Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705327 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Looks awesome, monk. It'd be awesome if it takes off.

As far as waitlisters go, it depends on how you want the flow of the game to work and how complex you want it to be.

For instance, you could give waitlisters personal holdings or assets of some sort, which would become relevant when they got into the game proper. Their actions on the council would thus be in pursuit of whatever increased their assets and, in all likelihood, hastened their entry into the game. Trouble is, in addition to making the council actively malicious towards players (but still, presumably, at least neutral unless there's a reason not to be to the Empire), that'd require tracking waitlister assets and perhaps developing random tables just for them and so on and so forth. Possibly not what you're going for.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile

That sounds interesting (I won't play it, though), though personally I don't really like the idea of PMs. It's less interesting for observers and future readers.

That is true...  I can't really post the whole PM (because often the way the person writes tells who's whom), and paraphrasing is rather boring to read... T_T
You can always post them after the fact, maybe have a section at the end where it has all the turns and their action PMs.  Lotta work though.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I've thought about that too, but it's also sub-optimal. For the observer, they have to wait for so long to see what everyone tried to do and they likely won't be interested much. For the future reader, it's the same deal. You'd have to edit them into the already existing turns for the future readers alone to have full enjoyment, but it's still a problem for the active observers who still have to wait and it's a lot of menial work.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Another thought: a la Mafia games, have a night-phases where what your imagination cooks up becomes real, and day-phases where you can try to talk, figure out who's the one who's trying to kill everyone else, and perhaps do something else that I can't think of right now. :|
What to do in the day?

As for the talking : During the day, the real names are used. During the night, aliases are used (such as simply A, B, C, X, T, Z . . .) which only the person who is acting knows and the others don't. This sorta invites gameplay & fluff segregation, but . . . I suppose it could be chalked down to being too dark to know. >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile

So, guys, I was thinking of running a game.

Roll to Become a God

This game has a simple promise. In a land of fantasy, magic, warriors and beasts, You have somehow aspired your sights on godhood. After fighting through your battles, searching for a way... you finally 'ascend', your mortal form evolving into something completely new... And as you rise to your new domain, what you believe to be the stars, the clouds, or even some mountain... You find yourself at the start of an entirely new struggle. With your new power, you can... feel others. You cannot tell where, or what, but you can feel them. You put them off, thinking yourself superior, a god! Untill suddenly you feel your surroundings twisting, changing as you are pulled out of your domain, into a decorated room of white marble. In the center, there is a long, mahogany table, at which sit numerous figures. Spots lie empty. The table is bare. Around the edges of the room, marble columns stand. You can see from where you are that there are others, and you can see the spark of divinity in them. Some look as confused as you are now, others not so. You see various figures, seated at the table, beckon to you to join them, as a booming, thunderous voice calls out.

"Welcome... Especially to you newcomers. Welcome to the Council of Gods."

Spoiler: Basic Information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Divine Power (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Avatars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mortal Realm (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Stats (click to show/hide)

Thoughts?
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Seems fun to me.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you could try keeping a parallel strugggle in the form of "common adventurers/heroes" (more Player Characters). Each one could be blessed by a God, and depending on how the God was going at the time, they could get weaker or stronger.

Their actions could also screw up the Gods' fame and name a little, and their prayer, if sucessful, would be more effective in helping the God than the prayers of common followers. They could also act as priests for each God.

Hell, you could even make all of them into Battle-priests of different Gods. Imagine a group of people in clothes like that of a bishop and carrying long staffs but totally capable of kicking ass.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile

Sadly, I don't think I'm dedicated/nonjumpy enough to handle dual RtDs. I have a notoriously short attention span >.> and it normally takes all my efforts to run a single game at once. It is a good idea, though. Just in case anyone is willing to collaborate *wink wink*

Because having someone do work for me is always a good option. I mean, what?
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly, I don't think I'm dedicated/nonjumpy enough to handle dual RtDs. I have a notoriously short attention span >.> and it normally takes all my efforts to run a single game at once. It is a good idea, though. Just in case anyone is willing to collaborate *wink wink*

Because having someone do work for me is always a good option. I mean, what?
You could limit both Gods and Priests to three each and keep track of only six players.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile

I could, I could... I might try that. If I'm motivated enough to actually write rules for Priests :3 They'd probably be very simple anyways, and limited and much less fun than being a God. Even High Priests can barely compete with Avatars, and that's through Mortal Means. The Divine Power Priests get from Gods is much less.

Sorry, idea hit me in the face. Instead of Priests, players get to be Avatars of the Gods. Could work, yes?'

EDIT: Actually, no, it couldnt. I just realised a flaw. Doing this takes away alot of the control Gods have over their followers. Since Gods control the power, if a player wanted to do something OTHER than what their God wanted as an Avatar, all their power would poof.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:15:28 am by Talarion »

What more do you need?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, idea hit me in the face. Instead of Priests, players get to be Avatars of the Gods. Could work, yes?'

