Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702289 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7050 on: September 30, 2013, 10:18:37 am »

I can't remember if I posted this before: http://anydice.com/

It's an awesome resource for developing mechanics. As far as I can tell you can graph the results of any possible dice operation.

Do crits come too often or too seldom? What's the median damage for that monster? How often will actions fail with a modifier of X? Now you know.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7051 on: September 30, 2013, 02:23:14 pm »

Wow... it's actually capable of handling (1d4)d4, I'm shocked.
And actually rolling it, very impressive.
I like how that graph looks, too. The (1d4)d6 graph is even more impressive. We can see a major dip between 6 and 7, and we can see one between 12 and 13, and the one between 18 and 19 is not actually visible, but it is there.
So, say 5 was an easy task, 10 was somewhat difficult, and 15 was really hard. 20 is "Never tell me the odds".
Checking the Table/Atleast view, we see PCs would have a 78% chance of doing an easy task (more than a normal RtD odds), a 42% chance of completing a difficult one, and a 13% chance of completing a really hard one. They have a 1.4% chance of successfully navigating an asteroid field.

Cool, I'm going to learn the advanced programing of dice rolls to further analyze Battle Arena.

Edit: What I have so far:

Edit 2: Reducing the function depth to 3 causes it to return "I cannot find a function that matches [?]"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:01:33 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: September 30, 2013, 06:10:15 pm »

Double post, 'cause I got it working (though only with small amounts of dice, 8 is too many).

Final code:
Code: [Select]
N: 1

function: threshold R:n {
 if R >= THRESHOLD { result: R + [threshold d6] }
 result: R
}

set "maximum function depth" to 3

THRESHOLD: 6
Y: Nd[threshold d6]
X: N/2
output [count 1 in Y]>X named "fumble not extended"
output [count {1,2} in Y]>X named "fumble extended"
output [count 3 in Y]>X named "wild not extended"
output [count {2..3} in Y]>X named "wild extended"
output [count 6 in Y]>X named "critical not extended"
output [count {5,6} in Y]>X named "critical extended"
output [count {5,6} in Y]>X named "success not extended"
output [count {4..6} in Y]>X named "success extended"
THRESHOLD: 5
Y: Nd[threshold d6]
output [count 1 in Y]>X named "fumble rerolls extended"
output [count 3 in Y]>X named "wild rerolls extended"
output [count 6 in Y]>X named "critical rerolls extended"
output [count {5,6} in Y]>X named "success rerolls extended"

However, it is incapable of saying you got a critical hit if it rerolls, so you have to either add the rerolls to the hits, or you can't use it with an extended reroll, apparently.
Good thing this tool is just for analysis.

Edit: Your odds of success just get worse and worse the more dice you add. :p Apparently you want LOW stats in that game if you're planning on actually hitting, even though higher stats mean you can do more damage.

:( Too bad it ended so soon. Mastahcheese, if you see this, how's the sequel coming (1/10s of a second turns you said?)?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:14:43 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: September 30, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »

I'm totally tempted to do some really strange shit with an idea I had.

Amorphous Plus + Jojo's Bizarre Adventure + the contents of recent ideas

You're a settler for the colonization of a new planet, when suddenly aliens, blah blah haven't plotted the plot...

You have to clear out hives of various amoeba-like creatures... except for the fact that they're easily mutated and come in thousands of species, each successive one seemingly more and more dangerous. You'll get quite a few toys to help you clear a nest, but mainly, you'll have:

Armor Abilities, one for your Legs, Arms, and Torso. These will make you more able to survive in a hive, by protecting you from the various attacks that the enemy amoebas have.

Your other key item is your Big Fucking Sword. While that's not the technical term, it's a very good description. All the swords are huge, and you need the power armor to lift them. Even with that, they can feel heavy, like a sword should.

You've also got three slots for Equipment. This can be anything from a one-use item to a drone or something. I have a few in mind, might list them later.
---

As far as enemy types, you start with the weakest of them all: the Drone. It can't damage you, dies in one hit from practically anything, the only thing it can do to you is bump into you on accident and cause you to stumble, and it's barely able to do that. Most of the time, they pass you by without doing anything.

A good example of a normal enemy is the Roller. They've got hard shells, and roll after you in an attempt to knock you over. They're not really that good at killing things, and unless you're already injured they won't be able to, but they are capable of doing some damage.

A lethal enemy to fight is the Biter. Similar to a roller, but they're softer. They also have sharp teeth bristling out of their membranes. Their signature is to lunge at you, teeth bared, and if you're unarmored and can't block or strike before it hits you're as good as dead. They don't actually eat you, their teeth are for defending the hive.

An advanced enemy would be the Hunter. These guys are Biters, but more evil. First, they're hairy. Their thick fur makes it hard to land a square blow to their body, and your sword will have to strike more than once to slay one. They're better Biters, in that they do a biter's job better.

A sub boss enemy would be the Horror. What do you get when you take multiple Biters and stick them together? A Horror. Large blue masses with many, many gyrating teeth, they resemble buzzsaws. They are also able to spit their teeth at a foe, or split apart into four separate disks to surround a foe before reforming around the nucleus. The nucleus is nigh-impervious until it does this, and therefore, is very hard to kill.

