Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702490 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3885 on: March 28, 2012, 03:05:45 am »

Generally, adding to rolls to simulate skill increases is a bad idea. Doing it once can work, like if you give a +1 to someone "proficient" in a skill. But if a legendary character has a 50% chance of rolling at least a 6, you're really not any better off unless you modify the definition of an overshoot. I think Sean Mirrsen's skill system is the best one I've seen (the skill level determines the table to use, and has a base value of three):
Quote from: Rules of Madness
The table of outcomes is determined thus:
(Die Value):[Roll Value]-Outcome;

(D1):[1]-Epic Fail.
(D2):[1]-EF;[2]-Fail.
(D3):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-Partial Success.
(D4):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-Success.
(D5):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-S;[5]-Overshot.
(D6):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-S;[5]-Epic Success;[6]-OS.

Above (D6), the outcome table is expanded by padding Success outcomes inbetween Partial and Epic Successes.
Thus, for instance, a roll of (D10) will look like this:

(D10):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4-8]-S;[9]-ES;[10]-OS.

As a rule of thumb, the severity of the overshots and epic fails will depend on the value of the die being rolled - so getting a [5] out of a (D5) is a much milder overshot than a [10] out of a (D10)
As for a 1 in 100,000 chance of the game ending due to apocalypse every turn, I find that just as colossally stupid as I did back when Derm suggested it. The concept of extra overshoot tables is alright, but I prefer massive player failure (up to and including important NPC death and plot derailment) to be a product of very specific circumstances combined with crummy rolls. You shouldn't be able to accidentally drop a nuke on a major city because you rolled a [1] while tying your shoes.
Spoiler: Spam Army (click to show/hide)
This is the kind of RTD I'd like to see right now, and I'd immediately join it. When I had the idea it was more like Roll to Be The Guy, but any setting works. Normally I'd say the setting doesn't matter as much in a high-concept RTD like this, but it may just be the most important thing in this case since the players won't be in it for long. It would be all about the writing and tone. The players' deaths must be hilariously brutal.

Also:
What's a guy gotta do to ruin a mans life, explode his balls?
just gonna set that down right there.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:13 am »

Heh, Roll to be the guy is the perfect setting for that.

By the way, what if we combine the concept with Paranoia's extra lives system? That is, keep the ridiculously high fatality rate, but give each player 6 lives or so to start off with before they get a game over and waitlisted. That would let things cycle reasonably quickly while still letting each player last for at least a few rolls.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: March 28, 2012, 08:45:25 pm »

Oooh, that skill system is pretty slick. Thanks for digging that up, Gat!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: March 28, 2012, 08:53:04 pm »

May I suggest the 1000 Devious Traps thread from the D&D forums for whoever decides to run spam army. There was some nice stuff in there.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: March 28, 2012, 10:23:42 pm »

Spoiler: Spam Army (click to show/hide)
This is the kind of RTD I'd like to see right now, and I'd immediately join it. When I had the idea it was more like Roll to Be The Guy, but any setting works. Normally I'd say the setting doesn't matter as much in a high-concept RTD like this, but it may just be the most important thing in this case since the players won't be in it for long. It would be all about the writing and tone. The players' deaths must be hilariously brutal.
*Cough*

The army is recruiting. We are prepared to die for the greater good. Our people are falling by our side, but we shall not falter in our cause.

For the Army.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: March 29, 2012, 06:42:19 pm »

Me and Skyrunner were discussing in on IRC, and we think it would be funny if we all (who volunteer to) ran a "joke turn" of some kind in their RTD for April Fools. It wouldn't have to actually happen in-story. Maybe like a turn where the characters' worst fears come true.

Or I may just end up doing a funny comic.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: March 29, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »

So I was thinking of doing an illustrated RTD based on some colonists trying to survive on a frontier world. I've got the background, style and the first complication planned but I have a couple of problems. I don't know how I can fit the players into it all. I mean ideally there'd be a doctor, mercenary, mechanic and a manager and turns would be played as entire days (less if something exciting is happening) but I don't know how I could make it interesting for them to do their jobs while solving the current problem.
I guess I'm just focusing on methods creating conflict and tension without focusing on the base mechanics. Any ideas.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: March 29, 2012, 08:25:43 pm »

Me and Skyrunner were discussing in on IRC, and we think it would be funny if we all (who volunteer to) ran a "joke turn" of some kind in their RTD for April Fools. It wouldn't have to actually happen in-story. Maybe like a turn where the characters' worst fears come true.

Or I may just end up doing a funny comic.
In at least one April Fools' past, when I actually had an RTD running, I considered this. I was thinking more in the style of, erm, I can't remember, but there was an RTD that basically ran a joke turn simulated several hundred turns ahead in which Toady was playing. Something about Quantum Bison and ridiculous attacks. Tape elementals?

Gatleos, was that you? I think it may have been you. I'm thinking it was probably you.

Anyway, alternatively someone could just start up a joke RTD. And then, as is the way of such things, it'd become too popular and well-thought-out to die and you'd get Roll To Twilight Fanfiction (Turn 40: Cyborgs In Love).

In somewhat (albeit tangentially) related news, I need help. I'm trying to piece together what is more or less a Shonen RTD; cinematic, descriptive, and ideally somewhat freeform (though arguably- only arguably- more serious than many Shonen works are). As an example, I'm strongly considering giving bonuses for describing actions more thoroughly than "I hit him again," Exalted-style.

Trouble is, I can't make a system work. I keep fiddling with it and it just doesn't function the way I want it to, usually because it's too simple. Which would have been an advantage and was somewhat intentional, but it just doesn't provide enough variety to be meaningful, I think.

