Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702536 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5250 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:09 pm »

Would people be interested in an RTD setting idea I had that's basically Medieval Fantasy meets Humongous Mecha?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD FURTUKA

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5251 on: September 26, 2012, 04:56:02 pm »

Would people be interested in an RTD setting idea I had that's basically Medieval Fantasy meets Humongous Mecha?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD FURTUKA
NOT UNTIL YOU FINISH YOUR-

wait I can't make that joke now since you started updating it again. Darnit. :P   I was actually inspired by an Itouch game called War of Eustrath.

In all honesty all I have right now is an idea for the setting's premise and most of the gameplay. Haven't quite figured out the plot and nations yet. What I have is:

In the world there are titans, a little like the ones in DF in that every titan is unique, but they're a lot more varied, ranging from Shadow of the Colossus esque stone beasts, to massive sized animals, to kaiju type things, to giant living clouds that float in the sky, to towering humanoids made of shadow that drop human sized beasts that serve it off of itself as it walks ect ect ect. To defend themselves, ages ago the first Argoth (pending name for the robots, shortening of Armored Goliath) was built from the body of a giant stone titan that happened to be hollow. Since then they have achieved widespread use, being used for both their original purpose and as weapons of war. Argoths are pretty much unlimited in their types of form and appearance. Argoth pilots have basically taken over the role that knights would normally be in a more conventional setting.
     Mass driver projectiles in this world work using premade runes that create floating magic circles parallel to the barrel within the launcher that accelerate the projectiles like a rail gun would. Rocket type weapons use either conventional rocketry or propulsion and/or fire runes. Magic not related to frackin around with physics or manipulating existing material is based around converting mana into matter or other forms of energy. So a skilled enough mage could make say a giant cannon out of thin air, but it would take a lot out of them. This is reflected in the way using magics looks (I kinda originally came up with the idea for this setting via doodles). For example making a fireball would appear to be the mage making a magic circle floating in front of their hands, followed by the symbols and runes and lines and stuff making up the circle rearranging themselves into a fireball esque shape, which then turns into an actual fireball and launches in self. This all occurs in a couple seconds of course. A magic trained Argoth pilot can draw on specially built mana storage units to do scaled up versions of their spells, or to boost the Argoths weaponry.
     In terms of other races I'm undecided. I was originally planning on saying there are no other humanoid intelligent races besides the humans and maybe fairies or something, but I can see how to fit in elves and other stuff if there's demand for it. Fantastic animals do exist though.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, I'll have to dig up my notes to see if there's anything else.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: September 26, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »

So, would anybody be up for a Boshy RTD?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: September 26, 2012, 05:11:55 pm »

Wasn't that the anime with the... with the...

I literally have no idea where I have heard that name from.
Dragonheart-powered kind of small medieval mechs? Psychic schoolgirl crossing over to/coming from the moon or somesuch?

Unless you heard of it through tropes. Did you hear about it through tropes, Darvi?

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, I'll have to dig up my notes to see if there's anything else.
Sounds interesting, but without knowing anything about concrete mechanics it's kind of hard to comment on.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: September 26, 2012, 05:12:42 pm »

Unless you heard of it through tropes. Did you hear about it through tropes, Darvi?
Quite possibly.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: September 26, 2012, 05:16:19 pm »

I'll be back once I have most of the mechanics written out then.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: September 26, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »

Please hurry up so I can get to bed in time.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: September 26, 2012, 07:28:00 pm »

Um I likely won't have it all till tomorrow. Wouldn't be able to upload it anyways till then even if I finished it all on time. So you can go to bed.
It's FEF, not FEOF

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:54 am »

Hmm, I asked this once before but after doing it a few times I'm looking for detailed answers. Basically, for a player-driven game, what's an appropriate time for putting in interactive Flash game segments? Right now my ideas are...

