Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 703637 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7650 on: January 20, 2014, 10:21:04 pm »

Made a magic system based off sacrificing things to dark gods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you guys think?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7651 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:41 pm »

Asuming the arm includes the fingers+hands, etc, the gain from an entire other person:
4x arm leg: 15
7x Sensory organs (skin, tongue, nose, 2x ear, 2x eye): 49
6x Major organs (1x lung, 1x kidney, liver, stomach, bladder, pancreas): 60
4x Minor organs (Intestines, 1x lung, 1x kidney, spleen): 20
Heart+brain: 35
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
179 for a full live sacrifice.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7652 on: January 20, 2014, 10:49:35 pm »

Made a magic system based off sacrificing things to dark gods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you guys think?
What would the player's goal be?

And I dunno about the whole sacrifice deal. There's some weird risk:reward stuff going on. Can't really tell how balanced the three different sacrificial methods are.

And if you had captured some dude who was alive, why wouldn't you just sacrifice the whole body every time?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: January 20, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »

Mabye it's a suggestion game?

A arena game wouldn't work with the green eyed man, and an aspiration or memory or hope one personality trait or even quirk wouldn't be worth much there either.

But a free roaming sandbox with like five evil lords would be nice, slowly destroying a town as they sacrifice people to the gods, and fending off heros or mind controlling them, that would be cool.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: January 20, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »

The players goals are probably the same sort of goals people making deals with the devil have: desperation, greed, and stupidity. The balance is kinda odd: it is meant to be tipped against the players and make them feel not in control.

About the large number of points from sacrificing someone/the pointlessness of sacrificing individual body parts: perhaps living beings actually nets SP points (Let's say, 5), but sacrificing your own limbs (Same prices as on the list) gets you more stuff from it? So you either have to kill a lot of people or sacrifice your own limbs and organs.

And it's meant for a grim sort of an RTD where surviving is the main goal, combat is brutal, and the universe is horribly unfair. Hence why the spell systemmis Faustian.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: January 21, 2014, 11:24:37 pm »

Just an idea I want to run by some people:

Another Perplexicon styled game... kind of.

I realize they're the opposite of original at the moment, but I'd put my own spin on it. It will will be alchemy instead of magic. I'll base it around alchemy. There will be ingredients, solvents, and depending on how you mix them together and what you do to the solution, you'll get varying results. They won't be able to form new items, but can add properties onto items that can be bought. The main way it changes the dynamics is in that people will quickly run out of ingredients, requiring them to kill others in order to get more ingredients. Also, there will be a winner, a final goal. My hope is that this will speed up and add to the action going on at any time and lead to more bloodshed and !!FUN!!.

another mechanic will be that when someone dies because someone else killed them, nobody will spawn until their killer is killed. This leads to the winner being the first person to kill everyone else on the map and be left the last man standing.

There would be more of an explanation, a great many ingredients, and plenty of solvents to dissolve them in and ways to prepare your concoctions, but I'd like to know if you think these ideas make sense, if the changes would achieve what I want them to, and if the game's idea would be well received or rejected based on its unorigonality.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: January 22, 2014, 01:31:49 am »

Welp my game is ready for character sheets.

Question: if stats cap at 5 (for now) and there are 7 stats, would 15 points to distribute be reasonable?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »

Tsuchi's Class Gears System
Creating classes for a fantasy game can lead to "Mages can't be punchy", or the opposite "Why wouldn't my mage be punchy?". While this isn't always the case, I think I've married structure to choice here pretty well.

Class Gear
      |
Main Gear - Skill Gear

The Main Gear is what you'd consider a basic character- body type, if stats are normal for that body type or shifted up or down in some way, preferred weapon or owned weapon, useable weapon or owned sidearm, and a skill or extra equipment.

The Class Gear attaches to the Main Gear by giving a new Ability, augmenting one of the Weapon aspects of the main gear in some way, and gives a unique equipment.

The Skill Gear also connects to the Main Gear, and offer more slight mods- to stats, a new ability, abilities that affect other abilities, generally something that could be added to any character feasibly. Skill Gears should remain balanced to "slight addition", a major boost to a stat should have drawbacks.

