Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702543 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3150 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:36 am »

A lot of the tips probably apply for regular forum games as well, but I think there are a few RTD-specific tips as well. For example; don't be afraid to look through existing RTDs for help with your system! Most have atleast parts of it explained in their first posts, and you can ask the creators if anything's unclear.

Various storyline, setting, mechanics etc. tips apply for FR&RP as well, but should be included anyhow.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:29 am »

Do you think there's anything we can do about that? What about some sort of "How to run an RTD" sticky? Even if it'd be fairly obvious and short, just having a "Here's how you can do this!" thing sitting up there might convince people to give it a shot.
We could probably still benefit from this.
Yeh, I guess so. But I'd imagine PMing Toady would be a good idea to get it stickied if it's good enough. I also suggest it have multiple ways because there's just no best way to GM an RTD.

Anyway, my suggestions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could the FGRp forum be used to somehow draw players in to the rtd forum a bit more? Cos really, who wouldn't want to play a good rtd?
That would be advertizing. Personally, I don't think that's very nice.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:13:01 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:06 am »

Do you think there's anything we can do about that? What about some sort of "How to run an RTD" sticky? Even if it'd be fairly obvious and short, just having a "Here's how you can do this!" thing sitting up there might convince people to give it a shot.
We could probably still benefit from this.
Yeh, I guess so. But I'd imagine PMing Toady would be a good idea to get it stickied if it's good enough. I also suggest it have multiple ways because there's just no best way to GM an RTD.

Anyway, my suggestions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could the FGRp forum be used to somehow draw players in to the rtd forum a bit more? Cos really, who wouldn't want to play a good rtd?
That would be advertizing. Personally, I don't think that's very nice.

Good suggestions. And I didn't mean advertising, and I don't either.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:50 am »

How the hell would you draw in players in ways other than advertizing?

Anything at all that could be used to attract them is advertizing. Posting a thread? Advertizing. Posting a post? Advertizing. Making a note at the end of a post? Advertizing. PM? Advertizing. Putting it in an image? Advertizing.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: January 04, 2012, 07:18:53 am »

I hadn't really thought of using anything other than vaguely positive thinking, really, I hadn't thought through the idea at all.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:21 am »

Anyway, my suggestions.
I don't think a FAQ format is very useful, especially when so much of it is subjective or vague. We want something to cause people who haven't really thought of GMing before to consider it, not something to help people who have already decided they want to but have questions.

As for advertising... we could potentially advertise in, say, the Happy Thread just by mentioning a forum game we like, and there might be other ways (sig links are an obvious one) to mention games in other sections. I don't think mentioning the RTD subforum in the general RP section would be very useful even if we could figure out how, though, because the subforum link is right up there at all times. If they're not playing RTDs, it's probably because they've checked the section and found it lacking.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: January 04, 2012, 07:42:11 am »

I don't think a FAQ format is very useful, especially when so much of it is subjective or vague. We want something to cause people who haven't really thought of GMing before to consider it, not something to help people who have already decided they want to but have questions.
A FAQ is very useful in my opinion. If I'm new, and I'm looking for a specific answer, I open up the Find function and look for it. Rather than having to go through a mess of text of other stuff I'm not interested in just to find what I'm looking for. Of course, that's just me.

And, the problem with being specific: Which style do you chose to represent an example? Do you, for example, take my format? Or do you take, say, Dwarmin's format? Which do you decide is better? This may not sound important, but remember that this will be a thread that basically everyone new will look at and, naturally, they will copy the format thinking it's the best/average/what's expected.

As for advertising... we could potentially advertise in, say, the Happy Thread just by mentioning a forum game we like, and there might be other ways (sig links are an obvious one) to mention games in other sections. I don't think mentioning the RTD subforum in the general RP section would be very useful even if we could figure out how, though, because the subforum link is right up there at all times. If they're not playing RTDs, it's probably because they've checked the section and found it lacking.
Advertizing in the Happy thread is walking a thin line in my opinion.

Sigs, I'm fine with as that's your stuff. Still advertizing, but it's your stuff and you have full rights to it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:44:12 am by Tarran »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:26 am »

And, the problem with being specific: Which style do you chose to represent an example? Do you, for example, take my format? Or do you take, say, Dwarmin's format? Which do you decide is better? This may not sound important, but remember that this will be a thread that basically everyone new will look at and, naturally, they will copy the format thinking it's the best/average/what's expected.

