Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702530 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I still can't decide whether or not to include the basic 'elemental' magic. :-/
As in, to have them as main parts of magic? Or just another school?

Specific or broad... D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Also, what do mages do in mage RTDs? I haven't ever personally been in one, so..
Create giant monstrosities. Kill themselves with overly complex magic. Kill teammates with overly complex magi. Try to read a mage RtD from IronyOwl, like Staggered Magi. Or his most recent one, in which my character is also a victim: Outcast Power RTD.
Exactly, it's like a series of exploitation films with ridiculous violence.

Dermsploitation, you could call it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Also, how do people fancy RTDs where you should discover the rules of the world as the players venture out? Basically, what is currently happening in my Wall-O-Text RTD. With magic.
It depends. In my eyes, it makes roleplaying more difficult in a way, and forces much more exploration from mundane stuff. The latter could either be seen as better or worse.

Try to read a mage RtD from IronyOwl, like Staggered Magi.
DWARMIIIIIIIIIINNNNNN

If the elements are a major part of the world, they should be major. If the elements are a minor part of the world, they can be minor or major.

Dermsploitation, you could call it.
Okay, really. I hate to sound like a jerk or a party pooper, but really, why do we have to use his name all the time? I'm sure even he is getting somewhat tired of it in a way.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Nah.

It makes me feel kinda giddy that I actually get remembered from time to time. It's my one call to fame round here as you could say.

Blah blah hidden self esteem issues blah blah.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:00:07 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

It's a catchy name. History remembers those with catchy names.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

It's time for Stream of Consciousness Game Design with Monk III: This Time I'm Stealing From Board Games!

Anywho, I've been pondering how a more strategic RTD might play out, so I thought I'd write my ideas down and see how stupid they look written out. Intended setting is a low-magic fantasy world- fantasy to allow crazy things to happen with "A Wizard Did It" as justification, low-magic to keep it from being a pain to maintain. It'd be cool to figure magic out, but I'm starting with the nuts and bolts of empire management.

Spoiler: Players/Waitlist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rough Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Things Players Do (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat and Conflict (click to show/hide)

Alright, I'm sleep so I'll stop typing. As you can see, very very very rough right now. I've most recently been cogitating on the Characters aspect- it'd be cool to get a Total War family tree thing going, with characters being associated with either a settlement (as governor) or army (as leader.) Just what I've been thinking lately, imma go to bed nao.

So let's try this whole "combat" thing again.

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units and Generals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Campaigning and Combat (click to show/hide)

I will specifically mention that I did away with Unit Maintenance because I plan to institute a Unit Cap instead, which can be raised via buildings. Some units might have Coin drain similar to maintenance (Mercenaries, for example) but that will function as a Special Ability.

This combat is intended to be fairly automatic- the Duke (player) may make their priorities known beforehand, but once combat starts it should get resolved without further meddling from the higher-ups. Frequently, Generals have character traits which dictate how their decision-making process works. I think I like this a lot better than the previous incarnation, but then again, maybe I'll sleep on it and hate it in the morning. Questions, comments, feedback welcome, and bonus points if you guess what board game I was looking at while thinking of this! (not that I think the mechanics are terribly unique)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:03:36 am by monk12 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I'm wondering... Are magic types like 'law', 'definition/definity', 'materialness' too vague? :P I'm toting with magic and I find myself going towards TPN-vagueness again.

Should it be more defined and narrow? o_o

Also, what do mages do in mage RTDs? I haven't ever personally been in one, so..

Specific or broad... D:
Well, try starting from the results and moving backwards.

Like, let's say you want necromancers to be viable in this game. What sort of concepts or magic schools would they use for that, and what, if anything, would that happen to make them also good at?

Maybe you decide "Animation" would be the necromancer-thing; but that would mean a necromancer could create golems just as easily as skeletons, and couldn't drain life or hex people. If that's what you want, so far so good; if not, you need to go back and figure out what went wrong, which in this case would probably be that your school themes are too broad and don't have anything to do with your intended wizard themes.

At some point, you should figure out what you want, or at least have a clearer idea of the sorts of things you want but aren't sure how to accomplish. Or at the very very least, what the difference between two choices are.

And yes, mages pretty much just grievously abuse the words "Madness" and "Power" in mage games. Or at least, most mage games I've seen. :P

It's time for Stream of Consciousness Game Design with Monk III: This Time I'm Stealing From Board Games!
Really not fond of the "it's a draw or one unit is destroyed" method, since that makes gaining units experience extremely difficult and of questionable usefulness.

In a similar vein, depending on unit strengths and special abilities and so on that opposed Tactics roll could very well turn combat in general into a Tactics Check. Again, this sort of depends on just how good certain units are at countering other units and whether there's any units that don't have any particular weaknesses and so on.

The per-tile thing is interesting... I like it, but it seems like it might be too complex.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

How about Roll to Postman Pat?

Six postmen have to deliver their special package travelling through real Northern roads, encountering obstacles such as (all examples taken from the real life children's documentary):
Sheep
Out of control robots
Wind
A goat
Terrorists

Objects requiring delivery include:
A cake
A cow
Robots
A parrot

Postmen can choose from a range of vehicles including (again, all real and canon examples)
Royal mail van
Royal mail bicycle
Royal mail helicopter

And they can choose from a range of familiars, including:
Black and white cat

I guess it would essentially be a race with bonuses for good RP (proper northern accents and the like).