Other gears can be added for game-specific additions. This system also demands you come up with a Body Type, although this can be averted by having a single Body Type and using a point-buy system for that type.

You can also have a system of Gear Buy: A Main Gear is mandatory and costs 3 points, a Class gear costs 2 points, a Skill Gear costs a single point.

With Gear Buy, there are also Shift Gears. Shift Gears don't attach to the Main Gear, and affect the gear they're attached to. Say I had a Shift Gear that stated "Class Modifier becomes "+1 to all stats."" That would cost a single point, and if my character was still perfectly vanilla at 6 points, I might have that instead of a Skill Gear.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:14 am »

Roll to Time Shift.

The basic idea is that the players are using a malfunctioning time machine that makes the players time travel every turn. However, the basic situation doesn't change. Example: One turn you're being attacked by a samurai in a dark alley in Tokyo, the next turn your being arrested by the Gestapo for espionage in Paris. Next turn you're thrown in Jail by a modern policeman in New York, and next turn you're in Alcatraz as Al Capone's cellmate. The turn after that, its 2143, and a revolution on a human colonized planet is freeing all the prisoners.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: January 26, 2014, 11:56:07 pm »

What am I doing posting an idea here when I already have two in the works and recently dropped one?
Well, fact of the matter is, I have 2 forums that I frequent right now, and 2 that I can remember that I used to but currently don't; For a grand total of 4 eligible forums. One of them is... less active than the other 3. But quite an active community nonetheless. I would have preferred 12 forums...
But I digress.

Cross-Forum Robot Deathmatch!
A large list of parts is created, from which forum members may build fighting robots; Each robot is roughly the size of a pop-can. As well, the robot's response to stimuli is created. Once the designs are finalized and submitted, 2 robots from each forum are taken and set against each other in a 8-way battle royal. Multiple matches can be done at once, if enough designs are submitted.
Players and forums cannot directly control their robots once in the arena. However, their robots gain their forums points based on their actions, which may be used to purchase boons, which arrive in a fashion similar to the silver parachutes from The Hunger Games.

Robots are powered by packs that are generally in their chests... assuming the design is humanoid. Most are. The packs have limited energy, but by taking the energy from another bot, they can recharge. Whether this is their opponents, or Simulated Wildlife, they can continue operation through defeating another robot. No energy can be gained from a robot that ran out of power completely, however. Robots also make their decisions through a computer module located elsewhere; generally a head-structure. Separating this from the robot will make consumption of their energy easier by keeping them from attacking your robot back.

Power is delivered from one module to another through connections; either mechanical, or electric. Electric connections are basically wires and don't actually allow a module to move, but by putting a motor in the module or using a motorized module, you can use electric power and convert it into mechanical power at the site. Mechanical connections are clusters of interlocking gears at the connection between modules, that allow the module to receive power directly from the previous or next; but the power cost increases for every module between it and the source of mechanical energy, whereas electrical connections do not increase the cost based on distance. A balance between electric and mechanical energy distribution is required. There is another kind of connection, but it does not power anything. It is a computer connection, allowing control over the modules. Electricity isn't just used to control motors, though. Also, mechanical connections are complex enough that control is implied through which gears are turned.

The connections are built into the modules; Connections also have sizes, and can only be connected to the same size connection; but for connections with multiple sizes, can connect as long as they overlap. Additionally, a module may have multiple locations for modules, and slots for motors or accessories as well.

Let's take an example. The "Torso A32" module has a size 2-3 mechanical/2-3 electric {C} connection for each shoulder, a size 3-4 mechanical/3-4 electric connection at the neck, and a size 7-9 mechanical/8 electric connection at the waist (As well as a battery slot and a motor slot). The "Ext-Spine Naga" module has a size 7 mechanical/7 electric connection on top, a size 6 mechanical/5 electric connection on the bottom, and two accessory slots.
Can you guess where the spine can connect to the torso? Yes, at the waist. However, attaching further modules below the spine and putting a motor there would be useless, as the electric connection does not match. However, mechanical modules would match up enough that it could move.

