Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702284 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

@10ebbor10  It certainly looks interesting- I'd be interested in seeing mechanical information on the Magic system.

I like the tile/region distinctions. That's a really nice, insightful break, I think.

No particular opinions on the combat system yet.

Ehh, after sleeping on it and continuing the chew on it, I like the combat less and less. Too complex, too time-consuming for too little reward. I still don't know what I'm going to do- I'd like it to be streamlined enough that the effects of a turn's worth of Campaigning can be determined with just a roll or three, but complex enough for army composition (unit types) and General skill/abilities to matter. I'd also prefer it to be fairly automated, so it can be resolved without input from Players- this means that it will either be systematic and linear (with obvious best choices,) or Characters will have traits that determine what choices they make (for if tradeoffs must be decided on.) If I get a good system that requires lots of Player Input, I'd rather use it in its own standalone RTD, not as an aspect of the Grand Strategy RTD.

I'm currently pondering a system where units "duel" over individual tiles in a region- this means big regions favor big armies (since they can bring numbers to bear) while small regions are easy to defend (easier to reinforce.) It also opens the door for tile-specific combat modifiers (the one tile with the river, the one tile with the fort, etc) without being too horrible. Still haven't put much thought into that one, and I'm not sure if I'll change how damage works- I might just scrap it and go with a straight win/lose/draw system, where losing means being destroyed and a draw means neither unit can engage in another combat.

Work in Progress, as always!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Posting this idea, since I have way to much  to do and certainly can't Gm this one to.

Roll to be Med-Evil
Players are all serving the same evil overlord in quest for power and to eternally establish a reign of darkness. While in the beginnings there'll be nobody there but them , their power and influence might soon become much more. There are various options for who the evil overlord is.
A.The GM
B.A Player
C.The Community
D.A player, anonymously
E.Puppet of all the players.

Player classes
-Wizard: While most people can use magic, wizards specialize in it and as of that are actually good in it. (Also knows 3 spells.)
-Assasin/Thief/Rogue: A class mostly based on stealth and cunning in order to achieve their overlords goals. Also the closest thing to a diplomat.(Also starts with some gold, a weapon and a cloak)
-Soldier: Just your average soldier. ( Starts with a weapon shield and armor)
-Engineer/Mechanic(Starts with a toolkit,some scrap and a heavy/blunt instrument)
-Others: Player suggested

Skill levels and such.(System stolen from IronyOwl,I think)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sign-up sheet
Magic system

Magical system

That should be about it. Constructs have either a build in magical battery or draw magic from the ambient field. Failure of magical containers also releases plenty of random magic
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:27:47 am by 10ebbor10 »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

RTD... I think I'll try out something.

Leaning towards one of three:

• The May Rebellion : You are a revolutionary.
  • A(nother) mage game, with ebbor's mage system's general idea
  • The previously mentioned nightmare room game, with secret actions.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Everyone loves mages!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Everyone loves mages!

Agreed.

Especially if I can freeform cast.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Everyone does indeed love mages. Well, somewhat to a lesser extent for me. Still, they aren't bad.

Especially if I can freeform cast.
I've got a bad feeling about that line there.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The phrase 'Separate the iron from his blood with earth/eater magic' comes to mind.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That... sounds fairly mundane to me for some reason. Is... is there something wrong with me?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Magically mundane, perhaps. I like to be inventive.

But does the fact that if he survived the attempt, I would make all the little bits of blood iron rocket around his insides like a hyperactive bouncy spikey ball sound good?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know. Still doesn't get me. A bit cruel, but has about the same effect on me as shooting a man with tons of small iron needles.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's more internally exploding a man with small iron needles made from his own fluids.

I'm not quite certain what I'm missing here. What does 'Get me' in this context mean?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Get me" means me going "Wow, that's kinda extreme" or "Yuck, why would you think of that" or maybe even "oh god that's horrific".

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn him inside out in such a way his nethers pop out from the place his mouth is supposed to be.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh.

Well for that, I dunno, I'd animate whatever waste product he currently holds in his colon into a small golem, which would then climb back up through the intestinal tract, make a small pit stop to let him know exactly what was happening, and then have it head back down take a squat right in his throat so he chokes on it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:09:31 pm by dermonster »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I've always been a fan of that Abyssal sorcery that takes control of someone's skeleton but not them, giving them the option of just going with it or taking damage by fighting back. If they die, the skeleton pops out of the weak meat altogether. :))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 661