Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702184 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Guardian

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The idea is something along the lines of "experiment girl gets loose thanks to you, and by "loose" i mean "through the wormhole". You're now in a strange world of magiscience, complete with social castes.

Welcome to the lowest rung, the Impure. Your mysterious friend is one. Next, above her and you are the Mortals, which is a caste of humans evolved slightly from what you're used to thanks to magic.

And then there's the Immortals and their thought police.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Roll to Suspect That Your Friends Are Shapeshifting Aliens.

You are one of seven people in an isolated research center on an ice planet, sometime in the near future. The lifeform reader detects that there is an alien lifeform among you, but herein lies the problem: it's a shapeshifter and it cannot be detected. One of the seven has to be the shapeshifter. It gets worse. The alien shapeshifter is able to absorb people and convert them into copies of itself. It can imitate anyone perfectly, down to their personality traits and memories. The only thing it is vulnerable to is fire. Rescue arrives in seven days. Hopefully you can survive until then.

Basically, the RTD would be a fusion of mafia and RTD. One player at the start is the shapeshifting alien who can absorb others and make them into more aliens. One of the main mechanics would be days and nights. A day is three turns, and a night is one. During the day, you post your actions in the thread itself. At night, you PM your actions to me, which I roll for and reply to in secret. There may be evidence the next day of what happened during the night. The game is won when either the shapeshifters destroy/absorb all remaining humans, or the humans manage to destroy the shapeshifter/survive until rescue arrives.

I think this idea needs a few more mechanics and a little tinkering to make it interesting. Any ideas?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

So, The Thing: The RTD? I like.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the idea from an idea of mashing RTD and Mafia togther, and listening to the Thing theme.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I hit a nerve... In a good way, that is.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Roll to Suspect That Your Friends Are Shapeshifting Aliens.

You are one of seven people in an isolated research center on an ice planet, sometime in the near future. The lifeform reader detects that there is an alien lifeform among you, but herein lies the problem: it's a shapeshifter and it cannot be detected. One of the seven has to be the shapeshifter. It gets worse. The alien shapeshifter is able to absorb people and convert them into copies of itself. It can imitate anyone perfectly, down to their personality traits and memories. The only thing it is vulnerable to is fire. Rescue arrives in seven days. Hopefully you can survive until then.

Basically, the RTD would be a fusion of mafia and RTD. One player at the start is the shapeshifting alien who can absorb others and make them into more aliens. One of the main mechanics would be days and nights. A day is three turns, and a night is one. During the day, you post your actions in the thread itself. At night, you PM your actions to me, which I roll for and reply to in secret. There may be evidence the next day of what happened during the night. The game is won when either the shapeshifters destroy/absorb all remaining humans, or the humans manage to destroy the shapeshifter/survive until rescue arrives.

I think this idea needs a few more mechanics and a little tinkering to make it interesting. Any ideas?

Love the idea. maybe add a bilingual bonus of a bunch of Norwegians at the beginning yelling (in Norwegian) hints? Otherwise I got nothing except saying to throw in human relationships and a cool location. Where would it be?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking alien ice planet, but there could be cooler locales out there.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking alien ice planet, but there could be cooler locales out there.
! Idea.
Put it in the Aliens (or AvP if you so desire) universe.
That idea has no basis beyond 'it would be cool to see them fight'.
Sig! Onol

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I hope I don't sidetrack people from Fniff's idea, but I actually got a similar idea from this talk. Vaguely similar, but no single murderous alien versus humans because I personally don't like directly confrontational games.

Instead, 2/3 players are humans, while 1/3 random players are some sort of disguised intelligent aliens of various types. The game takes place in a futuristic human military research station which just so happens to be under attack by various kinds of murderous, not-so-intelligent aliens which want to eat all the players and strangely not each-other. Player aliens can be revealed by significant loss of health, EMP, contact with unusual substances, etc depending on their stealth method. Player aliens will also have special abilities and/or weaknesses and/or special items.

Every player will be given the same set of objectives to complete, and an amount of time they'll need to wait for rescue to arrive. However, the aliens all have their own secret agendas, which will almost always require a sidetrack somewhere, or will directly conflict with the human objectives, or perhaps even need kill/impair certain aliens/humans. The aliens will also not have to complete the human objectives if they don't want to, and the humans and other aliens have no reason to fulfill any single alien's objectives. As a result, the aliens will want to remain hidden, and play on everyone else, not just the humans. Because far more often then not, the aliens will need a group or a group's best weapons/items/armor to get to their objectives. Finally, no objectives are necessary to complete the game, so the players may skip them if there is a significant problem completing it, but it is recommended to at least try because... well, otherwise the game would be boring and mostly pointless.