The player contribution:
Participation of forum members would be encouraged. Each forum member has a budget, and can only buy so many modules. Usually not enough for a whole robot. Each who joins allows the forum to build more expensive robots. Sponsors of the robot fighting rings would pay attention to robots built on lighter budgets, though, and players would earn more by submitting leaner robots. Sponsors are NPCs and possibly designers of the non-competitive robots roaming the arenas, or even of the arenas themselves. However, despite their interest in the rings, their real interest is that they own other companies, such as oil companies, soft drink companies, software firms, or manufacturers of robot modules. You attract their attention better by appealing to their interests. Build a robot out of just one manufacturer's parts? They might give you more cash. Paint it to match the soft-drink company's logo, or program it to recreate the logo? Yep, more money from them.

This means that the forums with higher player participation will be at an advantage, due to increased initial funds from more players. But that's part of the point; as well, price rises faster for modules than their effectiveness or usefulness. Also, I'm aware that some players may attend multiple forums, sometimes under multiple names. They should keep in mind they'll be competing against themselves, but I won't disallow them from contributing to multiple robots.

If it isn't obvious that this is a humane simulation of a certain series who's name I've already dropped, you can probably figure it out by now. Except that instead of a post-apocalyptic world with an evil government, it's a highly commercialized and industrialized world with a large number of hobbyists and enthusiasts. And instead of children fighting to the death for survival, it's robots fighting for endorsements.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: January 29, 2014, 02:18:38 pm »

I've been thinking of game systems, and I think I finally found the line separating a "simple RPG" from an RTD. It's, quite literally, the roll to dodge. The size of the dice does not matter, the skills do not matter, and the existence of epic fails and overshots does not matter. But there can be no RTD if you don't get a roll to respond to an action.

This was found out when I was idly considering Battletech. Or more precisely, rereading some of my favorite BT novels. Anyway, I recalled that Battletech uses a reverse skill- and chart-based system. Lower skill values are better, and any action makes a fixed, unmodified die roll against the required skill value plus/minus situational modifiers. I.e. you have one 'mech pilot shoot another. The shooter rolls a d12, and must roll equal to or greater than the difficulty value, which starts at the shooter's Gunnery skill. Say, the gunnery skill is 4 - so he must roll a 4 or greater on the d12 - pretty easy. But, let's say the target is beyond the shooter's weapon's "optimal" range - which, for a laser, is as close as possible without being adjacent. Let's say it's a decent distance away. Plus the target had been running this turn, and is in the middle of some light forestation, slightly obscured by fog. The range penalty, the moving target penalty, and the cover penalty combined mean that the shooter must now roll an 8 on the d12 - a considerably higher roll. And that's if he was standing this turn, wasn't overheating his 'mech, wasn't in an uncomfortable firing position, and wasn't trying to shoot at another target simultaneously. Et cetera, et cetera.

So, I was thinking about this and RTDs, and I realized that if one were to try and adapt the ruleset to a PbP format, the result would never become an RTD. The rules do not allow the receiver of the action to make a roll to affect its result, instead using the prior actions of the receiver and other circumstances as modifiers to the difficulty of the action.

Anyways, yeah. Just an observation on the nature of the medium we're all enjoying around here.

((Would anyone be interested in testing out a hypothetical mapless adaptation of the Battletech rules, using an RTD premise but not actual RTD rules? Just checking. >_>))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: January 29, 2014, 02:43:09 pm »

We must discuss this, Sean. :X

And by that, I mean: Sure, open for testing!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:51:23 pm by Tiruin »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: January 29, 2014, 03:19:35 pm »

For a mecha fanatic, I never could get into Battletech. I like the media, but to me, it's not customizable enough, or it's miles above my head. I want more than "part goes here", though, you know?

---

Cross-Forum Robot Deathmatch sounds amazing, and it combines what I tried and failed to run from those racing game prototypes with company support.

