Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702527 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7110 on: October 09, 2013, 08:40:41 am »

Uh... can someone please give me some feedback? If not, I really will go ahead and build a coherent set of physics for legos (With rules for any arbitrary shape even those funky Studs Not On Top things. Kind of like how the periodic table comes from strong, weak, and electromagnetic interactions in our universe.) Brikwars did look good though, and if an adventure game gets picked, some of its rules may have descended from it.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7111 on: October 09, 2013, 08:59:40 am »

I'm not sure how to give feedback on the lifebuilding concepts because I can't really picture how that would work at all, nevermind in RTD form.

I can picture an arena combat where you get to build your own vehicle or something having the potential to be fun.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: October 09, 2013, 11:17:54 am »

Uh... can someone please give me some feedback? If not, I really will go ahead and build a coherent set of physics for legos (With rules for any arbitrary shape even those funky Studs Not On Top things. Kind of like how the periodic table comes from strong, weak, and electromagnetic interactions in our universe.) Brikwars did look good though, and if an adventure game gets picked, some of its rules may have descended from it.
I was not awake yet at the time you posted it, but I really like Door Number 2, the adventure game. It would probably be good to borrow some rules from Brikwars, and you may want to borrow some ideas from Brickquest, especially the buildable character sheet.

Also, I echo Furtuka's earlier sentiment about wishing there was a way to play Brikwars over the internet.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: October 09, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »

Mmm. I looked last night and apparently the Brikwars forums devloped a way, but tis hard to follow and removes the fun of building your own army because you have to use prebuilt ones made by the GM
It's FEF, not FEOF

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: October 09, 2013, 01:29:53 pm »

I had an idea today. An RTD about quackery! Well, maybe not an RTD necessarily, as it would be quite RP-heavy, but a game at the very least.

Anyhow, the point of the game is this: there's one constant in this world we live in, and that's fear. People live in fear by their very natures, and seek safety and security in their lives mostly. They would like nothing better than to attain their goal, and are prepared to spend quite a lot of time and money on this. That's where you and a whole lot of other enterprising people come in. Wielding the mighty power of pseudoscience harnessed into a single product or teaching, you are about to sell hope to all these desperate, depressed, dying, dismal people and improve some lives! Those of you and your associates, mostly, but hey, gotta earn a living somehow.

Problem is, you're not the only one to have this idea. And there is no shortage of those who have failed miserably in the mystical quackery market already. To survive and possibly thrive in this merciless business, you have to be the best, or at least better than the others, and subvert men and women of science, uneducated skeptics and the general public, not to mention your possibly malevolent competitors. This can be done in any number of ways, starting with sheer chutzpah and ending with clandestine murder and sabotage.

All in all, fun for the whole family. Haven't got a lot of ideas mechanics-wise, although I do think there are two elements that would be fun to include. Firstly, the methods of your quackery would have to be defined - whether they are technique-based or item-based, that sort of thing - and secondly, the player, when submitting their sheet, would have to post a detailed explanation on why their proposed method to end maladies of many sorts is not actually a sham at all, including pre-emptive answers to skepticism and vaguely sciency-sounding explanations if possible.

Any thoughts?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: October 09, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »

I have to say that I love the concept, but there is the problem of the game requiring some knowldedge in many subjects to be effective. Also, the level of sillyness would have to be defined beforehand.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: October 09, 2013, 01:41:41 pm »

I have to say that I love the concept, but there is the problem of the game requiring some knowldedge in many subjects to be effective. Also, the level of sillyness would have to be defined beforehand.

Well, the important thing really is for it to seem like you know what you're talking about. And the silliness is up to the GM, naturally, although the premise of the game includes that what the players try to peddle doesn't actually work in any effective way.

Also, it seems that in this case it would be better to have more silliness than less of it, as the game is mostly about lying creatively and convincingly, inventing ways to appeal to human fallibility.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: October 09, 2013, 01:52:22 pm »

Well, the important thing really is for it to seem like you know what you're talking about.