So, what I'm now considering is using my mage game system for it. For those not familiar:

Spoiler: Fuckin Wizards (click to show/hide)

As you can see, it's a bit long, and arguably a bit complex, and for what I'd had in mind, I'm not sure the myriad arbitrary skills approach is ideal; I can't help but shake the feeling you'd end up with an Adept Heart User who's also a Novice Dodger and Dabbling Cook, which while amusing, doesn't necessarily accomplish much.

So, my primary question is rather simple: Would this work for an RTD whose focus is largely on descriptive action scenes? There would be noncombat stuff as well, but if the system doesn't describe people being pounded out of the air by a giant purple energy hammer well, I've probably failed.

My secondary questions are the usual- if it would or wouldn't work, would it work well or fail by a lot? What should I do instead? Any features or comments you think I absolutely need to add or avoid or hear about?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: March 29, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »

In at least one April Fools' past, when I actually had an RTD running, I considered this. I was thinking more in the style of, erm, I can't remember, but there was an RTD that basically ran a joke turn simulated several hundred turns ahead in which Toady was playing. Something about Quantum Bison and ridiculous attacks. Tape elementals?

GeneRTD if I remember right. It was it's last turn. Shame.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: March 29, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »

So I was thinking of doing an illustrated RTD based on some colonists trying to survive on a frontier world. I've got the background, style and the first complication planned but I have a couple of problems. I don't know how I can fit the players into it all. I mean ideally there'd be a doctor, mercenary, mechanic and a manager and turns would be played as entire days (less if something exciting is happening) but I don't know how I could make it interesting for them to do their jobs while solving the current problem.
I guess I'm just focusing on methods creating conflict and tension without focusing on the base mechanics. Any ideas.
Having thought about this a bit, it feels like you have one of two problems.

The first would be that you already know what kinds of characters you want, which means there's not actually any room for the players to make their own and do their own things. As a result, there's no actual game until a crisis occurs and then there's still not that much of a game.

The second, which I think is more what you were getting at, is that you've got this great plan for catastrophe and drama, but don't have any idea how churning butter or whatever in between crises could be interesting.

If it's the latter, you've probably got two choices. The first is to make non-crises interesting by giving players more freedom and power- in other words, churning butter can be interesting because they decided to churn butter and have plans for this butter. The second would be to cut out the parts that don't matter entirely- skip from one exciting plot point to the next, with implied off-screen butter-churning and such in between where it doesn't matter but explains some things.

I'd go with Option 1, personally, but Option 2 is certainly easier. If you're experiencing the former problem after all, I'm less certain what to tell you.

That sounds about right. Also damn.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: March 29, 2012, 08:49:03 pm »

IronyOwl, when you commented on my upcoming RTD being "shonen", I thought you were criticizing it negatively. I think I may have been wrong.
Also, I think I'll use the d10 in my setting. Either that or sticking to d6.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:51:13 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »

That sounds about right. Also damn.
Actually no, it was penguinofhonor's adventure RTD.

IronyOwl, when you commented on my upcoming RTD being "shonen", I thought you were criticizing it negatively. I think I may have been wrong.
I don't consider shonen to be a bad word, no. That particular usage was just referring to the ridiculously over-the-top combat and premise, not a thin plot or negative intended audience or whatever.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: March 29, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »

I don't consider shonen to be a bad word, no. That particular usage was just referring to the ridiculously over-the-top combat and premise, not a thin plot or negative intended audience or whatever.
Thank you very much for clarifying that, I feel more confident now.
Also, now the students will probably enter as McNobodies. No prestigious families, nothing. Yay for having your ass kicked in the beginning. It will make getting stronger more delicious.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: March 30, 2012, 01:04:52 am »

So, would people be interested in a Minecraft themed RTD? It (at least via my current ideas) would end up as a fairly simple RTD, with the main draw being the complete freedom to PvP or PvE as you choose. I'd be playing it fairly by the book, so to speak. So for instance, people's first few actions will probably be related to gathering wood, finding coal,and making a small shelter. Alternatively, I could just start it at the "You've survived your first night" point so players could jump right into more interesting things. The day/night cycle would probably be 3 turns (more/less depending on the various actions), and much like in game, equipment/traps would play a huge role. (For instance, I don't care if you roll perfectly, you aren't finding diamonds without a mine down to bedrock first, and someone unarmed vs diamond equipment has effectively no chance of winning.) Player death would be treated much like it would in the actual game (loss of equipment, respawn at base), and as a side note you could most definitely grief people (Although turnabout is fair play, so when they band together and come after you...)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: March 30, 2012, 01:12:59 am »

So, would people be interested in a Minecraft themed RTD? It (at least via my current ideas) would end up as a fairly simple RTD, with the main draw being the complete freedom to PvP or PvE as you choose. I'd be playing it fairly by the book, so to speak. So for instance, people's first few actions will probably be related to gathering wood, finding coal,and making a small shelter. Alternatively, I could just start it at the "You've survived your first night" point so players could jump right into more interesting things. The day/night cycle would probably be 3 turns (more/less depending on the various actions), and much like in game, equipment/traps would play a huge role. (For instance, I don't care if you roll perfectly, you aren't finding diamonds without a mine down to bedrock first, and someone unarmed vs diamond equipment has effectively no chance of winning.) Player death would be treated much like it would in the actual game (loss of equipment, respawn at base), and as a side note you could most definitely grief people (Although turnabout is fair play, so when they band together and come after you...)

There would be mechanics on supplies and resources, like how much of one material can make what, to make it easier for those who haven't played minecraft.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 661