A boss enemy would be named "Duke", "Queen", "King", or a similar title followed by the name of the enemy it most resembles. Most bosses are named after Normal class enemies. You may run into, say, a Queen Biter. She would have four toothy disks much like the Horror constantly swirling around her. She'd only drop her guard when lunging for a foe, or possibly if you knock one of her disks into her. She's much like a Horror in that coming into contact with her while she's in the invulnerable state, it's a lethal encounter, although she does not directly copy the gyrating teeth (she simply absorbs you and pulls you in with teeth.

---

Say I had:

TORSO: HAZARD suit (Impervious to most of the fluids of Amoebas, such as acids or sticky gel.
ARMS: WILD arms (Better chance to block/counter an attacking enemy, faster sword swings)
LEGS: VANGUARD legs (Being bumped into dosen't steal your next turn.)
SWORD: ZATO-1 (A long, but thin blade. Faster swings, longer reach, less power.)
E1: BOXGUN (A backpack-sized box that folds out into an automatic, .50 caliber turret. Fires somewhat slowly, but won't/can't be damaged by many things and is steady for as long as it has ammo. Explodes when it runs out of ammunition. Recharges.)
E2: REACT TRAP (A grenade that releases aerosol-based bait. When attacked by an attracted amoeba, it explodes. Recharges.)
E3: BLADE PLUS (Removes limits of the blade you're using, as well as the interface between it and your arms. Temporarily allows for instant-kill slashes and special maneuvers, but steals a turn when it runs out. Recharges.)

---

The items that recharge (multiple uses) that don't seem to make sense use a GPS tracker and the Homeland's (your colony) ability to teleport items to replenish your stock when able.

You'd work in a team of 4. Other systems:

Health:
Godly- One step above Healthy, this can only be achieved with certain equipment, or other means (adrenaline rush when at full Health, possibly.) Any successful attack leaves you at Healthy, even if it was to be instantly fatal.)
Healthy- Normal. No penalties, no gains. You feel pretty good.
Nominal- You maybe have a slight bruise. No penalties. You feel OK. Very rarely will this happen, unless you get bumped into a lot.
Injured- You've been wounded, but you can still fight. -1 to all actions until you're healed or get a natural 6 on an attack roll. Get a 1, and you'll injure yourself further.
Critically Wounded- Unable to act, unconscious, or severely mangled. Near death- roll a d6 every turn. 6= move up to Injured, 1= Dead. Being attacked while in this state is lethal.
Dead- You Are Dead.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: September 30, 2013, 06:44:42 pm »

You had me at Jojo...  and then I was confused because I didn't see the Jojo in it

Unless you meant like the puzzle enemy fight style? I'm still confused.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:52:13 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: September 30, 2013, 06:46:24 pm »

A game based off amorphous plus...?
I'm shoving my money at the screen, but it's not doing anything!

Duke Drone
Queen Biter
King Hunter
Queen Horror
Duke Grinder
King Grey
Emperor Void Eater

So many potential boss ideas... mwahahaha!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:56:12 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: September 30, 2013, 07:02:22 pm »

err

wait yeah

i totally forgot about that.

As I was typing the idea changed, I forgot to include that as an equipment option, you could have very-similar-to-stands type things that you can activate or deactivate at will- if you were to die while it's active, it takes the hit for you, if you have it out and it takes a lethal blow, it's gone for the match and has a chance of leaving you Injured.

Derp.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: September 30, 2013, 07:14:22 pm »

Is this including the crazy powers? (I was gonna ask about ORA, but then realized that should be a given :P)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: September 30, 2013, 07:20:54 pm »

Yeah, craziness is allowed for sure. Rolling a 6 when fighting that Queen in the example could easily be "I'M GOING FISTICUFFS WITH THIS THING HOLD MY SWORD"

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »

Expect a high mortality rate ;)  :P

What are the odds of any boss-versions of the Gray or Void eater, anyways?

What would the duke drone be like?

Or King Hunter? Seriously, if I had to guess, it'd be so hairy it would use the hairs to slice you into a fine dust.
The Cyan Menace

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: September 30, 2013, 07:28:02 pm »

Yeah, craziness is allowed for sure. Rolling a 6 when fighting that Queen in the example could easily be "I'M GOING FISTICUFFS WITH THIS THING HOLD MY SWORD"

Well I meant the creative stand powers; but that sounds awesome too!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:38:00 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: September 30, 2013, 11:02:53 pm »

A game based off amorphous plus...?
I'm shoving my money at the screen, but it's not doing anything!

This, except I'm too poor to shove money at my screen, so I'm threatening it with a pipewrench.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: September 30, 2013, 11:24:45 pm »

*searches the two up* Can I apply for the waitlist now?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: September 30, 2013, 11:38:26 pm »

Well I meant the creative stand powers; but that sounds awesome too!

But seriously, will the stands just punch things, or will we be able to have ones like Sticky Fingers, Gold Experience, and Heaven's Door?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: October 01, 2013, 02:52:26 pm »

Not sure. The game had the loosest basing on Jojo, so... probably not.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 661