Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702537 times)

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

So, random idea. Looking back on Roll to RTD, (which I'd been checking mainly due to the hilarity of important NPC's being immolated beyond recognition without saying a word), I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the similar idea of a game which effectively runs two RTD's at once, but more interconnected.

That is to say, there'd be a real world and a cyberworld, and you control one character in each. However, what you do in the real world might cause changes in the cyberworld, and certain actions in the cyberworld could very well help you out in the real world. (For instance, you might be under siege by robots in the real world, and rather than escape or fight your way through, try to last until your other character could shut down the master control program in the cyberworld.) Somewhat like Megaman Battle Network, except with actual combat in the real world.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I messed around with the idea of taking Roll to roll to dodge to its logical extreme (aka: Roll to roll to roll to .... roll to dodge), but that would be a bit more effort than I'd want to commit to for my first game. XD

(RTRTD gave me another idea, Roll to Derm, but that would be notably less serious, and probably speaks for itself. Although it probably would be interesting running an RTD where the goal was for the players to destroy the plot/game setting. :P)

Alright, so I figure I'd like to run an RTD somewhat soon, would people be more interested in the cyberworld RTD or the roll to Derm one?

To flesh out the mechanics of the latter, I think I'd create a GM NPC who'd give you quests and such, (like the mod would in a more typical RTD). The thing is, you want to actually destroy his plot, but taking steps towards that goal will result in the GM getting annoyed and more actively trying to kill you. As for why you might follow any of his quests... well, there's lots of shiny gear involved in quests, which you could definitely use to destroy even more stuff... so you'll need to follow a balance between begrudgingly doing some stuff plot relevant, and actively destroying said plot.

Also, any critique/ relevant tips?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name the GM NPC Gatleos for great justice.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Whatno

Sean Mirrsen (...How do I spell that)

This has been an ExKirby Generic Random Suggestion.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sean Mirrsen is too cool to get annoyed by players trying to wreck his game. It would never work.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

An RTD where you play as your forum avatar.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

An RtD where you play as a variety of animals in the Helping/Diving Exploring Rescuing Protecting underwater elite diving team!

An RtD where you are one of the different components of my lunch, and have to escape being eaten by the GM!

An RtD where all actions and turns have to be done in the style of a minstrel!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

An RtD where all actions and turns have to be done in the style of a minstrel!
This would be epic.

An RTD where you play Reality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

An RtD where you are one of the different components of my lunch, and have to escape being eaten by the GM!

You know, I made a suggestion game where the players were a lunch once. It then devolved into Detective Sammich, but still.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

You know, I made a suggestion game where the players were a lunch once. It then devolved into Detective Sammich, but still.

You say devolved, I say evolved, you say tomato, I say tomato. ...that saying doesn't work as well in the medium of text.

An RTD where the players are planets trying to foster intelligent life on their respective surfaces! Waitlisters sign up for a planet and provide suggestions for the actions of that planet's species, for as we all know intelligent life is innately self-destructive and, occasionally, brilliantly creative- perfect for waitlister actions! Planets influence their species by altering environmental factors to manage the evolution of their creature (presumably at the pre-intelligent phase,) providing/hiding resources, and directly meddling in the affairs of mortals through religion, giant monster attacks, plagues, bountiful harvests, etc. The species has its own detailed stat sheet, and the job of the planet is to regulate the growth of the species to keep it from getting the power to destroy itself before it is able to avoid doing that exact thing, either through innate wisdom or elaborate countermeasures.

Now that I've conflated Religion with Godzilla, I can be satisfied with my day.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Now that seems quite fun.
Random events could effect the entire solar system. But players would have to have a way to annoy each other.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:10:12 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking about a short RtD with the entire premise being a battle between an anglerfish and a sea cucumber because of this:
I think I am dumb and your systems are very complicated. Either that or I am just dumb. I am lazy enough not to do any math, so here is a simple calculation.
Death+Ships+Big Explosions+Not boring = Anglerfish fighting a sea cucumber.
I don't know how that would work, but it sounds nice if I find a way for it to run. Actually I already had an idea. It is ridiculous, but it is an idea.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Well, I had a spaceship idea lying around, so I suppose I could drop it in here. Note that I might use it too, and that it's probably way to complicated for what  you are seeking:

Spoiler: Power generators (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heat management (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lifesupport (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jumpdrives (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shields (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Others (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Movement (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Accuracy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Missiles (click to show/hide)

This is getting complicated. If I ever use it I will make it a one ship only game.

Intended player budget: 10.000- 25.000 for the captain. 1.000-2.000 for individual crew members. Amount of player spots: 6

I more or less finished it. No I only need balancing ideas. Ideas for player equipable items and people saying they are willing through look throug hthis overly complicated but versatile system.( Really, it supports space bases missiles, fighters , capital ships, ...). It also allows you to dive into the sun, planets, moons, black holes and a whole lot of other thingies.

Edit: Also, wow, Caellath made the 4000the post
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:18:49 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Thoughts:

1. It's not only complicated, its hideously complicated >.>
2. Suggestion: Dividing rules into multiple sections, a lá the US tax forms. Make a 1040EZ, for small/simple ships, a 1040A for most ships, and a full-fledged section with all teh rules for those capital ships, or those minmaxed ships with the most customizing.

Suggestion addendum : Rules-EZ = Ships such as drones, or fighters, using only the rules for 1 deck, no jump-drive, and a couple others?

3. If you only make a single-ship game, it kinda defeats the purpose of being all-encompassing. You could probably trim down the rules for corner cases (like a black-hole diving ship with hyperdrives but no engine, unmanned, and as short as possible..)T

4. Rational for 'sections'? Possible alternative, add 'fore' or 'aft' to every single part as the players wish. Some parts don't matter as to their location ...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Thoughts:

1. It's not only complicated, its hideously complicated >.>
2. Suggestion: Dividing rules into multiple sections, a lá the US tax forms. Make a 1040EZ, for small/simple ships, a 1040A for most ships, and a full-fledged section with all teh rules for those capital ships, or those minmaxed ships with the most customizing.

Suggestion addendum : Rules-EZ = Ships such as drones, or fighters, using only the rules for 1 deck, no jump-drive, and a couple others?

3. If you only make a single-ship game, it kinda defeats the purpose of being all-encompassing. You could probably trim down the rules for corner cases (like a black-hole diving ship with hyperdrives but no engine, unmanned, and as short as possible..)T

4. Rational for 'sections'? Possible alternative, add 'fore' or 'aft' to every single part as the players wish. Some parts don't matter as to their location ...
1. Kinda, kinda
2. Point is that most rules apply for all ships. I see what I can do.
3.Their might be other ships (NPC's) too. At the moment there are no really rules for corner cases. ( A short no engine black hole diving ship will end up quit smal, as will everything else that drops into it.) Besides, the players will probably buy fighters and missiles.
4. They are important for internal part damage and such. Also, because each part has it own armor and structural damage rating, they quite help when I have to break one in pieces.( Players could focus fire on a certain section of the ship to break it in two)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I think having either/both an automated character sheet (easily whipped up in Google Docs), and a character generator(not so easily whipped up) could help some. The many multiplications and references are pretty confusing...

Having a character sheet could allow you to have more than one ship easily.

4. Couldn't you ad-hoc that? Especially, consider the fact that there isn't a 'middle' section, only aft and fore...>.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 661