For a moment I was sure you were talking about GMing and I was going to nod sagely. But anyway, I think the idea is excellent. Really not sure how you'd get it to work. Possibly different methods of convincing people - live tv demonstrations or ethics committees or investors. Hmm.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: October 09, 2013, 02:01:45 pm »

I actually wrote up a system for convincing people, coincidentally enough. There's two stats, Composure and Persuasion. Composure measures how long they're going to listen to your ideas before they get bored or become convinced that you are actually a loony/quack. It counts down every turn until it hits zero, at which point the conversation is over. Persuasion measures how much they believe you and are willing to accept your ideas. This starts out at 0 (Though it can start out at a negative number if you want to simulate a skeptic) and depending on how you roll/argue (Depending if you want a rolling or RP based version of this) will rise by increments until it hits the maximum amount (100, though you can change it to be lower or higher) at which point they are convinced.

As for ways of convincing people, you could go with replacing regular skills with stuff like "technobabble", "vaguely mystical gibberish", "playing to the crowd", or "paying actors to show that your miracle machine actually works".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:03:49 pm by Fniff »

Juppah

• Bay Watcher
  • OH. YEAH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: October 09, 2013, 02:34:26 pm »

This is irrelevant to the Quackery RTD- Sorry but I wanted to ask you guys something. Has anybody made an RTD where you play as a God? No I don't mean "You have infinite power now go mess the world up". But more like you start out as a little baby god (:3) who was just created from the primal energies of the universe and you crash land on earth and have to evolve into a powerful being of super-godly-awesomeness.
I started brainstorming on this and wrote some things down but I didn't want to spend to much time on it if it had already been done or it doesn't seem interesting.

So far I have:
The Setting- Earth about 130,000 years ago (At the start of the game).

Starting Forms- Players would randomly be assigned to one of nine. When in these forms the characters are pure energy with almost no physical ties. I am okay with randomly assigning them because when you get a physical form you can look like whatever pleases you.

Character Stats- Which would exclude things like dexterity, strength, and charisma seeing as you are made of energy.

Evolution Mechanisms- Consuming other "living" energy forms, being worshiped by any living thing (Including other gods and even mushrooms!)

(some)Current Gods- These would be the NPC gods that would offer the players protection and a faction until they can fend for themselves against opposing gods.

A Slightly Different Die System- It's a secret for now >,>

I just wanted to know if anybody likes(or is forced to eject the contents of their stomach by) the idea.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: October 09, 2013, 02:50:13 pm »

Certainly a good idea. I was actually about to propose something similar myself, although my idea would have involved divinely touched humans (or other creatures) slowly becoming gods through embodying certain character traits.

Also, being worshiped by mushrooms sounds wonderful. Perhaps you should let the players begin as the first baby gods, though. And have players choose exactly how far in the past they want to start, with the very earliest being 4 or so billion years ago.

Juppah

• Bay Watcher
  • OH. YEAH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: October 09, 2013, 02:57:52 pm »

Certainly a good idea. I was actually about to propose something similar myself, although my idea would have involved divinely touched humans (or other creatures) slowly becoming gods through embodying certain character traits.

Also, being worshiped by mushrooms sounds wonderful. Perhaps you should let the players begin as the first baby gods, though. And have players choose exactly how far in the past they want to start, with the very earliest being 4 or so billion years ago.

That was another option. Then once those people evolve into powerful gods the second round of players would come in and join them as baby gods.

I am going to take this as a +1 to the "keep developing" pool. ;)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: October 09, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »

Okay, so the life thing is out as a(n?) RtD, but I have started work on the physics and such, so I'll put that up in creative projects for anyone who wants to collaborate on creating a petri dish sized universe. (Because all calculations will be done manually, the universe will get no larger until someone turns it into a computer program. This will happen, though, and we might see multicellular algae type things at that point.)

However, the adventure should be viable. I'll get to work on the rules in my spare spare time. (My regular spare time being taken up by the design of a lego universe capable of harboring life.) Any suggestions on setting? Or should I just go brikwars on it and put everything?
Also, thank you for the links and references to brikwars and Brickquest, they both look interesting.

Juppah

• Bay Watcher
  • OH. YEAH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:14 pm »

Mushrooms worshipping? I'M IN.

Well you know it could be trees or kangaroos or I guess if you tried hard enough even tapeworms (Whoa demigod tape worms that invade worshipers of other gods and make them worship you!!!! :D) But yay! The "keep developing" now has 2 votes ^_^.

P.S. You won't gain worshipers until around early middle game so make sure that isn't the only reason you are in.
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 661