Some humans determined either at arbitrary or set rates may also have... certain orders to eliminate certain "people", or impair/stop their progress in certain or all areas. Meanwhile, mundane humans can side with whoever the hell they want to, though obviously they shouldn't go about asking others about what their objectives are without reason as that would be metagaming.

Actions will be spoilered by groups of people, which will hopefully be not read by players in other groups on their honor, unless it's secret actions/secret conversations with others, which will instead by made by PMs. If a player makes a secret action in a group of players, other players will have to roll observation rolls to see the secret actions. And if they spot them, they'll either get a spoiler for themselves, which will either once again be an honor spoiler system, or perhaps PMs if people abuse it or if people don't trust each-other's honor.

I might run it, depending on how slow my other RTDs continue to be on creating them. Any ideas that would fit with this, any obvious problems, any complaints from Fniff about me distracting people, etc?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I approve of both ideas
Yes
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I got the idea from an idea of mashing RTD and Mafia togther, and listening to the Thing theme.
The Thing theme, you say?

As for ideas, first thing that comes to mind is that you'll probably want to get a good idea of exactly what various rolls and actions mean. You want to allow player freedom, but you don't want the game ending on the first night due to a [1] from the alien or get blindsided by a surefire blood test, for instance.

Secondly, objectives. If everyone can sit in the same room and stare at each other, the game is boring. If there's a generator that needs maintenance and the doors need to be kept clear of snow and food can't just sit there for some reason and rats keep chewing holes in the walls, everyone has an excuse and a duty to be running around near sensitive equipment and vital systems.

This in turn leads to the power suddenly cutting off and players pulling a jury-rigged flamethrower out of nowhere and people wondering if someone was really trying as hard as they could to save someone else from falling into a crevasse. It also gives more discussion material regarding priorities and so on, though again beware things getting boring via one right answer.

In that vein, you might even want to consider placing it on a more hostile planet or space station, if you feel the game would benefit from worrying about oxygen or fuel or shields or craft you can escape in.

Finally, no objectives are necessary to complete the game, so the players may skip them if there is a significant problem completing it, but it is recommended to at least try because... well, otherwise the game would be boring and mostly pointless.
I'd be wary of basing large portions of the game on "players will do this because, well, it's boring otherwise." It implies that there's no practical reason to accomplish anything and assumes players won't invent preferred goals of their own, like staying alive or killing everything. A more formal system for being forced to abandon major objectives might be better.

Actions will be spoilered by groups of people, which will hopefully be not read by players in other groups on their honor, unless it's secret actions/secret conversations with others, which will instead by made by PMs. If a player makes a secret action in a group of players, other players will have to roll observation rolls to see the secret actions. And if they spot them, they'll either get a spoiler for themselves, which will either once again be an honor spoiler system, or perhaps PMs if people abuse it or if people don't trust each-other's honor.
I'd probably just go to PMs directly instead of faffing about with potentially critical information everyone's on the honor system not to see. Either way, beware the issue with hidden actions- it's not nearly as fun to read.

I might run it, depending on how slow my other RTDs continue to be on creating them. Any ideas that would fit with this, any obvious problems, any complaints from Fniff about me distracting people, etc?
Be very, very careful with setting up the goals and mechanics. It's not enough to assume claiming your wincon and working together won't work, you've got to make sure it's just mechanically infeasible. Role-heavy or unorthodox Mafia games sometimes have this problem, where a Day 1 full claim is better (for the uninformed majority faction) than keeping your role secret like normal.

So again, run a few tests or hypotheticals breaking your own system. If everyone suddenly decides they're going to trust each other completely and work together completely, and it works, that might very well happen when you run it for real.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Finally, no objectives are necessary to complete the game, so the players may skip them if there is a significant problem completing it, but it is recommended to at least try because... well, otherwise the game would be boring and mostly pointless.
I'd be wary of basing large portions of the game on "players will do this because, well, it's boring otherwise." It implies that there's no practical reason to accomplish anything and assumes players won't invent preferred goals of their own, like staying alive or killing everything. A more formal system for being forced to abandon major objectives might be better.
But consider--unless the players in any game are being railroaded by someone or the game, they can just choose to go off and do nothing in any game at any time, can't they? Yet, they chose to follow the main quest and often side quests the GM or game developers makes up for them in some way because it's often both fun in a way and it progresses the game. And people play games because they're fun in some way (and those who don't are frankly those I don't care about at all!). I mean, heck, I've watched many SS13 videos, and there's no objectives that MUST be completed as far as I know of and people still play it. Really, I'd even imagine SS13 to be a big sub-conscious inspiration for my idea.