Hmm, good point, and it wouldn't be good to have any particular style prevalent.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: January 04, 2012, 08:12:03 am »

A FAQ is very useful in my opinion. If I'm new, and I'm looking for a specific answer, I open up the Find function and look for it. Rather than having to go through a mess of text of other stuff I'm not interested in just to find what I'm looking for. Of course, that's just me.
That's just what I'm saying though. If you're looking for a specific answer, you've probably already decided that you want to do this whole GMing thing and are just looking for pointers/easy answers. We want to rope in people who wouldn't really have thought of it before.

With regards to masses of text, that's more of an organizational issue. A table of contents or labeled spoilers would accomplish the same thing.

A skewed example is still probably better than a vague handwave. My point is that "How long before you should auto a player? Depends, but anywhere from this to that has been used at some point in RTD history" isn't really useful, though.

Advertizing in the Happy thread is walking a thin line in my opinion.
Perhaps "advertising" is a strong word. Or, more specifically, perhaps general advertising is a strong phrase. I don't think they'd mind if someone came in and said "Man, this latest turn in this game made me happy, I wish we had more players/GMs though," or "I'm glad I finally worked out the ruleset/found time/got such good feedback from the players in this game I made, more people should do this."

Bare minimum, I know they wouldn't mind if you just popped in to say "Laughed like a madman because of some forum game. Was playing a mage, blah blah guy's head exploded" without any further insinuation.

Of course, finding moments significant enough to make you want to post in the happy thread might be difficult, or at least difficult to do honestly, but it's not like we'd need or want to do this frequently.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: January 04, 2012, 04:14:37 pm »

Personally, I'd love to run an RTD, but I'm absolutely terrified of how bad I am at resolving actions over more then, say, 2, maybe 2 and a half sentences. And noone would be very satisfied with that, I'm sure. Also, I'm pretty much tapped for ideas at the moment, since any inspiration is being channeled off into a D&D (3.5 ed) campaign i'm running on saturdays.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: January 04, 2012, 04:31:26 pm »

That's just what I'm saying though. If you're looking for a specific answer, you've probably already decided that you want to do this whole GMing thing and are just looking for pointers/easy answers. We want to rope in people who wouldn't really have thought of it before.
If people haven't really thought of it before, then what super awesome line is going to make them think about it in a thread like we're talking about?

With regards to masses of text, that's more of an organizational issue. A table of contents or labeled spoilers would accomplish the same thing.
Perhaps. Perhaps.

A skewed example is still probably better than a vague handwave. My point is that "How long before you should auto a player? Depends, but anywhere from this to that has been used at some point in RTD history" isn't really useful, though.
How is it not useful? It shows that there are options, lots of them. The only way it wouldn't be useful is if the guy was massively indecisive. If he is indecisive, he's going to have a lot of trouble anyways regardless of what you do.

And also, skewing the example messes with everyone who uses a different way. Say, a club for making T-shirts suddenly makes a tutorial on how to make red shirts with an X on them, taking the sample from a single person. Well, everyone is going to start wearing red shirts with an X because that's what they're taught and because that's what they think would be the standard. What do you think those guys who wear other shirts think? Will they be happy? Not really. Will they be upset? Yes, even if they won't admit it or they won't feel a whole lot upset, there will be a feeling in them that they're out of place or that their style apparently wasn't the best. At best they would be slightly happy that they have new members.

So great, you teach everyone a new method on how to do stuff. But you've upset everyone who uses a different method. I mean, if you were to use Dwarmin's method I would be somewhat upset, I'll admit it. If you used my method, I would be happy but really I'd wonder what everyone else thinks.

Perhaps "advertising" is a strong word. Or, more specifically, perhaps general advertising is a strong phrase. I don't think they'd mind if someone came in and said "Man, this latest turn in this game made me happy, I wish we had more players/GMs though," or "I'm glad I finally worked out the ruleset/found time/got such good feedback from the players in this game I made, more people should do this."

Bare minimum, I know they wouldn't mind if you just popped in to say "Laughed like a madman because of some forum game. Was playing a mage, blah blah guy's head exploded" without any further insinuation.

Of course, finding moments significant enough to make you want to post in the happy thread might be difficult, or at least difficult to do honestly, but it's not like we'd need or want to do this frequently.
Well, if you want to do it, I won't complain.

Personally, I'd love to run an RTD, but I'm absolutely terrified of how bad I am at resolving actions over more then, say, 2, maybe 2 and a half sentences. And noone would be very satisfied with that, I'm sure. Also, I'm pretty much tapped for ideas at the moment, since any inspiration is being channeled off into a D&D (3.5 ed) campaign i'm running on saturdays.
Well, two things you've got to do, then.

