I was mostly kidding, hence the rtd wars reference.
Although the players would be the GMs, so that wouldn't be too bad  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: October 23, 2011, 01:22:31 pm »

There's always a fair bit of sillyness in these things, but oh well. I don't think everyone has time (I don't, atleast) to host every idea they have as a full game, so mini-tryout worlds would allow them to experiment with them without having to waste too much time and energy on them. But I don't really know. It would get frustrating if the players were constantly moving between worlds, and silly if each GM began taking the plot to their own direction in a single world. Aghhhh. I didn't really clear anything up with this useless chunk of text either. The point remains unresolved.

I guess the GMs would also be the players, but what would happen to their characters when they took over? Turned into NPC's? Disappearing for that time? Still controlled by them, with obvious advantages?

@TolyK; yeah, I was wondering about that. >_>

Feel free to suggest anything that comes to mind.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:20 pm »

Yes, I do get a lot of excess ideas floating about (I currently have one about a stone age world - tech: mud, stone, and bushes...) ... so in a way mini-tryouts is a perfectly good idea. But presumably PCs would have to stay on a single world long enough to achieve something.

If there was a general plot then each world would have to in some way advance it, I guess.

As for what would happen to PCs when transforming into GMs, well. Hmm.

Bother. 'Twas a whimsical idea. Requires more thought...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: October 23, 2011, 04:05:17 pm »

Yes, I do get a lot of excess ideas floating about (I currently have one about a stone age world - tech: mud, stone, and bushes...) ... so in a way mini-tryouts is a perfectly good idea. But presumably PCs would have to stay on a single world long enough to achieve something.

If there was a general plot then each world would have to in some way advance it, I guess.

As for what would happen to PCs when transforming into GMs, well. Hmm.

Bother. 'Twas a whimsical idea. Requires more thought...
For the PCs I suggest another Player takes control, or their chracter is turned into an NPC whilst he is GMing

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: October 24, 2011, 12:39:23 pm »

So:

[P1]->[P2]->...
  V
[GM]->[Waitlist]

(When a player becomes the GM another player takes over, then once the GM period ends the GM goes on the waitlist... allows cycling of players).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: October 24, 2011, 06:16:31 pm »

If I was starting it, I would simply write the universal jump mechanism to turn the Player→GM's character into something remeniscient of a metaphorical Cthulhu— the Gate interpretation. Their character's being would be temporarily turned into an higher being that can offer access to the sorts of universes they're from, and the entire reason they were picked by the main higher being (first GM) to go on this McGuffinpieces hunt was because each of them was a good match for a piece's resting place. So, each player would be picking their universe and character together, then just as their character gets stength's and weaknesses, so does what they are allowed to GM. These can be simple rules, such as "don't grant bonuses unless character has taken damage to pay for it" or "grant a bonus for every action, but randomly cut away 5/6ths of said bonuses at the next jump", and more complex ones such as "no visible railroading" or "plot must include major themes set down by source work" (such as a Tolkein work would include much "evil destroys itself" and "glory isn't all it's cracked up to be"). It is, probably, asking a lot of the turning GMs as far as imagination goes, but I doubt it will matter much once it all inevitably dissolves into madness.

Perhaps the first GM keeps making snarky comments with a big stick as the game goes on?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: October 25, 2011, 03:55:54 am »

Very good Nivm, I have to say.

Unfortunately I am a bit demotivated by, amongst other things, the probable death of my first-born RtD, and although I would be interested in being involved in this idea, don't have the heart for it right now.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: October 25, 2011, 04:18:03 pm »

So... I have an idea.

It's inspired by a Raymond Briggs children's book called Ug the Stone Age Boy Genius in which Ug wonders exactly why he and all his tribe have to go round wearing trousers made out of granite (answer: it's the Stone Age, idiot), and so tries to invent something... nicer. It's excellent.

So my first (RTD-related) thought was "awesome, the Stone Age", closely followed by the idea that 4 PCs could be involved in a quest to somehow upgrade their tribe's technology (their trouser-technology, in the first instance). Without necessarily being silly, it wouldn't be so serious as, you know, saving the world and stuff, and would have a clearly defined goal with freedom to reach it (I think).

And then, thanks to SC, I also thought, aha - could this be done by two competing teams of three? Each team trying to invent and construct non-granite trousers (in this particular case) before the other? Without any direct PvP violence...

Any thoughts?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: October 26, 2011, 08:55:41 pm »

After playing a game of Paranoia for the first time, I feel a strong urge to make a Paranoia RTD. I obviously will tell the player's very little about the game itself, and there will be many many deaths.

Any interest?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: October 26, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »

Hmm. I kinda stumbled across a system (On /TG/ nonetheless) and I actually think it would be pretty intresting to use. It was for a Naruto Quest and heres the skinny of it. Its a D10 Dice Pool system where you get a set amount of D10's for your rank and then additional for the skill that you are testing, A success is each roll below the skill. Now, I have some ideas popping around in my mind but first of. But first off. Is it a good system?
Raggle Fraggle

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: October 27, 2011, 12:06:46 am »

After playing a game of Paranoia for the first time, I feel a strong urge to make a Paranoia RTD. I obviously will tell the player's very little about the game itself, and there will be many many deaths.

Any interest?

Quite Interested.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: October 27, 2011, 12:33:08 am »

Bd: yes.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 661