Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702307 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I'd totally IN that, but with the caveat that it should have a strict timetable for races so they don't drag along.  Perhaps a 24 hour window, with the expectation that if you don't submit an action, you default to defensive driving or somesuch.  Certainly allow actions in advance if you expect to be away.

Between race turns would be slower and allow everyone in, since they're more important to the game as a whole.

Concerning the Invitational idea, perhaps have a "charity" race that the players who didn't qualify for the Invitational could race in for free.  Sponsors would be watching this one, but it'd be the Tim's Used Car Emporiums instead of the Ferraris.  That way, players aren't sitting out.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

I'd also /in for the Mario Kart RTD, especially if the bounty ideas and such were implemented.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

I use my position of thread ruler to in for the Mario Kart. I just LOVE Mario Kart.

Bonus points if I can be a sponsor.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I'll also join Mario kart.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

In as well, if it wasn't evident by my first post on it. Retroactive in.

Bonus points if I can be a sponsor.
Maybe this could be an activity for the waitlisters? Everyone on the waitlist is a sponsor the players can sign up with. Not sure what they'd do, though.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I'd totally IN that, but with the caveat that it should have a strict timetable for races so they don't drag along.  Perhaps a 24 hour window, with the expectation that if you don't submit an action, you default to defensive driving or somesuch.  Certainly allow actions in advance if you expect to be away.

Between race turns would be slower and allow everyone in, since they're more important to the game as a whole.

Assuming a 5 segment track, and assuming nobody breaks away to complete multiple segments in one turn, a 3 lap course would take ~15 turns to resolve a single race. Having spent some more time investigating the different tracks on the MK Wiki, it looks like 5 is a good average size for tracks (maybe more like 6,) and I think 15 turns per race is a reasonable thing. The default "defensive driving" action is a good idea, so I think I will roll with the 24 hour posting window during races. Not sure how important not-racing turns are going to be though, we'll see.

Yesterday I spent cogitating on the race rules I posted that night, and today at work I invested my time in Metagame Shenanigans.

Spoiler: Grand Prix (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Setting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Errata (click to show/hide)

Right now, I feel the metagame "as she is played" is a bit underdeveloped. I'd like to have better reasons for Sponsors/Bounties to provide, shall we say, "alternate objectives." Right now it's a bit arbitrary, and if I roll like it is now I'll probably have targets be the result of a random roll. My brain has been kicking around an idea where the different Sponsors all have their own little ranking derived entirely from the performance of the drivers they sponsor, and that would inform Sponsor actions, but I haven't worked it out to a place I like. Maybe sponsors get to choose where the next Prix is held... Any thoughts here are appreciated.

As far as the actual bounties, right now I'm thinking of two different methods of handling everything. One, I use existing mechanics to frame bounties- this would mean that the worst a bounty could do is make one person keep trying to ram another off the track, which is annoying but feasible. In this case bounties would be paid out if the target finishes in the bottom half of the leaderboard, with a bonus if they come in dead last. The plus side is that bounties are less annoying to the target, but less significant in story terms and harder to accomplish in any meaningful way.

The other option is to add mechanics for Karts to wreck. This would probably get generalized so it would happen during play- for example, a 1 on a dodge would result in damage to the Kart (inflicting a debuff for the rest of the race.)  The bounty payout would probably happen if the headhunter inflicted damage, or it might require follow-up action to force the target out of the race entirely. I'm also undecided if this would lead to situations where the player can attempt to stop and fix the problem on the track, or if repairs would only happen during the Metagame (at the cost of Coin.) The plus side is that bounties are actually a thing that matters during a race, but the downside is that the target might feel hassled. We'll see if I get any bright ideas one way or another, and if y'all have input give a holler!

I also hope the Module system A) Makes Sense and B) is Balanced. Most of the reason the Module system exists is because shady organizations can't break the rules if there are no rules to break, and Kart enhancement is an obvious one. Again, I'd like there to be more ways Sponsors can influence a match apart from scandal-drama and random objectives (e.g "whatever you do, beat character X" or "show the power of our product by Ramming X times.") In general, bounties and alternate objectives are things where there probably won't be more than one active during a given race, especially if I don't come up with more variety for them.

But yeah, I think I'm going to run this thing. I decided to accept pre-ins as the competitors in the first race. In essence, there isn't really a waitlist, merely a pool of players who aren't racing right at this moment. It's almost a Mario Kart Persistent World, to my sleep-deprived brain, anyway. The way it is set up now I think every player should have the opportunity to qualify for a given Cup, unless this gets ridiculously popular.

I think I'll give everything another look tomorrow, incorporate any bright ideas you folks have, polish up the rough edges and start the thread.

1- Yoink
2- Gatleos
3- Toaster
4- Scelly9
5- Nicholas1024
6- ExKirby
Rookie- 10ebbor10

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Maybe the more shady sponsors could try to modify the odds of their racer winning the game  by paying some people to accidentally drop something on the racing track, or try out fireflowers near the  track.

Also tracks could have a certain stat that indicates the amount of gambling focused on it. Large and important races often have more, just like races were two rivals go against each other. Some races have less, as there is a more strict security on that one. Races with a higher gambling stat have more attention of shady sponsors.

As for possible Bounties:
-Make sure player X doesn't end in the top half
-Make sure that you end third/Second...
-Make sure that you end Third and no better
-Make sure player X ends in the top half
-Make sure players X and Y End withing so much positions of each other

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I like that idea- there's always someone wanting to throw a race.  You might be able to tell that one player is acting out of character, but you'll never be sure what their true motives are.

Perhaps another "sponsor" option would be the officials trying to get a racer to spy on another racer and figure out who's bribing them?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I like that idea- there's always someone wanting to throw a race.  You might be able to tell that one player is acting out of character, but you'll never be sure what their true motives are.

Perhaps another "sponsor" option would be the officials trying to get a racer to spy on another racer and figure out who's bribing them?
Yup,  some thing like stay within X tiles of player Y.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Maybe the more shady sponsors could try to modify the odds of their racer winning the game  by paying some people to accidentally drop something on the racing track, or try out fireflowers near the  track.

Also tracks could have a certain stat that indicates the amount of gambling focused on it. Large and important races often have more, just like races were two rivals go against each other. Some races have less, as there is a more strict security on that one. Races with a higher gambling stat have more attention of shady sponsors.

As for possible Bounties:
-Make sure player X doesn't end in the top half
-Make sure that you end third/Second...
-Make sure that you end Third and no better
-Make sure player X ends in the top half
-Make sure players X and Y End withing so much positions of each other

I like all of these ideas. Hooray!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

You could also have most items be mostly safe with only a small chance of causing a wreck(say, rolling two 1's on 2d6), and have the shadier sponsors give you "modified" items to do more damage. Another possibility is hidden weaponry you could activate for a bigger advantage/bounty, but with a chance of being caught and disqualified. (I.e. Oil slicks, smoke screens, ramming someone to attach a gooey bomb, etc.)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From Mario Kart to Speed Racer. Weegee plays Speed by the way.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Alright, farting around with things.

Spoiler: Sponsors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kart Damage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Course Design (click to show/hide)

Aaaand, I think that's good. Pop on over to the thread, y'all!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

So, I would be interested in feedback on the following ideas which came about whilst thinking about Roll to be Father Ted.

Spoiler: Roll to be Father X! (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 661