Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702405 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3705 on: March 16, 2012, 05:31:44 pm »

There has been discussion. And debate. Okay mostly just everyone agreeing with each other, but still. An issue has come to the fore, namely the issue that the great RtDs of turns past have not received the recognition they deserve. This is why I plan on starting:

The RTD Library

Our esteemed archive monk has done a great job with The Hall of Legends, but it is a place to celebrate the tales of Dwarf Fortress. The RtDs of yore do not belong there. We need a place to honor the greatest our subforum has to offer. It may also be a good place to put an introduction to Roll to Dodge, as new GMs and players alike should be handed some required reading in addition to learning the basics.

So, what do you think? If this thread is to exist, what would you like to see in it? Just the RtDs of yore, or a basic listing of the rules and a few tips in addition to that? Maybe even links to other required reading and GM tools?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: March 16, 2012, 05:33:03 pm »

That's a great idea, Gatleos! We haven't talked about it before and I'm lavishing praise upon it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: March 16, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »

Good idea is best idea!

A few rules should do it too. Just a basic starter kit, yeah, and maybe a tip or two.

\Who will run such a place?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:17 pm »

I've been meaning to write that "How to GM an RTD" guide for a while now, which if successful would obviate most of the need for a games library to do the same. I'd still be in favor of a brief introductory paragraph, just in case someone wanders in with no idea what anything is, though.

As for the library itself, I fully approve.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: March 16, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »

I've been meaning to write that "How to GM an RTD" guide for a while now.
Please, please, do.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: March 16, 2012, 06:46:29 pm »

While Gatleos has a decent idea, we have to ask Toady if he'd sticky the thread. Because when someone tried to make an RTD list, it just died off into the depths of the forums.

As for rules, I suggest only what comes as standard with most RTDs. I believe way back in the thread I mentioned why I have this stance.

Anyway, a quick idea that came to mind that I'm not going to do an RTD for but someone else might get an idea: Roll to Dodge your Evil Clone.

Basically, the player has two characters: The main one, and the almost perfect copy evil clone. The player has two goals: As the original, to convince law enforcement that they are the original. As the evil clone, to kill the original without attracting attention. Achieve one goal and you win. Achieving both is not an option (since it's easy to get both when you're controlling both sides).

While playing both, they are to roleplay both characters as if they were their main character, not giving either one bias.

Alternatively, one person could play the original, and another the clone. They are to agree on what the original character would do on every action, since, well, clone. Both have of the one goals mentioned above.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3711 on: March 16, 2012, 06:55:16 pm »

Would anyone strongly object if I attempt to be the curator of said RTD library?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:48 pm »

Basically, the player has two characters:

Alternatively, one person could play the original, and another the clone. They are to agree on what the original character would do on every action, since, well, clone. Both have of the one goals mentioned above.
Having one player control both characters strikes me as off for two reasons. One, they'd know too much about what's happening, so while the dice could add some amusement, it probably wouldn't really be much of a "game" in the strictest sense.

Two, since each player's goals are self-contained, there's not a lot of reason to interact too much with other players.

Having each player paired with a clone/original could work better, but still seems a bit dull and overfocused to me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3713 on: March 16, 2012, 07:17:35 pm »

Basically, the player has two characters:

Having one player control both characters strikes me as off for two reasons. One, they'd know too much about what's happening, so while the dice could add some amusement, it probably wouldn't really be much of a "game" in the strictest sense.

Two, since each player's goals are self-contained, there's not a lot of reason to interact too much with other players.

Having each player paired with a clone/original could work better, but still seems a bit dull and overfocused to me.
What if one player is the original, another is the clone, and only those two players and the GM know which is which? You could easily build a system around that, where both are trying to convince everyone else that they are the original. I'm not sure how well a mixture of RtD and mafia-like social game would do, though. It depends on the implementation.
Would anyone strongly object if I attempt to be the curator of said RTD library?
Well I was planning on starting it, but you can if you want. :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: March 16, 2012, 07:19:18 pm »

*Was secretly hoping to do it*
* dermonster walks away, dejected.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3715 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »

Clearly, there must be a competitive RtD to determine who runs it.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: March 16, 2012, 07:24:36 pm »

Indubitably!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: March 16, 2012, 07:26:43 pm »

Do a rock-paper-scissors RTD. Roll a 1, get a cramp and automatically lose the round. Roll a 6, the other player blows up on the spot and he automatically loses. Otherwise, normal rules apply.

Best 2 out of 3.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: March 16, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »

Okay, some schmuck that isn't one of the two of us, roll two dice and put em here. me left him right.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3719 on: March 16, 2012, 07:34:01 pm »

3 5
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 661