Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702542 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It's in the final preparative stages, but I'm retiring to sleep myself soon.

I need to finalize the combat mechanics now, and perhaps decide on how exactly the whole thing will start.

Don't worry about not getting a place though. There's no magical healing anywhere, and I'm fully expecting the first few crews to be completely lost before the game strikes a balance of some kind.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Ah. Good. Good.
Phew.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

A RTD has to be based on the metamorphica, It's hilarious.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A RTD has to be based on the metamorphica, It's hilarious.

Exactly my thoughts! OUT-OF-CONTROL SUPERSERUM GAME IS A GO!

The players are unfortunate test subjects that have three (or more/less) Mutations at any given time. Every turn (or every three turns), a mutation changes, rolled randomly on the Metamorphica. They must escape the facility and whatnot armed with... Pacifist? Restricted Diet? Kidney Stones? Oh dear. If they're lucky, they'll get the best powers (such as 400) and smash their way through their co-players and facility defenses, and whatever else attempts to attack them. You'll only have any power for a short period, though, so make good use of it...
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

That sounds really nice. Mayby make a pre-mutation roll that determines wether you jsut lose a mutation (1), a mutation gets replaced, (2,3,4, with 2 mayby having a -50 and 3 a -25 when you roll in 400 to reduce the chance of getting a 400?) or you gain a mutation (5, 6.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

I play the random mutation game.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

That sounds really nice. Mayby make a pre-mutation roll that determines wether you jsut lose a mutation (1), a mutation gets replaced, (2,3,4, with 2 mayby having a -50 and 3 a -25 when you roll in 400 to reduce the chance of getting a 400?) or you gain a mutation (5, 6.)
Well...The -25 or -50 wouldn't matter much. It just means you'd have to get a 425 or 450 instead. besides, there's 1000 different mutations. HOWEVER, maybe someone could make a list and switch all the numbers around so it isn't alphabetical, and make it a little more random?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

I am so going to use that mutation book if I run a post-nuke game.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

You are welcome for finding it, by the by.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd just have ever-replacing mutations, but if you do it like that (which works too), the -25 etc. modifiers don't really make sense. Just roll normally.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Well...The -25 or -50 wouldn't matter much. It just means you'd have to get a 425 or 450 instead. besides, there's 1000 different mutations. HOWEVER, maybe someone could make a list and switch all the numbers around so it isn't alphabetical, and make it a little more random?
Yeah, but only in 400, so if you'd roll a 2 and 425, you'd get 375 instead of a 400.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

You could change it so that 2,3,4 change how the mutation is rerolled. 2 rerolls it within its niche (i.e. within the 100 points it occupies, so you'd reroll a 382 into a 301-400), 3 rerolls it within its type (i.e. 1-400 for body, 401-700 for mind, 701-1000 for superpowers), 4 rerolls completely at random.

edit: or, heck, a simpler system. Players begin game as normal humans. Every N turns (starting with the first), everyone makes a mutation roll, a d6. If the roll result is less than the amount of mutations the player has, he gains a random mutation. If less, loses a random existing mutation. If exactly the same, a random existing mutation changes into a random mutation.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:31:13 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:06:27 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I kind of want to run an FTL-themed RtD.

A group of 4-8 players create a ship with a certian amount of points and complete tasks- the first of which would be as a trader- until they become more and more involved in the plot. Weapons and items that don't exist in FTL are added, such as cargo bays for larger, more valuable items, a factory block for producing missiles and drones from scrap, or an apartments block for transport of people and crew en masse.

Weapons and drones are further extended with "uncommon" weapons, that do not work with a regular drone or weapons control system.
For instance, a new drone system is a Kamikaze Bay. This uses a single drone to mass-produce miniature explosive drones and launch them at an enemy like weak missiles.
For "uncommon weapons", you have things such as boarding pods, EMP missiles, viral weapons, and computer virus attacks.

Most of these won't be found in a first runthrough- but the plot is changed each run.

