Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699455 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

I've been thinking about an RTD system where the players work together in teams of two, and this led me to a simultaneously stupid and intriguing idea.

Banjo Kazooie RTD!
Here's how it works: six players sign up for the game, then the GM randomly puts them in pairs. After this, the players must pick animals. One player in the pair is the Host player, who controls movement and overall actions and is the "leader" of the pair. The other player is the Backpack player, who acts to buff the Host player and help out their actions in different ways. The players in each pair would each submit an action each turn, the only limit being that the Backpack player can't separate themselves from their Host player.

After that, just set them loose in the Banjo Kazooie setting to collect jiggies or something. Each player pair could get bonuses to different rolls depending on what animals they chose (walrus wearing a backpack with a honey badger in it, panda bear wearing a backpack with a cat in it, etc.), and the players would cooperate (or compete) to complete objectives. Maybe you could have some kind of leveling system where Mumbo Jumbo mutates one of the players in exchange for XP.

Thoughts?!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Having never played the Banjo Kazooie games, I'm a bit sketchy on what it is Kazooie does. What makes him worth playing?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Having never played the Banjo Kazooie games, I'm a bit sketchy on what it is Kazooie does. What makes him worth playing?
That's the thing- he's essentially immobile and reliant on the other player to move around. In the games, he does lots of things: shooting eggs, flying, walking up slopes, etc. It would be best to give the Backpack player some moves to balance out their immobility. I think the best case here would be the Backpack player playing it like a strategy game, buffing the other player and using special moves strategically.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

You know Gat, I'd probably play that. I remember the games fairly fondly. :P

I'd need a good partner first.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

You know Gat, I'd probably play that. I remember the games fairly fondly. :P

I'd need a good partner first.
Ooh! Ooh! Pick me!

I don't know the game so I probably won't be a good partner, on second thought.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Slight adjustment: Players don't find out who they're paired with until after they've selected their animal. Anyone can have a rhinoceros carrying around a flamingo, but how many people can have a flamingo carrying around a rhinoceros, hmmmm?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@IO: That might be more in the spirit of the game-the team members are essentially "stuck" with each other.

On the other hand-I'd wanna team up with Skyrunner. She's usually my go to GM, but we've never played an RTD with each other. ^^
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Ooh, I get a pre-in due to my IRL name! :P
Having to put up with quips of 'Where's Kazooie' all my life shall finally pay off!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

You can count on me for often dropping games... >.> (guilty posture)

... Wouldn't HMS Thunderchild count, sorta?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile

Will there be stop and swap?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Ooh, I get a pre-in due to my IRL name! :P
Having to put up with quips of 'Where's Kazooie' all my life shall finally pay off!
Your name... is... how... what...
Will there be stop and swap?
Oh yes.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can count on me for often dropping games... >.> (guilty posture)

... Wouldn't HMS Thunderchild count, sorta?

That's an RP.

Totally different than a RTD. O_o

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Kazooie does everything. He's used as a club, he's used to jump higher, he's used to run faster, he's used to run up steep slopes, he's used to drill peck things, he's used to swim (IIRC, my memories on that are a little fuzzy), he's used to shoot eggs of various and hilarious projectile power, he's used to attack things that attempt to eat you whilst on walls, his feathers can be used to turn you invincible, his feathers can be used to fly, he can turn into a dragon and breath fire, he can divebomb enemies for massive damage, he can be tucked into your shoulder and held like a rifle -with bayonet beak stab action included-, he can separate from banjo for extended periods of time during certain parts of the game, he gets all the best lines, and he's genre savvy to boot.

Seriously, Banjo might be the one wearing the shorts, but he sure as hell ain't wearing the pants in the relationship.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Kazooie does everything. He's used as a club, he's used to jump higher, he's used to run faster, he's used to run up steep slopes, he's used to drill peck things, he's used to swim (IIRC, my memories on that are a little fuzzy), he's used to shoot eggs of various and hilarious projectile power, he's used to attack things that attempt to eat you whilst on walls, his feathers can be used to turn you invincible, his feathers can be used to fly, he can turn into a dragon and breath fire, he can divebomb enemies for massive damage, he can be tucked into your shoulder and held like a rifle -with bayonet beak stab action included-, he can separate from banjo for extended periods of time during certain parts of the game, he gets all the best lines, and he's genre savvy to boot.

Seriously, Banjo might be the one wearing the shorts, but he sure as hell ain't wearing the pants in the relationship.
You say that Kazooie does everything, but you'll find that most of the things you listed there contain the word used. He's used to solve puzzles and fight enemies, because he's a tool for Banjo to use. Separating from Banjo in the sequel is one of the only times that Kazooie is doing anything under his own power.

Which is why we need to tilt things in the backpack player's favor, to make the role interesting to play. Banjo Kazooie wouldn't be all that fun if you had access to Kazooie, but the computer moved Banjo around for you. It's a pretty easily solved problem, but still needs to be given consideration so the backpack player doesn't get bored.

Good to see a lot of interest in this. :D
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

he
he
he
his

Kazooie is a FEMALE. How was I the first person to point this out? D:
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 661