Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702485 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2595 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:22 am »

Would you need to know much about the background to be able to play?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:06 am »

Would you need to know much about the background to be able to play?

It would probably help massively. Like even just reading through the first act. But I suppose it's not a requirement.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: December 01, 2011, 11:11:01 am »

I guess reading the first act just so you know what's coming for you would be enough, yeah.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:13 am »

Last thread had all sorts of shenanigans, and I kinda liked the character I had, partially due to *wink wink nudge nudge in Darvi's direction*
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »

I've been working on my original (Albeit, crappy) RTD idea, and...It just didn't click in for me. I needed something simpler, something faster, something More Fun.

So, enter Zombie Survival RTD. Do note that this is, once again, a very rough lay-out. I'd love if anybody told me what they think of this. Regardless of opinions, I will eventually be starting this RTD.

Zombie Survival RTD
(Kinda a wall of probably badly-written text.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:01 pm »

That makes me think of Die2Nite a bit. But it sounds fun :) Though you should most likely lengthen the phases.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: December 01, 2011, 10:38:21 pm »

Firstly, the zombie setting is overdone to death. Secondly, it would get pretty boring after awhile. It will just be practically the same thing everyday/night, "Go get good stuff, come back kill zombies. Rinse wash and repeat. You have to have some kind of long term goal other than just surviving.

Perhaps have Day time last more than one turn, but throw in an objective for them to finish. If they finish it in time they get some kind of bonus that helps them defend themselves at night time, maybe they can go scout out for different building locations with their own pro's and cons?

Basically, just make it more than "Stay in house and go kill zombies."
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: December 01, 2011, 10:40:47 pm »

Perhaps it'd involve discovering how the zombies turned up in the first place? *Didn't have time to actually read it*
Sadly it probably wouldn't interest me overmuch, unless it was some kind of crazy apocalyptic setting with lashings of black humour, ala The Last Christmas. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:24 pm »

Yeah, looks alright, but not too fond of the "survive as long as possible" bit in this case.

What exactly did you mean by More Fun?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 01, 2011, 10:43:15 pm »

Firstly, the zombie setting is overdone to death. Secondly, it would get pretty boring after awhile. It will just be practically the same thing everyday/night, "Go get good stuff, come back kill zombies. Rinse wash and repeat. You have to have some kind of long term goal other than just surviving.

Perhaps have Day time last more than one turn, but throw in an objective for them to finish. If they finish it in time they get some kind of bonus that helps them defend themselves at night time, maybe they can go scout out for different building locations with their own pro's and cons?

Basically, just make it more than "Stay in house and go kill zombies."

Long term goal: You will die. The players just have to see if they can survive. They'll be other bonuses, secret endings. Maybe they'll find a way to escape, secret tunnels under the house or a helicopter. It's kind of like an Arena game, where people die fast and hard. Thanks for the opinion though! Also, don't forget: Players get two actions per day, so...I'll take note of the idea for other houses although!

That makes me think of Die2Nite a bit. But it sounds fun :) Though you should most likely lengthen the phases.

Yes...It was inspired by Die2Nite :P.

Perhaps it'd involve discovering how the zombies turned up in the first place? *Didn't have time to actually read it*
Sadly it probably wouldn't interest me overmuch, unless it was some kind of crazy apocalyptic setting with lashings of black humour, ala The Last Christmas. :P

Sad to hear that :<

Yeah, looks alright, but not too fond of the "survive as long as possible" bit in this case.

What exactly did you mean by More Fun?

I like having a game where everybody is going to die. I find it so much more fun, and it's quick, too. More fun for me, a la no backstory or bunches of dialogue. Ugh.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:51 pm »

Hm... do you dislike dialogue/backstory in general, or just having to write it?

Also, any preference for settings regarding everyone dying, or is it all the same so long as there's bodies strewn everywhere? And, when you say "everyone is going to die," how quickly do you mean?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:52 pm »

Hm... do you dislike dialogue/backstory in general, or just having to write it?

Also, any preference for settings regarding everyone dying, or is it all the same so long as there's bodies strewn everywhere? And, when you say "everyone is going to die," how quickly do you mean?

Well, it really depends. The RTD that I have in mind will be extremely chaotic...The random events can either be minor, or utterly devastating. One of them is where a gigantic Devourer (Kinda like the big worms on Terraria) attacks the house, which initiates a sort of Final Fantasy boss scene. It won't be just "Oh, you failed today cause undeads got in and you died, game over", players will generally die in a cool way. Well, most of the time.

Maybe they'll find a secret entrance hidden somewhere in the house, which leads to somewhere else. They can explore the outside, to locate supplies or AI survivors, maybe even finding a better place to say (Kudos to Bdthemag for that one!)

I want it so that everyone works together, against nearly impossible odds. When they start to fall, they can do whatever they want; - Chaos Mode. In Chaos Mode, the players may do anything that's physically possible, be it bashing in someone's head or high-tailing it out of there. Maybe they can find a good ending, a la helicopter rescue. I don't quite know, it'll take time.

And I hate dialogue/backstory in general. I don't like writing it...I absolutely adore fantasy novels, but I can't stand reading things like that on-line. Probably because I'm bad with words.

Thanks for replying! :P

Edit: Who knows? Maybe on the second night, the random event will roll something bad, resulting in an utter mess. A normal game could last up to 6-7 days/nights, possibly more. Every subsequent night will be harder than the last...And, resources are dwindling.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: December 01, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »

See, again Dialogue and Writing greatly(and I mean GREATLY) improve the quality of an RTD. Take a look at one of Draignean's RTD's sometime, the writing is wonderful and keeps the players interested. You can't just expect the mechanics alone to keep the player's interested.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 01, 2011, 11:13:14 pm »

See, again Dialogue and Writing greatly(and I mean GREATLY) improve the quality of an RTD. Take a look at one of Draignean's RTD's sometime, the writing is wonderful and keeps the players interested. You can't just expect the mechanics alone to keep the player's interested.

Hah, no, of course not. But his (and most other) RTD's are things that take time, and a dedicated player base. Look at Monk12's Arena RTD, there's not much dialogue in that, and it's fun. I see your point though...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 01, 2011, 11:26:11 pm »

Personally, I'd prefer such an RTD set in space, either orbit or adrift.

For one thing, everything's more varied. The stuff you can use/find is more varied, the foes are more varied, the things that can go horribly, horribly right and/or wrong are more varied... there's few things more hilarious than a bunch of lunatics with no common sense flailing around in an extremely complicated vessel located in the depths of space.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 661