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

I like monk's RTD, but perhaps unique units and structures could be created by the player, as long it has GM approval? Could be an utterly bad idea though.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

RTD... I think I'll try out something.

Leaning towards one of three:

• A(nother) mage game, with ebbor's mage system's general idea
Feel free to use it. As for Schools of magic, you could use a sort of relevancy+tomes system, where schools don't excist but the spells you can learn depends on which spells you already now. That would disallow freeform casting altogether though.

Another system would be to allow people to learn component spells (using the above system) and then have them mix and match those with some freedom. For example( Fire control+ Minor fire summon=Fireball) and (Bind soul+Animate Bones= Undead) and stuff like that.

Also, in order to avoid people casting water into other people lungs and turning their blood into iron and such, you could say that every creature has an intristic magical ability, which will instinctively try to negate all harmfull spells inside/near the body.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Really not fond of the "it's a draw or one unit is destroyed" method, since that makes gaining units experience extremely difficult and of questionable usefulness.

In a similar vein, depending on unit strengths and special abilities and so on that opposed Tactics roll could very well turn combat in general into a Tactics Check. Again, this sort of depends on just how good certain units are at countering other units and whether there's any units that don't have any particular weaknesses and so on.

The per-tile thing is interesting... I like it, but it seems like it might be too complex.

As written, it is intended for experienced, veteran units to be a difficult thing to get. The special abilities they get are supposed to be significant game-changers, making them appreciably more powerful than their inexperienced counterparts; as a result, their presence is a decided advantage for one side, but deploying them is a risk of the time and effort that was expended in leveling them up. The reason it's "draw or one unit destroyed" is to keep campaigns from dragging- if it takes two combats to destroy a unit, an attacker would need to have a 2:1 advantage to resolve a Campaign in one turn. I'm hoping for smaller army sizes and a more or less equal production capacity, which would mean any heavily contested region would be more like a 1:1 ratio with frequent reinforcements keeping army sizes near max, resulting in bloody, year long wars.

To keep the Tactics thing from being so all-important, there are a couple things I'm hoping to do. First, there will be several different unit types. This means that it won't be difficult to create a diverse army that is hard to countertype, and that there will be plenty of matchups that are type-neutral; really decisive matchups in the Rock beats Scissors vein should be fairly uncommon, maybe occurring once per turn. Those matchups would represent the decisive battles fought in the course of the 3 month Campaign turn. The second thing I'm hoping to do is lean away from really potent RPS abilities (archer gets +3 vs infantry) and more toward abilities that work in all situations (archers don't take damage on a 1, or half damage.) Ideally, I'd get to a place where different unit types are good at certain things, and the things they are good at happen to match up well against their traditional opponent- implicit advantages instead of explicit.

Quite frankly, I agree with you about the per-tile thing; it's about as complex as I want to deal with, and even then only because I expect regions to only have 4-8 tiles each. However, I haven't been able to come up with another system that doesn't mean I have to reduce the entire army into an aggregate stat of some kind, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

All of the above will need playtesting to make sure that my expected behavior matches up with what happens when the game is actually played.

That said, the above assumes a Civilization-like focus on the economic/production side of the game, which is how the rest of the game is currently set up. Right now, though, I think I might be leaning towards more of a Total War approach where the military side of the game is more interesting and important, and the economic side of the game exists to provide context for it. My next step is to leave the combat at "good enough for now," and go back and reexamine and expand on the economic stuff I'd written first now that I have a better idea of how combat will work. The changes I make there could easily come back to alter what I've done here- I don't know about anyone else, but this kind of back and forth is pretty common when I'm designing things.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Something like Catapults gets a +2 bonus if it hasn't moved last turn, but can't retreat. Rather then catapult gets a +2 bonus when fighting from and against fortifications. Seems good to me.

As for the game design thingy, I useally make up things as I go along.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Spoiler: Great Wall of Text (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Yess, I have managed to singlehandedly kill off the RB thread, for now! :-\
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:02:54 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Men in Black: Budget edition

Due to the financial crisis, the budget of the MiB was cut tremendously. Equipment could no longer be repaired and replaced, and eventually they couldn't even afford to hire decent candidates. That's why you are here, you worked somewhere for the Mib (Adminsistration, janitor,...) and now they need you to investigate threads. You will be granted some equipment.

Equipment:
The budget cuts have forced the MiB to use cheaper materials in their gadgets, making them more dangerous to use and resulting in several faults. This also resulted in the fact that weapons and gadgets that were previously regarded to be to destructive/dangerous to find their way to the battlefield. Basically equipment comes in three flavours

-Denied equipment: They said it would be to dangerous to use it, let's prove them wrong. (Things like supersonic jetpacks belong here)
-Broken equipment: It should work. ( Weapons and gadgets appear normal, but malfucntion/break every so often)
-Flawed equipment: These are perfectly fine gadgets, but suffer from critical design flaws. (Memory wipe machine that wipes the last 5 seconds of memory,...)
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 661