I'd love to run a can-sized mecha building game one day. It would be hilarious if everyone's starting mech was basically a soda can transformer, too.
I think this is the way I'd try and do things:

Core: The Core, or Body, is the most important part of the mecha. Some cores have connected parts already- sometimes a mecha comes complete and can't be augmented with different parts, sometimes it's just special legs or arms or a head. They come in Small, Medium, and Large sizes, where Mediums most closely match soda cans.

Arms: Arms. Most cores can have two. Some arms have built in weapons. Some arms HOLD weapons. Some even do both.

Legs: Legs. Most cores can only have one set of legs. Simple enough.

Boosters: Boosters aid in jumping, flying, dashing, and all sorts of other maneuvering above that of what legs can do.

Head: Rarely has any weapon, generally affects things very little unless they involve sight

---

Weapons come in SS, S, M, L, and LL size. There's also the LLL weapon, but only one exists and it's location is unknown. Very few mecha can wield it at all.

I'll likely use a combat system similar to Perplexicon, with a few additions here and there.

As a sample, let's take, oh, three common starter bots.

Teppa Core (M sized. Head is connected. Booster is connected. Two Arm slots. One Legs slot.) This core looks somewhat feminine, it's booster standing out as what appears to be a huge backpack. )
Teppa AM1: Normal arm. Can hold one weapon.
Teppa AM2: Normal arm, has a built in weapon (Shield).
Teppa LG1: Bipedal legs, these are built like an exosuit and have an extra booster slot
Teppa BS1: The backpack. It has a dual built in weapon- a huge gatling-sword. Activating it requires an empty hand weapon slot.
Teppa BS2: A very small and weak booster attached to the LGs. When added to the weak thrust of the backpack, gives just under normal jumping capability.
Teppa HD: Fairly basic Head part. Looks like a glorified Revoltech figure or something...

Piranha Core (S sized. No Head slot/integrated HD. Two Arm slots. One Leg slot. One Booster slot.) This core has a built in biting melee attack. It looks like a humanoid, but with the upper torso being nothing but hungry fish.
Piranha AM1: Basic arm. Can hold one weapon.
Piranha AM1: Basic arm. Can hold one weapon.
Piranha LG1: Hovering fin-legs. Quick and fragile.
Piranha BS1: Two large thrusters under four fins. Provides excellent thrust and the ability to drift slowly rather than land from a jump.
>Micro SMG: SS sized machinegun.
>Micro SMG: SS sized machinegun.

---

Cores can also be augmented with Gears, which add abilities, built in weapons, damage types, etc.
New robots can be obtained in various ways:
1. Purchase Direct: They can be purchased directly, but this is normally expensive and it's very unlikely a unique variant of a model will ever go on sale for any length of time.
2. Garapon: Will you get a gold ball? These contain an assortment of mecha, weapons, gears, and sometimes junk. Cheap, but also a game of chance.
3. Recycler: Put three mecha in, get one mecha out. If you put in three of the same mecha, you're guaranteed to get a variant mecha out. For instance, putting in three Teppas would give me a Teppa, but different arms or legs or booster, named differently, but still common to Teppa (Teppa LG3, or something, on the "Teppa Io" or something.)
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: February 01, 2014, 01:38:08 pm »

I redownloaded the chzo mythos games on my computer today, and got an idea for an RtD. It would be somewhat like a mafia game with RtD mechanics.
The premise would be pretty much the same as 5 days a stranger, ie. the players are all trapped in a house for different reasons, and they can't find any way to escape. The players would have to work together to survive. One of the twists would be that some of the items in the house would be cursed/possesed and any player touching those items would become possesed, and forced to prevent the others from escaping. I suppose the onyl problem with this would be the possesion, since it could be either too easy or too hard to figure out which items are possesed.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: February 02, 2014, 11:19:27 am »

If I was the GM, I would have one item that insists on possessing you, making you drop the item/put it back, then repossess the item.
You can never actually get the item, and everyone is confused by EVERYONE going "You pick up the item, and put it back. You don't know why."
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 661