1: Stop being scared at how you might fail.
2: Get some more goddamn inspiration. :P

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3161 on: January 04, 2012, 06:29:21 pm »

I think it would be best to encourage new GMs to read other RTDs. That's the best place to get inspiration for game mechanics and decide if you really want to be a GM. My ultimate advice would be to study as many (good) RTDs as possible, swiping the mechanics you like the most. GM a few games, and your unique style will develop on its own.

Anyway:

In the far future, the SPACE-economy is dominated by a new and dangerous commodity: Robo-Whales. Prized for their blubber and valuable cybernetic implants but feared for their fierce combat abilities, these creatures of unknown origin stalk the channels of SPACE and attack traveling merchants and passenger ships.

In this time of crisis and potential fortune and fame, a new breed of bounty hunter has appeared: the Freelance Robo-Whale Hunter. Traveling in high-tech SPACE-submarines and equipped with photon harpoons and laser cutlasses, these rogue vigilantes traverse the vast reaches of SPACE, hunting Robo-Whales in search of fortune.

Meanwhile, the insidious forces of Techno-PETA patrol throughout the galaxy, battling against the Hunters in their attempt to preserve the Robo-Whale species. But what is the real motive of this mysterious organization, and the true purpose of the enigmatic Robo-Whales?

Find out in...

Robo-Whale Hunter 3000: The RTD
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: January 04, 2012, 09:03:49 pm »

I do this all the time, nobody's ever complained about it. I even get some players that don't sign up for, say, Dwarmin or Draignean's games, so apparently some people even prefer it, or prefer the update speed/concepts that come with it.

If people haven't really thought of it before, then what super awesome line is going to make them think about it in a thread like we're talking about?
Anything that insinuates running an RTD is something anyone can just do, and/or anything that looks interesting enough to read just because. Personally, I think a guide fulfills both those conditions better than a FAQ.

How is it not useful? It shows that there are options, lots of them. The only way it wouldn't be useful is if the guy was massively indecisive. If he is indecisive, he's going to have a lot of trouble anyways regardless of what you do.
Maybe, but then that'd mainly be useful for the sorts of never considered it types I'm talking about anyway, since anyone with an inkling of what they're doing is just going to get "Do whatever you want" out of it.

And also, skewing the example messes with everyone who uses a different way. Say, a club for making T-shirts suddenly makes a tutorial on how to make red shirts with an X on them, taking the sample from a single person. Well, everyone is going to start wearing red shirts with an X because that's what they're taught and because that's what they think would be the standard. What do you think those guys who wear other shirts think? Will they be happy? Not really. Will they be upset? Yes, even if they won't admit it or they won't feel a whole lot upset, there will be a feeling in them that they're out of place or that their style apparently wasn't the best. At best they would be slightly happy that they have new members.

So great, you teach everyone a new method on how to do stuff. But you've upset everyone who uses a different method. I mean, if you were to use Dwarmin's method I would be somewhat upset, I'll admit it. If you used my method, I would be happy but really I'd wonder what everyone else thinks.
I don't think mentioning examples as a starting point is needlessly skewed. Sure, there's infinite ways to do everything, but providing a simple base example is probably better than rattling off an example of every style we think we've got or giving a vague handwave of "figure something out." If it's appropriate I could see mentioning several different examples or mention that however you want to do it is fine every so often, but the point is to get someone started, not dictate the specifics of all new GMs.

I think it would be best to encourage new GMs to read other RTDs. That's the best place to get inspiration for game mechanics and decide if you really want to be a GM. My ultimate advice would be to study as many (good) RTDs as possible, swiping the mechanics you like the most. GM a few games, and your unique style will develop on its own.
This may be true. Perhaps a guide's first piece of advice should be to read RTDs you like and ruthlessly steal from them.

Find out in...

Robo-Whale Hunter 3000: The RTD
This is awesome, but strikes me as one of those silly, very short-lived RTDs. :(

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »

Is a story important?
YES, a very, very basic story is a MUST if anyone is to know what the hell they are doing or what they should do. Complex stories are not as important, but at the very least a "X is doing Y, you are a Z, and you must stop X from doing Y" or your RTD will have, at best, a rocky start. This is all excepting RTDs that are just quick deathmatches of some sort.[/spoiler]
You just gave me an idea. ... Meh.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: January 04, 2012, 09:20:42 pm »

I know! A 'How to Run an RTD' RTD, where people sign up and... I don't know! I fail at GMing, myself. I'll take notes! :P

You attempt to post an update, [6] but come up with a great new mechanic for your game! It's a bit clunky though, and now all future updates will take twice as long!
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 661