EDIT: Actually, no, it couldnt. I just realised a flaw. Doing this takes away alot of the control Gods have over their followers. Since Gods control the power, if a player wanted to do something OTHER than what their God wanted as an Avatar, all their power would poof.
Yeah. I had already poked something like that in other Godly RtD, but I think being a priest may be funnier.

Especially because of the cool clothing. The fact they are still mortal followers is also interesting.
>Yes?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Monk:  Perhaps limit the Council spots to 10 or so and give each one a secret goal, with the one closest to said goal being the Speaker of the Council and gaining more authority (like a tiebreaker vote.)

Further player that fit in neither the Houses nor Council go in the Hidden Fun Stuff list, to be sent out at the whim of the dice.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

It's time for Stream of Consciousness Game Design with Monk II: Electric Boogalo!

Anywho, I've been pondering how a more strategic RTD might play out, so I thought I'd write my ideas down and see how stupid they look written out. Intended setting is a low-magic fantasy world- fantasy to allow crazy things to happen with "A Wizard Did It" as justification, low-magic to keep it from being a pain to maintain. It'd be cool to figure magic out, but I'm starting with the nuts and bolts of empire management.

Spoiler: Players/Waitlist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rough Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Things Players Do (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat and Conflict (click to show/hide)

Alright, I'm sleep so I'll stop typing. As you can see, very very very rough right now. I've most recently been cogitating on the Characters aspect- it'd be cool to get a Total War family tree thing going, with characters being associated with either a settlement (as governor) or army (as leader.) Just what I've been thinking lately, imma go to bed nao.

Monk:  Perhaps limit the Council spots to 10 or so and give each one a secret goal, with the one closest to said goal being the Speaker of the Council and gaining more authority (like a tiebreaker vote.)

Further player that fit in neither the Houses nor Council go in the Hidden Fun Stuff list, to be sent out at the whim of the dice.
Looks awesome, monk. It'd be awesome if it takes off.

As far as waitlisters go, it depends on how you want the flow of the game to work and how complex you want it to be.

For instance, you could give waitlisters personal holdings or assets of some sort, which would become relevant when they got into the game proper. Their actions on the council would thus be in pursuit of whatever increased their assets and, in all likelihood, hastened their entry into the game. Trouble is, in addition to making the council actively malicious towards players (but still, presumably, at least neutral unless there's a reason not to be to the Empire), that'd require tracking waitlister assets and perhaps developing random tables just for them and so on and so forth. Possibly not what you're going for.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and are certainly something that I will remember when I go back to that. What I've done since then is what I often do when I get stuck on an aspect of game design- I put what I've done on hold and think about the problem from a different angle.

I had been attacking it from the grand perspective of the Duke, so I started thinking about it from the perspective of a foot soldier. This lead to a rethinking of how Map Tiles work, and expansion of the Characters concept. Note that the stuff I've already written down is partially obsolete, since I haven't rewritten everything yet.

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat Rolls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sample Campaign (click to show/hide)

When/if this game gets off the ground, it'll be accompanied by little pictures to make it clear which units are facing which, and certainly better identification of the units ("Tarquin's Toughs" instead of "Tarquin Militia 1", or something to give them some flavor.) If you've played the Call to Power games, it's basically the same mechanic. Now I need to reconcile this new information with the stuff I had thought of before- right now, I'm planning to remove Tile Improvements and replace them with City Improvements, which will do the same things in a different (hopefully easier to track) way. I also didn't get around to writing down all the thoughts I've had percolating about Characters in general (not just Generals,) but I'm going to bed now, so it'll wait. Comments/questions/suggestions about what I've got here are appreciated!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I like the tile/region distinctions. That's a really nice, insightful break, I think.

No particular opinions on the combat system yet.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Posting this idea, since I have way to much  to do and certainly can't Gm this one to.

Roll to be Med-Evil
Players are all serving the same evil overlord in quest for power and to eternally establish a reign of darkness. While in the beginnings there'll be nobody there but them , their power and influence might soon become much more. There are various options for who the evil overlord is.
A.The GM
B.A Player
C.The Community
D.A player, anonymously
E.Puppet of all the players.

Player classes
-Wizard: While most people can use magic, wizards specialize in it and as of that are actually good in it. (Also knows 3 spells.)
-Assasin/Thief/Rogue: A class mostly based on stealth and cunning in order to achieve their overlords goals. Also the closest thing to a diplomat.(Also starts with some gold, a weapon and a cloak)
-Soldier: Just your average soldier. ( Starts with a weapon shield and armor)
-Engineer/Mechanic(Starts with a toolkit,some scrap and a heavy/blunt instrument)
-Others: Player suggested

Skill levels and such.(System stolen from IronyOwl,I think)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sign-up sheet
Magic system
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:41:30 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 661