As for practical reasons (I assume you mean rewards), the players will be getting rewards while they explore towards their objectives (and anywhere else, but likely more towards the objectives as the players couldn't be the only ones with those objectives). There are many more people in the research base than them, they aren't a small crew. As a military research base, many of them likely would have grabbed nice stuff before they got cut down. Some might have even survived somewhere. And some objectives might even be right inside somewhere with goodies. And, heh, I might make it near impossible to escape without getting at least some gear and difficult even then.

Staying alive is already a primary objective. Why else would there be a rescue incoming? As for killing everything, that would be the antithesis of surviving (enemies may be hard, and often may be numerous) and I would end the game anyway once the rescue ship arrives and leaves (and yes, it will leave without the players if nobody is there for a while), meaning they wouldn't get the chance most likely.

Also, I am fully okay with people forming their own objectives out of the blue, like getting weapons from an armory or destroying a random room because they can (though destroying the only room out... heh, may be a bad idea!).

As for formal ways of cancelling, well, possibly, but I don't want to railroad everyone's character more than their character would be if it were in... "reality". Their characters wouldn't be forced by an outside force to finish an objective if it were reality. Honestly, railroading at all besides rescue is not in my idea of the game at all.

I'd probably just go to PMs directly instead of faffing about with potentially critical information everyone's on the honor system not to see. Either way, beware the issue with hidden actions- it's not nearly as fun to read.
For honor between groups, it honestly isn't likely to be critical. If it is, people should secretly preform them anyway. I'm... not going to PM the entire game, that would be too far for me. If the players mess up it's their fault. If people use it to cheat, then I'll punish those who act on it and likely be very upset afterwards (which does mean something when my games are dictated almost entirely by me!).

As for spotting, I don't really care either way. I'll likely call for a vote or something if the game should start.

I know that hidden actions aren't fun to read, yeah. Hopefully the players will expose things to the readers of their own will or give permission or something. Maybe after the secret actions are moot I'll expose what they did then. Eh, not up to me, it's up to the players. I trust humanity with some grains of salt. :P

Be very, very careful with setting up the goals and mechanics. It's not enough to assume claiming your wincon and working together won't work, you've got to make sure it's just mechanically infeasible.
At times, I'll definitely be sure to make things incompatible when it matters. Or at least incompatible with those who don't think too much before they act. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly fine with cooperation even when it's unlikely! I don't like directly competitive games where there can only be one or a few winners. I want to give everyone the chance to do their objectives their own way, selfishly or "selflessly". And give them the option to skip it if they don't want to mess with others.

If, say, I give someone an objective of "shut down X", but everyone else has an objective of "take Y from X", I would be perfectly fine if the person cooperated and waited for everyone to be done. The aliens won't always be direct enemies of humanity. If am not fine with cooperation at any time, I would state something like "shut down X, do not let anything be taken from it". Where cooperation would fail the objective. But, of course, not the game.

Role-heavy or unorthodox Mafia games sometimes have this problem, where a Day 1 full claim is better (for the uninformed majority faction) than keeping your role secret like normal.
Well, if that happened, I would most likely severely punish everyone who did so and very likely deny them the game if everyone did that. I would also remember it for any of my future games.

Also, like I said, people may get objectives to murder or stop others. Where if it were obvious then there would very likely be conflict there.

So again, run a few tests or hypotheticals breaking your own system. If everyone suddenly decides they're going to trust each other completely and work together completely, and it works, that might very well happen when you run it for real.
Yep, I'll check that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:54:21 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Yup, if you're going with optional stuff, make sure it has consequences.

Like making a detour to the lab to look for interesting weaponry, a detour to the central lifesupport system to stop aliens from using the vents to sneak upon people. Others are visiting the primary power core in order to get perimeter defenses back online, or the fuel tanks so that you get to use the larger ships, rather than the escape pods, which are located further away. You can also do RP thingies, like getting into telecoms to send an emergency message (or a warning), or going to the primary core to trigger it into melting down(destroying the base, so that the pests are eradicated with it

Edit: Ninjad

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

But consider--unless the players in any game are being railroaded by someone or the game, they can just choose to go off and do nothing in any game at any time, can't they? Yet, they chose to follow the main quest and often side quests the GM or game developers makes up for them in some way because it's often both fun in a way and it progresses the game. And people play games because they're fun in some way (and those who don't are frankly those I don't care about at all!). I mean, heck, I've watched many SS13 videos, and there's no objectives that MUST be completed as far as I know of and people still play it. Really, I'd even imagine SS13 to be a big sub-conscious inspiration for my idea.

