Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699454 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7620 on: January 15, 2014, 01:12:51 am »

You could always have, say, four player slots for the badass classes above, and then let some waitlisters play as the peasant militia. :P Bonus points if they survive long enough to become badass themselves!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7621 on: January 15, 2014, 01:30:15 am »

I'd join that.

As the militia, of course, because I like that feeling when you've to really fight and think rather than attack attack attack. :P

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: January 15, 2014, 03:04:37 am »

Guys, I'm currently planning a game that is pretty much an adaption of a bunch of video game settings.

The worlds I was gonna run with were:
Bioshock - Rapture
Halo
Fable - probably 1
Kirby's Dreamland
Borderlands
The Darkness - video game version
Mortal Kombat

The players would get an artifact like a teleporter that would let them move between the worlds, bringing weapons and abilities with them. Anyone got any advice?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: January 15, 2014, 03:29:06 am »

Guys, I'm currently planning a game that is pretty much an adaption of a bunch of video game settings.

Bioshock - Rapture
Halo
Fable - probably 1
Kirby's Dreamland
Borderlands
Mortal Kombat

The players would get an artifact like a teleporter that would let them move between the worlds, bringing weapons and abilities with them. Anyone got any advice?

Hey, another incarnation of Multiworld Madness! You should definitely do that, I'd say. Don't take too many players, though. It'll bite you and it'll bite you badly.

You could always have, say, four player slots for the badass classes above, and then let some waitlisters play as the peasant militia. :P Bonus points if they survive long enough to become badass themselves!

Better yet, let the players play as peasant militia (a 6-pack of them, in fact, to reflect their decreased durability - once that runs out, the player is considered out), while the waitlisters give suggestions on what the grizzled badasses will do next if they want to.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: January 15, 2014, 03:36:03 am »

Bioshock - Rapture
Halo
Fable - probably 1
Kirby's Dreamland
Borderlands
Mortal Kombat

Hey, another incarnation of Multiworld Madness! You should definitely do that, I'd say. Don't take too many players, though. It'll bite you and it'll bite you badly.
I was thinking four players at most, maybe three if that was too much to keep track of. The entire idea of this is that it's pretty much a writing exercise for me; trying to combine so many genres and somehow finding a way to balance Will, ADAM, future weaponry, the power of the Darkness and straight up fist fighting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: January 15, 2014, 04:48:52 am »

Bioshock - Rapture
Halo
Fable - probably 1
Kirby's Dreamland
Borderlands
Mortal Kombat

I was thinking four players at most, maybe three if that was too much to keep track of. The entire idea of this is that it's pretty much a writing exercise for me; trying to combine so many genres and somehow finding a way to balance Will, ADAM, future weaponry, the power of the Darkness and straight up fist fighting.
Sounds loopy and amusing.

My advice would be as follows:

1. Make sure you have a way to control the players. Left to their own devices, players tend to be aimless and oddly docile, grinding skills wherever they happen to be standing, sometimes while waiting for something interesting to happen. Getting the feel of cycling through worlds will probably work better if they have a reason to or can't avoid it, as opposed to waiting for them to get enough consensus to world-hop for a new skill or a daft plan.

2. Consider what you want the worlds to mean, if possible in a very uniform sense. It's fine to just sort of wing how Heroism compares to ADAM if that's what you want to do, but players tend to be very creative and strange- given the option, someone will inevitably skip over Time Slow and Fire Breath to attempt to puff-double-jump like Kirby, enhance themselves using Borderlands gun mechanics, ADAM themselves into having more Will, figure out how to wield The Light instead of The Darkness, see if Hell exists in Halo, use a plasma core to power their lightning hands, and see if ranged aiming perks work with attempts to rip a foe's heart out of their chest with their bare hands.

Again, if you want to just shrug and deal with all that when it happens, that's fine. If not, you might want to give some thought to how worlds and powers and skills and the like will work in a more general sense, rather than just dealing with it on the fly and with no particular overarching philosophy.

3. Consider some kind of overarching enemy. It's cliche, but having a coherent, recognizable foe can be more satisfying and interesting than just battling the locals whenever they pop up.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: January 15, 2014, 05:06:24 am »

3. Consider some kind of overarching enemy. It's cliche, but having a coherent, recognizable foe can be more satisfying and interesting than just battling the locals whenever they pop up.

A race of complete asshole aliens who you need to roll for the interference of whenever somebody rolls a 1! They could take different shapes (for instance, an everyday object could turn out to be such an alien), and they would consistently try to irritate and humiliate the players, crush their dreams and ruin their quests. Across multiple dimensions, if possible.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: January 15, 2014, 05:23:57 am »

I'm thinking of making Kirby the big bad. Mostly just because it gives me a villain I can conveniently power up whenever the fuck I feel like it, but also because he's so goddamned adorable.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: January 15, 2014, 05:40:26 am »

I'm thinking of making Kirby the big bad. Mostly just because it gives me a villain I can conveniently power up whenever the fuck I feel like it, but also because he's so goddamned adorable.

Well, he does devour lots of innocents, apparently, and seems as alien and immoral in his motives as any videogame character. He's perfect for the job. Particularly if he hops to interesting universes.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:56 am »

Well, he does devour lots of innocents, apparently, and seems as alien and immoral in his motives as any videogame character. He's perfect for the job. Particularly if he hops to interesting universes.
Think Kirby/ADAM-jacked Fontaine/Raiden/The Angelus combo. I'm planning for players to die horribly. At least if they can subvert the Vitachambers of Rapture they'll be able to respawn if they die in that world.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: January 15, 2014, 07:51:47 am »

So far, people can have:
-ADAM
-Will
-The Darkness
-Being A Siren

Maybe more later if I feel generous.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:12 am »

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll add the militia class and let the waitlisters play as 'em.

Edit: ok, added the peasant class for *waitlisters* (not so much now)
If you die as a PDF when your a waitlister, then you have to wait till one of the normal players die before you can do anything.

Death certificate:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:25:15 am by WhitiusOpus »
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:08 am »

I was thinking of doing a multifactional thing. Six players, divided into groups of two or three. They have to work against the other factions. Everything is visible, but you can do secret actions which get secret replies from me. Which would be better for this: three factions or two?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: January 15, 2014, 12:47:33 pm »

Three, as long as you can keep up with the workload.
The more dastardly plots and backstabbing the merrier!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: January 15, 2014, 02:26:56 pm »

Think Kirby/ADAM-jacked Fontaine/Raiden/The Angelus combo. I'm planning for players to die horribly. At least if they can subvert the Vitachambers of Rapture they'll be able to respawn if they die in that world.
Holy crap. That'll be... interesting.

And by interesting I mean OH GODS NO HE'S BACK RUN LEAVE HIM BEHIND HE'S DEAD ALREADY

!

Oh hey, you could totally do an FTL-style "Kirby is tracking you, keep on the move" style mechanic if you wanted to. Feel free to stay in this world as long as you like! Just, you know, past Turn 8 it kind of jumps straight to "forever."

I was thinking of doing a multifactional thing. Six players, divided into groups of two or three. They have to work against the other factions. Everything is visible, but you can do secret actions which get secret replies from me. Which would be better for this: three factions or two?
I tend to find triangles are more interesting in most competitive situations. With two opposing teams, you always know who you want to disadvantage, and you always know who's trying to disadvantage you. With two enemies who are at war with each other as well as yourself, that equation gets a lot more complicated.

For better or worse, it also tends to be more stable, since in theory players will recognize when one faction is weaker and thus less of a threat, and shift focus to the other, more credible danger... allowing the crippled faction to recover some.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 661