A starting ship would look something like this:

Engine : Free, 4 total possible levels: 0/200/400/800
O2      : Free, 4 total possible levels: 0/150/300/600
Helm   : Free, 8 total possible levels: 0/100/200/400/600/800/1000/2000
Sensors:Free, 3 total possible levels: 0/250/400
Door    :Free, 3 total possible levels: 0/250/400

These items make a ship, and start at Lv.1. Engines determine how many turns you have to wait between jumps, Helm determines dodge rate (up to 1/4, maybe 1/2), Sensors determine what information is given (Lv0/Broken: No info on uninhabited rooms. Lv1: Senses damage to systems. Lv2: Senses fires and enemy units. LvMAX: Senses hull breaches and scans enemy ships.
O2 determines O2 recharge- a room has 8 units of oxygen when fully oxygenated, and loses 1 unit per turn when breached or exposed. A room next to a door that opens to space automatically loses 4 units. A unit starts losing HP at 4 units of oxygen- not enough to sustain life.
Doors: (Lv0: Doors can only be opened manually and will not close.) (Lv1: Doors can be remotely opened and closed.) (Lv2: Doors have better armor.) (LvMAX: Doors have very tough armor.)

Systems available for purchase at start:
Weapons Control - 350$
Shield Generator -350$
Medbay            -200$
Cargo Bay         -200$
Loading Arm      -150$

Weapons available for purchase at start:
Basic-
Ion Pulsar 200
Basic Laser 100
Pulse Laser 250
Missiles-
Arc Missile- 100
STAG Missile 300

You will be assinged a random augmentation based on the race you choose and the ship you build:
Races:
Human : Very basic. Known for adaptability.
Mantis : A warrior race, the Mantis are better at man-to-man combat, but their arms make fine repairs difficult.
Engi : Seemingly a race of sentient machines, these Engi are masters at repair but lack in combat ability.
Slug : The Slug have sensory organs beyond that of any other race, but lack any sort of defensive ability.
Rock : Made of earth, the Rock are solid and fireproof, but slow to walk and repair.
Zoltan : They give off energy, allowing an extra unit of power for systems, but are very easy to harm.

Flora : A plantlike race, the Flora are good at combat and repairing, but fire and lack of oxygen are very damaging to them. They require 6/8 oxygen.
Zorig : A race of nightmares, they are covered in peices of golden chitin on grey-black slug-like skin, and six tentacles from their backs ending in sharp points. Masters of combat, but cannot be healed by normal means.
Urchi : A race of squidlike aliens. They have many hands making them good at repairs and a feasible choice for combat, but they require special suits that, if damaged, can seriously threaten a Urchi's life. They must be repaired by another person.

---

A basic starting ship with four people and budget of 1400 (slightly higher than what I was considering, 1200)
Engine 1
O2      1
Helm    1
Sensors 1
Door     1
Weapons Control 1 (One weapon slot)
Shield Generator 1 (one shield unit)
Medbay            1
Cargo Bay         1
--
Basic Laser (1)
Arc Missile (1)
--
Crew:
Human/Human/Engi/Urchi

Given Augment: Shared Technology: This ship's shields and weapons charge ~25% quicker.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I was watching Star Trek and reading the Shadow Iron RTD and I realized that a Star Trek RTD would work very well as a similar type of game. You'd have away teams doing their wacky stuff and the waiting players would just mess around on the ship. I guess it'd be a lot like Einsteinian Roulette too, though I haven't read much of that.

The GM could be the captain, or that could just be a player, depending on how the GM wanted it to go. And there are an infinite amount of dumb situations you can make up in Star Trek. You want everyone to have fun? Well let's put the away team on some shady planet with aliens who are hiding something and make the ship people deal with an unknown alien disease. Boom, that's like half of Star Trek's episodes.

I guess there wouldn't be much typical fantasy loot since Starfleet wouldn't tolerate people using equipment that's too far off standard. The only exception I can see is Worf, and his uniform just has a non-functional sash.
I would totally play that. Also, I feel you need to implement redshirts into the game somehow. Like, maybe every time an attack or something is made, it gets rolled against them first and, if it takes them out, the main character it was targeting is unharmed, whereas, if it doesn't, it's rolled against the main character it originally targeted. Or maybe everyone can be redshirts.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 661