Puzzles

Pros: If the puzzle was complex enough, I could use the character examining it as the viewpoint in the flash game without taking 5 or 6 turns for them to figure out how, exactly, it works. I have a few ideas for this, notably one of those "switch things around using logic until you get your result" puzzles. But it's multi-layered and seems like a lot of time and work to represent with just pictures and text. Additionally, if you're just flipping stuff around and examining, you don't have to have a lot of dialogue (and thus less putting words in the players' mouths).
Cons: The players shouldn't be able to solve the puzzle in the Flash because that would be stupid and negate all possibly player ingenuity. Maybe I could have a flag that lets them exit back out of it once they've sufficiently examined how everything works. They'd still have to come up with an appropriate solution.

Cutscenes/NPC dialogue

Pros: This would let me skip past quite a bit of boring stuff and make the meat all the more tasty. Basically, the cutscene would still be interactive to some degree, but the result would always have to be the same because we're working within the context of a Flash game here. I'm thinking like "escaping a crumbling tower", "long-winded NPC dialogue trees" and such. The kind of stuff I'd automate or gloss over the details of if I was working it into a turn or two in the game proper.
Cons: Work work work dear lord. In my main RTD, this would be at most twice a chapter. The amount of art, logic and work required to do this overall would be huge. Additionally, I'd have to work to make sure I'm not putting words in the players' mouths (though my players have been OK with this in previous flashes, likely because of the whole "OMG I am in a Flash" thing.)

I am aware of the silliness of asking this when I am literally the only one who does this around here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:41:27 am by freeformschooler »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:29 pm »

Oh, ffs

Puzzles are a neat idea- what I'd do with it is have the Flash puzzle give a clue/item needed to solve the main puzzle. Say it's a riddle door- the players could solve it just by being really good at riddles, or they could do the Flash for a clue. Say it's a boss fight- the players could just beat on it and hope it dies, or they could do the Flash to get the Sword of Boss Smitery +2. Basically, I'm looking at having the Flash be a bonus challenge/puzzle that rewards the player with a distinct advantage without being required for plot advancement or being overpowered.

Cutscenes and bits where the game is on rails anyway is obviously a good spot for Flash, but obviously nobody wants you to burn yourself out making a movie every third update. Mentally, I'm thinking of Final Fantasy VII where the dialogue and many railroady bits are still in-game, while the really big stuff is fancy Cutscene stuff. Again, whatever you're comfortable doing, and don't set expectations for yourself too high.

I don't have any particularly original ideas to add to what you have there, so! Good luck!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:55 pm »

Oh, ffs
We should really stop using that acronym, it just confuses me what we even mean by saying it.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:47 pm »

I like saying it aloud. It's like 'pfffft' and trying to stifle laughter at the same time.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: September 27, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »

Puzzles are a neat idea- what I'd do with it is have the Flash puzzle give a clue/item needed to solve the main puzzle. Say it's a riddle door- the players could solve it just by being really good at riddles, or they could do the Flash for a clue. Say it's a boss fight- the players could just beat on it and hope it dies, or they could do the Flash to get the Sword of Boss Smitery +2. Basically, I'm looking at having the Flash be a bonus challenge/puzzle that rewards the player with a distinct advantage without being required for plot advancement or being overpowered.

This is a good idea with some drawbacks. Basically, anything gotten/killed in the flash would have to transfer over without being an "either/or" situation (how do I qualify which way the players ended the flash if there's more than one? I can't). What I could do here is, as part of a really elaborate multi-step puzzle, have the players figure out the main parts and then have the last step be solved in a flash. Viola, rewards!

Another idea might be to have a massive exploration Flash for the area the players are currently in (but probably with only one playable character). There might be a room with an object or something that spits out "codes" depending on what the players managed to do in the flash (or bring to it). There would be another object somewhere else in the area they'd have to go to out-of-flash, enter the code, and a reward pops out! Yes, I think this is an excellent idea.

For my Mario games, at least, I'm putting together a little engine for this type of stuff that I think is appropriate.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: September 27, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

I think I just doomed Zack to a cessation of existence.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:07 pm »

Oh yeah, R to reset.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 661