As for practical reasons (I assume you mean rewards), the players will be getting rewards while they explore towards their objectives (and anywhere else, but likely more towards the objectives as the players couldn't be the only ones with those objectives). There are many more people in the research base than them, they aren't a small crew. As a military research base, many of them likely would have grabbed nice stuff before they got cut down. Some might have even survived somewhere. And some objectives might even be right inside somewhere with goodies. And, heh, I might make it near impossible to escape without getting at least some gear and difficult even then.

Staying alive is already a primary objective. Why else would there be a rescue incoming? As for killing everything, that would be the antithesis of surviving (enemies may be hard, and often may be numerous) and I would end the game anyway once the rescue ship arrives and leaves (and yes, it will leave without the players if nobody is there for a while), meaning they wouldn't get the chance most likely.

Also, I am fully okay with people forming their own objectives out of the blue, like getting weapons from an armory or destroying a random room because they can (though destroying the only room out... heh, may be a bad idea!).

As for formal ways of cancelling, well, possibly, but I don't want to railroad everyone's character more than their character would be if it were in... "reality". Their characters wouldn't be forced by an outside force to finish an objective if it were reality. Honestly, railroading at all besides rescue is not in my idea of the game at all.
Yes, but most objectives people actually follow are either very intuitive, mechanically beneficial, or mechanically detrimental to not follow. Staying alive would be a good example of all three- it's a very obvious goal for its own sake, it lets you do a lot of other things, and failing it carries consequences.

Where you run into trouble is when you have intuitive or weaker goals that conflict with the other two, since then rationally, there's no actual reason to complete them. Players kill themselves all the time when it suits their purposes, for instance, despite staying alive quite well under other, less beneficial circumstances.

In this case, you're essentially saying that major objectives can be abandoned "if you have to," without really defining what "have to" means. That's just begging for someone to decide you know what, screw it, they're just going to hide in a closet or run for the escape pod instead of going back for the datachip or protecting the VIP.

Yes, that'll usually be more boring than the other thing, and thus not all players will opt for it, but the tougher the decisions they have to make, the more they'll realize that there's actually no benefit to completing their goals, because their goals get themselves and/or others killed and that's even more boring, or maybe even not something they can justify doing to their fellow players.

At times, I'll definitely be sure to make things incompatible when it matters. Or at least incompatible with those who don't think too much before they act. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly fine with cooperation even when it's unlikely! I don't like directly competitive games where there can only be one or a few winners. I want to give everyone the chance to do their objectives their own way, selfishly or "selflessly". And give them the option to skip it if they don't want to mess with others.

If, say, I give someone an objective of "shut down X", but everyone else has an objective of "take Y from X", I would be perfectly fine if the person cooperated and waited for everyone to be done. The aliens won't always be direct enemies of humanity. If am not fine with cooperation at any time, I would state something like "shut down X, do not let anything be taken from it". Where cooperation would fail the objective. But, of course, not the game.
I certainly understand the sentiment, but hidden or antagonistic objectives tend to be directly opposed to teamwork and mutual benefit. It's hard to stop players from coalescing into full alliances once they figure out that everyone can win.

Potentially you can get around this somewhat by just letting full cooperation be the default state and then throwing occasional treachery, but that's a much harder scenario to build around than a more guarded setup where not everybody can necessarily succeed.

Well, if that happened, I would most likely severely punish everyone who did so and very likely deny them the game if everyone did that. I would also remember it for any of my future games.

Also, like I said, people may get objectives to murder or stop others. Where if it were obvious then there would very likely be conflict there.
See, this is the kind of thing I'm concerned about. If your solution to a given scenario is to become enraged, end the game, and blacklist the participants... it seems to imply that there was absolutely no in-game reason for them not to do that and the game was incredibly poorly designed on that front.

Plus, arbitrary rules tend to leak. With a mechanical reason not to do something, half-doing it or doing things similar to it tend to be half-bad or similarly bad, which can still sometimes be worthwhile but typically not. With an arbitrary rule... it's likely that the benefits are still half there or similarly there, but since the downside is arbitrary, you end up with a very compelling reason for players to get as close to the forbidden actions as possible without actually triggering them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 661